What is the best time to exercise in humid weather?

Options
I catch my weekly bus every morning at 7:15 a.m. and get home by 6:00 p.m. during the week. It's very humid here - high dew points are the norm - and I don't want to be wimp and hide inside when I could be walking or biking outside during the summer.

Do I have to get up at the crack of dawn or wait until the sun sets to exercise during humid weather? I'm not a morning person and realistically I can't get up earlier than 6 a.m. (I've tried but can't).

I like to walk or bike around 8:00 p.m. in the evenings which I did throughout June, but July has been really humid and I'm scared I'll get heat stroke or dehydrated because I'm 50 pounds overweight already.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Replies

• srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Having the sun beat down on you is going to make it hotter--try to exercise in the shade if you can. :) Really, though, the most important piece is hydration. Keep water with you when exercising outside at ALL times, and make sure to rest if you start feeling tired or short of breath beyond what you normally would. I seriously can't stress it enough. Water, water, water!!
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I would take a sprayer for water x if not... Swim x
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Gym!

Seriously, i'm right there with you. When it's 100 degrees or so I generally give up and go to the gym, but otherwise I do earlier mornings on the weekends (7ish) or later evening walks. Watch your forecast and take advantage of any lucky cooler/less humid times.

But otherwise, I would say just walk. Pay attention to yourself, if you get overheated easily stop and take a break (ie, dizzy, light headed, sick at your stomach...look up heat exhaustion symptoms and be mindful). You will adjust over a few weeks if you just go out and do it. I wouldn't do anything insanely taxing in 100 degree heat/high heat index, but walking and light biking should be fine. I definately agree with the suggestion to bring water with you.

Just being overweight won't make it impossible to walk or bike, just pay attention to your body and how it reacts to the heat and take it easy for the first week or two if you can't pick a cooler time to work out. Maybe save your hard stuff for weekends.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'd go at night and invest in a camelbak so you can bring lots of water with you. I have one designed for biking that holds up to 100oz
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wait till 7:30pm to take my dogs for their "long walk'. Any earlier and the sun is just too intense. The best time would be right before the sun comes up and 7:30pm or later, or if you have a very shady path. Sometimes I walk at the park, there are a lot of shade trees, but I still need a hat and it is still really hot. Swimming is another good option.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The best time to exercise in humid, hot, cold, or any other weather is when you can make yourself get it done.

It was mid September in southern Arizona (tail end of monsoon season and still 100+ degrees out) when I started and was well over 100 pounds overweight. I walked around my neighborhood every evening because I didn't have a gym membership and couldn't manage much else in the form of exercise.

You may very well sweat more than more slender and/or more fit people (although I always have been more sweaty than other people, even after I got fit) just make sure you've had plenty of fluids and electrolytes (I was always in the bad habit of passing out because of not enough sodium or potassium so be careful of that) before, during, and/or after you exercise and you should be fine.

If you find that the weather is contributing to you making excuses not to work out, you should strongly consider getting a gym membership.
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Know how you feel. We're currently experiencing a heat wave here in Nova Scotia but compared to Japan where we had monsoons, it's still more bearable. This is perfect weather to swim for exercise, if that's a possibility for you. There might be a pool that would be open after supper, or that you could stop off at on the way home from work. If you have a bicycle, it's a little less strenuous to do that in humid weather, and the breeze helps cool you a bit. In Japan I would often end up walking or riding my bike at 10:00 pm or after, but it was relatively safe there. If you had a buddy, and depending where you live, that might work for you. One thing that helps, is to get a neckcloth or thin towel and wet it down and tie it around your neck. I think there are even ones you can buy to put ice in. As others said, remember to drink a lot and slow down in hot humid weather because your body works much much harder in heat and humidity. Remember the turtle-- she who keeps moving, even slowly, wins the race. :)
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I catch my weekly bus every morning at 7:15 a.m. and get home by 6:00 p.m. during the week. It's very humid here - high dew points are the norm - and I don't want to be wimp and hide inside when I could be walking or biking outside during the summer.

Do I have to get up at the crack of dawn or wait until the sun sets to exercise during humid weather? I'm not a morning person and realistically I can't get up earlier than 6 a.m. (I've tried but can't).

I like to walk or bike around 8:00 p.m. in the evenings which I did throughout June, but July has been really humid and I'm scared I'll get heat stroke or dehydrated because I'm 50 pounds overweight already.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

AVOID the sun! That's a must! If you can at all locate a tree-lined and breezy stretch and incline combination, attempting it at around 9ish would suit you best, for the heat from the day's rays would've subsided by then, ONLY that what I'm concerned about are your energy levels following a long day's normative work/travel volume. IF you feel that your body can't take it, then I too am forced to concur with the others who've recommended alternative indoors based workout alternatives, 'til the climes are more accommodating for you.

