White Rice

Options
Is there one that's better for you than others? I don't really like brown rice, so trying to figure out the best option.... unless you have a really great brown rice suggestion!

Replies

• crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    try basmati rice lower calories
  • sarebear97
    sarebear97 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    keep trying the brown rice, it took a bit to grow on me too. I love the nuttiness it has to it now.
  • HappyMeLovely
    HappyMeLovely Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Try ricing a cauliflower. Chop a fresh head of cauliflower into florets then shred in the food processor and voila! To cook put the desired amount in a microwavable bowl with a little water, cover the bowl with a a microwavable plate and micro on high for a few minutes.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You can try other types of white such as jasmine, basmati, ect. Don't make yourself eat something you loathe...just make sure you watch your portion size.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Try ricing a cauliflower. Chop a fresh head of cauliflower into florets then shred in the food processor and voila! To cook put the desired amount in a microwavable bowl with a little water, cover the bowl with a a microwavable plate and micro on high for a few minutes.

:huh:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to eat rice, I'll eat koshihikari sticky rice. It's super yummy.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to eat rice, I'll eat koshihikari sticky rice. It's super yummy.

mmmm sticky rice
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options

tumblr_lesougrkO71qeomz1.gif
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

tumblr_lesougrkO71qeomz1.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SkepticallyFit
    Options
    Cauliflower rice isn't bad. Mainly because it has no flavor (at least to me), so it tastes exactly like whatever you mix it with. I use it in stir fry recipes as a low calorie/fiber/vitamin C base. Leaves more room for protein and fat.
  • PhattiPhat
    Options
    Cauliflower rice isn't bad. Mainly because it has no flavor (at least to me), so it tastes exactly like whatever you mix it with. I use it in stir fry recipes as a low calorie/fiber/vitamin C base. Leaves more room for protein and fat.

Stop calling cauliflower ========>rice! Cause it's not!

To OP: Jasmine, Basmati, Japanese sticky rice, etc etc all have nutritional value, you just need to exercise portion control. I know it's hard but training yourself on portion control is way better in the long run than eating stuff you don't enjoy.

eta punctuations
  • SkepticallyFit
    Options

To OP: Jasmine, Basmati, Japanese sticky rice, etc etc all have nutritional value,

The cauliflower is "riced." Look that term up. Therefore, calling it rice is perfectly apt.

And Basmati et al rice is well and good, but if your goal is to cut back on carbs in order to increase protein or fat, then alternatives like cauliflower work just fine.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Cauliflower tastes like cauliflower no matter what you do to it. Mash it, rice it, whatever. I like cauliflower, but I've found it to be a poor substitute for starchy stuff.
  • PhattiPhat
    Options

To OP: Jasmine, Basmati, Japanese sticky rice, etc etc all have nutritional value,

The cauliflower is "riced." Look that term up. Therefore, calling it rice is perfectly apt.

And Basmati et al rice is well and good, but if your goal is to cut back on carbs in order to increase protein or fat, then alternatives like cauliflower work just fine.

Well since the title of her post was "white RICE" and she asked for options for RICE, excluding brown RICE unless there was a good recipe she wasn't aware of......then I would assume the woman wants RICE. Not cauliflower. Otherwise I woulda just suggested a yam..But I am not psychic like you, to know she was actually asking about her carb intake. lol.