question for the ladies.

Options
im just wondering if anyone weighs themselves on the week they are on their monthly cycle??

im fairly new to all this and my time has come for that "time of the month"

iv heard your weight fluxuates alot more when its that time.

should i just leave it til next week to weigh myself??

Replies

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I do, but I see an increase of anything from 3 to 5lbs which is just water weight and disappears right afterwards. If seeing a gain would discourage you then don't weigh.
  • beka2699
    beka2699 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I was wondering the same thing:)
  • Shawna_831
    Shawna_831 Posts: 316
    Options
    I do and if I've gained any then I don't record it. However, if I lose then I do record it. :wink:
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just remember that I ALWAYS gain up to 5 pounds that week, so I say to myself whatever :) Come the end of this week, it will feel like a -huge- victory cause that will all come right off again! Lol.

Besides, I've learned that my body fluctuates, period, and I'm doing cardio -and- strength training so sometimes I'll see weight gain, but it's not always for the worse. I gained 10 lbs in 6 weeks in basic training, and I was devastated.. come to find out I'd lost at least 4 inches.

You have to focus more on how your body feels, and how your clothes are fitting than what the scale says. Trust me, you'll stay much more motivated that way.
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I always do. I know when its coming so I drink extra water in hopes that it helps....it must, cause I usually still always lose my regular 1-2 pounds a week! Controlling the cravings the week before is the hard part---and I guess if you don't do that, then of course you're going to have a gain!!
  • daydreem81
    daydreem81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends. I have heard that it can add a few pounds to you (water weight), but in my case I lost 2 pounds that week. I would weigh yourself like normal and just keep track of it and compare it to the next months weight. That way you can see if it is a pattern during that time.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I continue to weigh myself (I weigh daily) but I don't record any gains on here so my ticket goes backwards. I know it's water weight. I'm stuck with that issue now. I can't tell if it's that or I'm in a legit plateau. I'll have to wait a few days to really know.
  • 19marie74
    Options
    I still lost 2 pounds this week and I am in the middle of mine. I really thought it would be a gain. But I am drinking lots of water so maybe that helped. I also weigh every day and also at night. But only record once a week. I guess if I had gained I might not record it.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I usually see an increase of 3-4 pounds a couple days before it starts and then a couple days into it I pee my life away and the 3-4 extra pounds are gone.

I also seem to gain a little (1-2) around the time I ovulate. Fun! :tongue:
  • showers1989
    showers1989 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i do but dont record it. i am right now and it says i gained even though i worked out and ate good so i know its just water. so its a personal preference as to if you can handle seeing a weight gain. but at the end i usually lose the water weight plus an extra pound or two
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I just remember that I ALWAYS gain up to 5 pounds that week, so I say to myself whatever :) Come the end of this week, it will feel like a -huge- victory cause that will all come right off again! Lol.

Besides, I've learned that my body fluctuates, period, and I'm doing cardio -and- strength training so sometimes I'll see weight gain, but it's not always for the worse. I gained 10 lbs in 6 weeks in basic training, and I was devastated.. come to find out I'd lost at least 4 inches.

You have to focus more on how your body feels, and how your clothes are fitting than what the scale says. Trust me, you'll stay much more motivated that way.

I gained 8lbs in basic training, but like you said I lost inches. Sometimes a tape measure of different body parts is a better way to check than just using a scale.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I continue to weigh myself and expect the gain of 3-8 pounds, but don't record it. I usually have the nice addition of constipation for a few days after TOM, so I wait until my next "weigh day" to enter it on MFP. Then it doesn't look so bad :ohwell:
  • porridgesucks
    Options
    i put 3lb on the week before but doesn't stay x
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have an obsession with my scale, I weigh everytime I walk into the bathroom. However, I only record on Mondays and NEVER on TOM's week. It's easier on my ego that way.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think if you're going to be discouraged by a fluctuation from water weight, it's best to not step on the scale. But if you can understand why it happens and not get upset about it, then weigh yourself.

Because of birth control, I haven't had a normal cycle in years and years, so I don't even know how my period affects my weight!