Weighing vs measuring food

Options
12346»

Replies

• _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The weight of the onion is to be weighed before you chop it up not after. You are inflating calories this way.
    Just like you weigh meat before cooking not after.

Typically you don't weigh meat before. A serving of chicken is approximately 4 oz raw or 3 oz cooked. Most databases use cooked meat values (according to a few articles I've read). When you cook meat, you lose some of the fat.

On the weight of the onion, weighing it after you chop it is fine since there is no change in moisture content or anything else occuring during the chopping. If you are weighing it raw, weighing it chopped or whole shouldn't make a calorie difference, except if you discard part of the onion while chopping, then your weight would be off.

As for weighing meat, to be the most accurate, you should weigh it BEFORE cooking as the raw weight is much more accurate than the cooked weight. In the MFP database, if you put in chicken breast, raw or ribeye steak, raw, etc. it is easy to find these measurements that use raw instead of cooked. The reason for weighing anything (meat or veggies) raw is that when you cook something, the final weight is determined by how much moisture is lost or gained, which can vary greatly. You really aren't losing a ton of fat when you cook most items. The only time I really make an exception to the pre-cooked and after cooked weight is ground meat when I cook the meat and drain AND rinse the meat. Then, I look for an entry that describes that process. In that case, you are losing a good deal of fat through the cooking and draining and rinsing process. But, if you start with boneless skinless chicken, there's really very little fat to lose during cooking.

A great example of why raw weight is better than cooked weight is steak. You could start with an 8 oz ribeye and have it cooked medium-rare and weigh 6.5 oz cooked and then go ahead and cook it further to make it well done and the final weight could be 5 oz cooked. Track it raw and you are tracking nearly 450 calories; using one of the "cooked, grilled" entries, the medium rare 6.5 oz steak comes out to about 439 calories but the well done 5 oz cooked steak only comes up as 336 calories. That's a huge discrepency for that one piece of meat when the only thing that changed was how much moisture was lost. The same happens with pork chops and chicken and lots of foods. If you cook yours and it comes out "dry" and weighs an ounce less than mine does, but we both started with the same size chop, are you really getting less calories than me? Nope, you're just getting less moisture.

Just being off by a little bit here and there can quickly lead to frustration and "stalls".

This is exactly the info I have been looking for.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Interesting....
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Most of the things I eat match up pretty well measured in volume or by weight -- i.e., two tablespoons of peanut butter actually weigh 32g, half a cup of cottage cheese actually weighs 125g, etc. I don't know if this is a fluke of my scale, a fluke of my measuring utensils, or just the fact that I work food service and understand how to properly measure by volume (without "packing").

I do still weigh everything but pourable liquids, though. A lot of times I'll log something (cottage cheese is the perfect example) by cups, but I'll weigh those cups to make sure my grams are in line with the serving size; in other words, if the label says a serving is "1/2 cup or 125g," I will use my 1/2 cup measuring cup, weigh it to make sure it's 125g, but then log it as 1/2 cup. Usually I do this when there is no weight option in the database, as I am generally too lazy to make my own entries.

My one caveat is dry carbs like pasta, rice, and cereal. Those little f*ckers have to be weighed and there's just no telling what volume measurement the proper serving will be. I've started avoiding them a little, just for that reason.
  • DietCokeGal
    DietCokeGal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great thread, thanks! Food for thought for sure.