Exercise ideas!!!

Good morning all,

Really need exercise ideas...I have just been told that I have tendonitis in my elbows and top of my right foot...Was told that I can longer walk...run..dance or Zumba which were my choices of exercise which I really enjoyed ...Now am at a lost of what I can do. Feeling very frustrated....Swimming really isn't an option as I live in the middle of no where so going to a public pool is far and would become very expensive at around $4 a visit...I don't have a bike either so that's out also :(

I did recalculate my TDEE and have adjusted my calorie intake.

Feeling very discouraged so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jenniferwoodweeg
    jenniferwoodweeg Posts: 45 Member
    I was just reading some ideas in this months Shape mag for work-outs from your desk, etc. maybe google some on internet and use the ones that won't cause further damage until u heal.
  • rachelc677
    rachelc677 Posts: 83 Member
    I have a hard time believing that you can't walk. Running-- not a great idea until you're healed.. But walking should be fine. It's not like you have to roll around in a wheelchair or something! I've had severe tendonitis before too. (So badly that they thought there was something broken and had to X-Ray.) You may have to take it easy for awhile, but walking in moderation is not going to harm you indefinitely. Make sure to elevate and ice your foot afterward. (Practice moderation, pace yourself and rest frequently.)

According to my DR...No I can't walk as a form of exercise....No walking more then necessary at least not for now as when I walk there is cracking on the top of my foot :(
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    I read somewhere that statistically you can create a bigger calorie deficit with diet than with exercise - so if you had to choose one to change start with diet. I'd say if you can maintain a calorie deficit through diet you could be able to carry on until you can exercise again. That said, upper body strength and abs would be a good workout idea in the mean time. Maybe this is a good time to give those areas more focus. Make a positive out of a negative - I'd focus on "Bingo Wings" myself - but that's one of my big problem areas.
  • addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Fitness blender channel on you tube has some nice low impact workouts. If you can't walk , they won't work but once you start to heal they might be a good gentle way to ease back in to exercising. And I agree with arms and ab work and just skip the ones that put strain on the foot.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    - Fitnessblender.com
    - Blogilates.com
    - Bodyrock.tv
    - Nike Training app
    - Backonpointe.tumblr.com
    - Pinterest has loooooaaaads of exercise.
    - YouTube. Tons of low impact cardio and free yoga.
    - Chair aerobics

Prove everyone wrong. Work on building your endurance up so you can be mobile.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    biking?
  • LaurieJ68
    LaurieJ68 Posts: 22 Member
    You should check out the Chair Gym. It might cost you a few $$ but sometimes they do offer a trial period in your home for like $14.95 or something like that to see if you like it. If you do then you can make payments on it.

I looked up the website: https://www.chairgym.com/EMCG/20.0000/Index.dtm

And, no, I don't sell them. LOL But it sounds like it would be perfect for you!
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    until things are healed you can concentrate on floor type stuff i.e. crunches abs,back, hips, sides ,neck). No excuses!
  • A paraplegic can do isometrics. All you need are some workout bunggies. Order off the net, be at your door in a few days. Or go to the hardware store, get some bunggie cords, and fashion them into a workout bunggie. You can also do lots with nothing, using your body weight. Sit ups, pushups, pull ups ,leg extensions, etc.Only excuse for not exercising is lack of motivation.

When your foot heals, consider getting a hybrid bicycle and riding the back roads. Very relaxing and great way to burn cals while seeing the countryside. Be careful with that though. Might get addicted.

Best wishes.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    until things are healed you can concentrate on floor type stuff i.e. crunches abs,back, hips, sides ,neck). No excuses!

^^^this and a few others would be leg lifts, biking in the air, pilate moves, arm circles (so you are not engaging the elbows), arm lifts, etc.
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Are you allowed to use an elliptical? From playing hockey over the years, I tore my meniscus in one of my knees. Prior to an operation to fix me up, I was having problems in my knees and shins if I ran or walked too long. I gave the elliptical a shot and found it eased my woes. Low impact and easy on the joints. Still use it even post-op as I get my knee back on track. Great cardio and easier on the body if you have issues. Hopefully that's an option.