Options for High Iron Foods

Options
CandelLife
CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
I'm hoping to get some ideas here for foods high in iron but low in carbs and calories. I've been using rice and beans and peanut butter for the most part but you can see those options are not good on carbs and calories. Ideas please?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Take a multivitamin with iron?
  • Raeesa007
    Raeesa007 Posts: 13
    Options
    Beetroot :smile: My favourite
    Nuts (Cashew, Pine, Hazelnut, Peanut, Almond)
  • crl115
    crl115 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Red meat, fish, mollusks, poultry, Egg yolks, Dark leafy greens (such as spinach, kale, broccoli, collards), Beans, lentils, chick peas, soybeans, Liver, Artichokes, dried fruits & nuts
  • veracalore
    veracalore Posts: 14
    Options
    I do an iron supplement called perfect iron.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    lentils, greens- i think spinach is higher than the others, cocoa powder, rolled or steel cut oats,
    cream of wheat, edamame and tofu that isn't fortified with calcium. raisin bran is pretty high in iron, but
    also high in carbs, cals depends on your serving size.

avoid: tea and calcium with the iron supplement or meal, they inhibit absorption.
    don't take your bran with your iron supplement.

if you are anemic, make sure you're taking vitamin D3 too. It also causes anemia.
  • starryvagabond
    starryvagabond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to be extremely anemic. I take an iron supplement 3 times a day (65mg) and it has helped. Though mine was a very extreme case (I'm still anemic, even after taking the supplements every day for two-three years). I'd recommend green leafy veggies and red meat.
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I'll add these to my diet next grocery trip, some i have in the cabinet. I have very low iron and need to get my numbers up.

Only thing, calcium inhibits absorption of iron? Because of the depo provera shot I take extra calcium to make sure I don't get osteoporosis like my mother has, it's a side effect of the depo shot.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Red meat
  • katy_trail
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I'll add these to my diet next grocery trip, some i have in the cabinet. I have very low iron and need to get my numbers up.

Only thing, calcium inhibits absorption of iron? Because of the depo provera shot I take extra calcium to make sure I don't get osteoporosis like my mother has, it's a side effect of the depo shot.

yes, just divide up where your emphasis is. for instance take the calcium before bed, and it absorbs while you sleep.
    or emphasize breakfast is for iron, and dinner is focused on calcium.

i like to make a whole meal/bowl centered around the nutrient.
    Example: bowl of iron: sauteed greens, lentils (or other legumes) and white meat chicken.
    It's incredibly filling, and full of nutrition. even better if you have other veggies with it.
    I usually also top that with some salsa.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    Also, doing strength training will help you with fat loss, maintaining muscle, and prevent osteoporosis.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Try tempeh- it's a cultured vegetarian item made from different things like soy beans, flax, multigrain, etc. It's high in protein, calcium, and iron. It can be prepared different ways but steaming it for about 15 minutes is a good idea prior to using it in any recipes as it has a bit of a bitter taste according to some newbys. I made it the other day by sautéing some chopped red bell pepper and onion in EVOO, then crumbling the steamed tempeh and mixing it all together with some Cattlemen's Tangy Carolina Gold BBQ sauce. Serve on Kaiser roll. Quick and Yum!
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Thanks! I really appreciate all the advice, especially like the idea of centering each meal around what I need at different times so they work better. I'll start taking the calcium at night instead of the morning, that should make a big difference! I love all these ideas and am so glad I asked!
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Red meat. Pumpkin seeds. Spinach. Molasses.
  • 55sc
    55sc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C helps the absorbtion of iron, so when I was taking iron several times a day prior to a surgery, I took a supplement with V-C (and drank V-8) along with the iron.
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Options
    If most of your iron is from vegetable sources, try to go over the daily amount. Iron is poorly absorbed from non-meat sources, including supplements.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hershey's Special Dark unsweetened cocoa. 10% RDA of iron per tablespoon. I put a spoonful in my smoothies.
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Ok spinach in the form of spinach leaves for salad is yummy, but the wet soppy kind? Ewwwww lol... I just can't and I have tried many times. I wonder if the dry form is better or worse? I also like it in a quiche.

Special dark cocoa, may be an idea but I just broke that old habit of my homemade iced coffee with crushed ice and Quick brand chocolate... unsweetened cocoa.... calories?

Vitamin C is probably what I get the least of, it may be in my "Velocity Silver" vitamins I take, but I can't have anything acidic like the fruits or juices because of acid reflux.

I do love my veggies!
  • katy_trail
    Options
    you'll be surprised how many foods have vitamin C.
    everything from salsa, kiwi is loaded with it, even potatoes have some.