protein shake

Options
I have been drinking a protein shake called bebuff by GNC once or twice a day. it's soy protein, and very good in a blender with ice. but my question is... i usually put a banana or different berries in this, along with light soy milk, or greek yogurt, or both. this really boosts the protein to 25 to 30 grams. and about 300 to 400 calories for the smoothie. this keeps me full until WELL into my afternoon. But my question is, is drinking all of that fruit, milk, and protein easier for my body to digest? does anyone have any other suggestions of protein shakes? Usually i think they are gross, but this is by far the most delicious one that i have found. i don't care for the chocolate as much as the vanilla. and i have found putting a banana in the smoothie really helps give it some texture and flavor!

Replies

• kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Nope, you are doing exactly what I do. FYI - the protein shake I use is called "Pro-Complex", one scoop has 30g of protein and the vanilla and chocolate are both very tasty. My fav is the chocolate with a banana, a few strawberries and either non-fat milk or non-fat Greek yogurt.
  • oklahoma_cowgirl_51
    Options
    how many calories is in a scoop of procomplex? the one that i use is 100 calories per scoop and 15 g protein. i'm kind of afraid of whey protein, so i've been going the soy route.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I use Iso Sensation 93 vanilla bean and it is 30g protien per scoop. I reccomend it to my clients and they love it.I prefer Whey protien over soy. There is nothing wrong with bulking the shake up but then that is more like a meal replacement then a snack. I usually make mine with water. I dont drink milk hardly at all. I makes me retain water and makes me bloated to I stay away from it. Now yogurt does not do that to me just milk. So One scoop of the protien i use is 30g with out all that added stuff and has no sugar or artifial crap in it
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The Pro Complex is 130 calories per 30g scoop, no fat and 2 carbs. My doctor recommended it to me and I really like it, which is a lot more than I can say for the vast majority of protein powders out there. FYI - Pro Complex is in the MFP database.
  • Kresent
    Kresent Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I really like Peacful Planet sprouted rice protein. It's vegan and mixes easily without a blender. 90 cals and 15g protein. I just dump a scoop in my juices when I need more protein.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I use Nature's Plus Spiru-Tein Non-GMO soy - it has 80 calories and 14g of protein. I mix it with a banana, water, berries, Greek yogurt etc. It also has 100% of all the daily recommended vitamins so it serves as a multi-vitamin for me. Like you, I prefer vanilla because it provides more options for mixing with fruits etc.

Someone recently recommended Pure Protein, so I am going to try that for a couple of weeks. It is a whey protein vs. soy. It has 25g of protein, 140 calories, and 2g of sugar.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    There have been some studies done that show that liquifying food does actually make you feel fuller for longer even if it is the exact same calories/nutrients.
  • unocentavo
    unocentavo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Advanced Whey Protein from Walmart for about 15 bucks. You can't beat the price. 2 scoops, a little water, 2 heaping tbsp dry nonfat milk or yogurt and you've got about 60 grams of protein. The vanilla tastes excellent to me. The chocolate and strawberry leave a little to be desired in my opinion. Soy protein just has a funky taste to me.
  • oklahoma_cowgirl_51
    Options
    this is good to know!!!! thank you!
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Advanced Whey Protein from Walmart for about 15 bucks. You can't beat the price. 2 scoops, a little water, 2 heaping tbsp dry nonfat milk or yogurt and you've got about 60 grams of protein. The vanilla tastes excellent to me. The chocolate and strawberry leave a little to be desired in my opinion. Soy protein just has a funky taste to me.

Isn't the caloric content on that one pretty "high" - if I remember correctly it is around 270 - I can't remember if that was for one or two scoops.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cycle4fun
    Options
    I never had a protein shake, until two days ago. I was at Blenz and ordered a 100% fruit, 30%whey protein, yogurt shake. I chose the PB-Chocolate-Banana and it was super creamy, delicious, cold protein shake. Later I found out it has over 700 calories! BIG shock, almost felt guilty. But it kept me full till 7 pm when I ate a small dinner. The protein 'dose' seem to be very good, keeps you full and is way better than a fat 700 calories meal. So from now on, yes I go for protein shakes. I know where to get them now, but making it yourself, what would you buy and where? I live in Canada.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I never had a protein shake, until two days ago. I was at Blenz and ordered a 100% fruit, 30%whey protein, yogurt shake. I chose the PB-Chocolate-Banana and it was super creamy, delicious, cold protein shake. Later I found out it has over 700 calories! BIG shock, almost felt guilty.
    Most shakes aren't going to be 700 calories. Syntha-6 by BSN is 200 per scoop.
  • cycle4fun
    Options
    I never had a protein shake, until two days ago. I was at Blenz and ordered a 100% fruit, 30%whey protein, yogurt shake. I chose the PB-Chocolate-Banana and it was super creamy, delicious, cold protein shake. Later I found out it has over 700 calories! BIG shock, almost felt guilty.
    Most shakes aren't going to be 700 calories. Syntha-6 by BSN is 200 per scoop.

http://www.blenz.com/_pdf/library/ProteinShakeInfo.pdf
  • HerbieSue
    Options
    My protein drink of choice is with Designer Whey Vanilla Protein Powder, Almond Dream Unsweetened Vanilla Milk and 1/2 cup frozen strawberries with a little flaxseed powder, very filling. Sometimes I use Almond Breeze Unsweetened Chocolate Milk with Designed Whey Chocolate Protein Powder and also add the frozen strawberries and flaxseed powder. The frozen strawberries make it thick in the blender, like a milkshake.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Most large grocery stores and pharmacies carry protein powders, or any GNC or most health food stores carry them. Health food stores are usually the most expensive.