Depression and over eating

Options
Hey everyone I'm shantel. I've been trying hard to go from 170 to 140 but I feel like I'm back sliding lately. It's hard for me to stay away from junk food, especially when I'm feeling down. Like many people I'm a recent college grad, in debt and lost my job. Food somehow makes me feel better. Now some of my hard work is being reversed because I can't stop eating sometimes and too depressed to excercise. Anyone going through the same thing?

Replies

• Charlotte318
    Charlotte318 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I also overeat when I get depressed or bored BUT it only makes me feel worse. I graduated college in December and thought my life would drastically change (weight loss, more money, quit smoking, etc.). Everyday is a continuous struggle and I am trying my best to get back on track. I certainly haven't found the answer to this problem as I am still experiencing this. I do recommend exercise. I have started walking daily (even just a short time) and I find that I am not waking up tired and my overall mood is much better. The scale isn't really moving but it will! Good luck to you!
  • itsis223
    itsis223 Posts: 1
    Options
    I find that any kind of cardio exercise elevates my mood - biking up and down a hill 5 or 6 times helps me feel a lot better. No need to dress differently, just hop on the bike and find a hill.
  • andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Where I live I have a favorite place I like to go walking. When I go I notice a lot of women (of all ages) doing the same thing. They frequently can be seen together in pairs or groups of three & almost always chatting up a storm while they walk. They seem to be quite happy doing this. So I would try to find someone to walk (& talk) with. The nice thing about walking for fitness is you can elevate your pulse rate yet still have enough breath to talk while you walk. Good luck in your fitness & weight loss journey!