There is no need at all for you to torture yourself, if your body's not used to extremes.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Anytime you can. When it's hot and/or humid, may just have to temper your expectations and slow down a bit. You are still going to get the benefit from the workout.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick with before 10am or after about 6pm. It's 7pm-ish now, and it's actually almost pleasant outside. Definitely avoid anything midday - the worst is usually about 10am to 2pm when the sun is highest.

Always pack lots of water - get a camelback or hydration belt if you don't want to have to carry a water bottle - and sip liberally as you go. Take it easy and start small until you know your limits. You'll be fine - 2 years ago when I started running I was totally overweight and out of shape and it was the middle of a July heat wave, but I went early in the morning before it got really bad and brought plenty of water with me and I was fine. It was definitely a pleasant surprise to me though the first time I went for a run in the nice, cool, crisp fall air!
  • happyerwriter01
    Options
    It's 7:55 p.m. and still 90 degrees with a heat index of 92 degrees. I definitely won't be going outside tonight for a walk or bike ride. Too humid.

Thanks everyone for your posts and advice. I'm going to try the early morning exercise, and take everyone's suggestions to make sure I take care of myself properly when I exercise during this summer heat.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I live in a very humid location. I exercise mostly in the evenings. If I workout during the middle of the day, I do it indoors where there's either air-conditioning or large fans. I don't exercise outside when the sun is at its hottest.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Anytime you can. When it's hot and/or humid, may just have to temper your expectations and slow down a bit. You are still going to get the benefit from the workout.

^^This
    I live in the south. I sometimes walk at noon in the sun. I will either walk slower or cut back to 7 miles. Also, make sure you have extra water. People work outside in the heat and humidity every day. You can still exercise, just make the proper adjustments.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When it's hot, and especially if it's humid (rare for us, but suffered through it all last week), I'm out the door as soon as it's light enough, usually by 5:45am. Love getting it done early, being out there before most of the city is moving, and catching the sunrise while I'm getting my run. :smile:

I did a 4 mile race on the 4th of July, with humidity at about 50%, and 84º at race time (7am). Hardest 4 miles I've ever run - the sun was brutal, and humidity absolutely zapped me. :tongue:

If you want to avoid the worst of it, you gotta figure out a way to get yourself out the door at dawn. It's worth it!
  • happyerwriter01
    Options
    Tonight I waited another 30 minutes after I posted and checked the temperature. It had dropped enough so I grabbed a bottle of Gatorade and walked 1.5 miles but that walk took me 30 minutes because it was still humid and I'm not in great physical shape yet. I'm still at that stage of overweight-ness where the thighs rub together during walking which is really embarrassing since I'm petite. But I have to start somewhere.

I'll try to exercise tomorrow morning at 6 a.m. when I wake up, maybe try a 2 mile bike ride (I can't go any farther yet). Again, I'm 170 pounds (50 pounds over my ideal weight limit for my height).

I drank the whole Gatorade on my walk tonight. I realize that 1.5 miles may not be too impressive to most here who post, but it's a huge accomplishment for me.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    outside: a.m., evenings

other times: gym; air con, pool
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing well. Congrats for going out and exercising even if it was hard. I had the thighs problem when I first stated. Just make sure you wear longer shorts or tights, preferably in some slippery fabric, rather than bare skin and you won't notice it so much or get chafed.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It's 7:55 p.m. and still 90 degrees with a heat index of 92 degrees.
    I'm from the south and I would consider that a pleasantly cool day :) Last year it was frequently 105-110! Insanity. That really was too hot.
    walked 1.5 miles but that walk took me 30 minutes because it was still humid
    That's great! Just do what you can do for now, you'll work up to more intensity later (maybe by the time it's cool again!).
    Just make sure you wear longer shorts or tights
    Agree with this. I have several of those basketball kind of shorts that I use for walking/running because they are nice and long. I have some this heat resistent capris (UA I think) too, but it's too hot to want to wear capri's sometimes...
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but you may just have to get used to setting your alarm earlier. You do get used to it quickly, honest!

Alternatively, if you're running for 45 minutes or less, you can solve the problem with better organisation. Lay your kit and water bottle out the night before. Get up, fall into it, take a big glug of water and head out the door. Home and stretch by 6.45, showered, dressed and at the bus stop by 7.15. Breakfast at work or have one-the-go food in your bag. Bingo!
  • happyerwriter01
    Options
    Wow you all are so awesome with your responses. Now I feel motivated to set my alarm earlier than normal (5:30!) so that I can get in a work-out and still have time to shower, eat breakfast, and catch my 7:15 a.m. bus. Gonna try it starting tomorrow morning. will keep you all updated.

Oh, on a sad note, I had to return my bike and helmet, lock, water bottle, water bottle cage for financial reasons. I really hate being fresh out of grad school, working a $12/hr job at my age. It's very humbling and sometimes depressing. Oh well, I buy the bike next month after I budget it back in! I hate being single when these situations arise.