inch loss not happening!!

Options
:frown: PLEASE HELP!! Why is it that my waist and hip measurements are the same as they were two years ago when i weighed 20lbs more!! I exercise 5 days a week, have an active job, and stick as close as possible to my calorie goals that MFP set. it is a bit soul destroying, when you think you are doing everything right, and in reality, nothing much has changed!

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    How much strength training do you do? That is what tons the body and builds lean body mass.
  • AnneMelody
    AnneMelody Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i mostly do cardio, fat burning in the gym three days, and swim a mile two days, I just started to add some weight training about three weeks ago, Do you think that will help?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Yes. Strength training will help and you should also figure out how much protein you should be taking in. mfp's defaults are set pretty low at 15%.

What happened is you lost muscle along with the fat. I lost 60lbs but only went from a 22 to 18. With that amount, I expected to lose a lot more measurement wise and I was also seriously flabby from it.

I added and started focusing more and more on strength training and fluctuate between a 5-10lb additional loss since Sept. 2012, but I've gone from an 18 to 13.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Cardio only makes you skinny fat. You need to lift heavy weights.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Strength training will help.

It's possible you've been losing inches in places that you aren't measuring. This always happens to my husband-- he wants to lose from his waist but it's the last place his measurements start going down.

It's also possible you're losing muscle as mentioned above.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    1) hormones will play a part in why you haven't seen inches off your waist. It is a sad fact of life for women once we get past our 40s.

2) strength training will help you whittle that waist a bit where cardio will fail you in this particular area. Besides maintaining muscle mass, strength training has a nice additional effect to maintaining bone density and keeping hormones balanced as we age. I've only taken up lifting since I hit 40, and it has done wonders for me.