Strange reaction to losing - - -

Options
I weigh in tomorrow. I'm doing super-well, can feel a difference in my clothes, and totally don't miss those sugar crashes. I'm feeling very anxious, however. I'm a month into my journey, and I'm definitely losing. But I'm getting very freaked out for some reason. Has anyone else experienced this?

I was just talking with my husband about it, and we think it might be that I'm not numbing my emotions with loads of food. Or my fear that I am going to sabotage my success (which has happened before). Or the discomfort of not having food to fall back on whenever and whatever I want.

Whatever it is, it is strange to me.

Replies

• KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I get the same anxiety with my progress. It's mostly fear that I will easily slip back into my old habits and go back to where I was. Months and months of progress can be ruined in a couple weeks.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Relax. It's success. It may be a new feeling, but keep up the progress and let it take over and keep driving you along.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm in a constant state of worry that I'm going o crash and burn like I have before. My MFP buds keep me sane.
  • Colliey
    Colliey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You and your husband might have hit the nail of the head. Fear, anxiety, self doubt are major killers for success. I think the start of conquering a situation is what you have already started to do, acknowledge it, accept that it is OK and then move on.
  • Rhiannawright
    Rhiannawright Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's ok. I have a lot of the same issues, I have been told that this has to do with hormones being released but fat cells.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It's very common. When people first start to lose weight, they often begin to worry about whether they can keep it up, about how people are going to perceive the loss, whether anyone will notice, about failing. It's normal to have that reaction, you just have to be sure not to let it stop you. Eventually, you'll get accustomed to the losses, and it won't freak you out. Don't let it stress you out.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think this is really normal. Sometimes when I run I get a little panicky when I think about having to keep doing this tomorrow and the next day etc. I have to settle myself down and remember I just need to worry about doing THIS run right here right now. Same with the rest of it, just for today do your thing. I also find it helpful to ponder the fact that I'm being the person I used to wish I would be. Somehow I find that really calming, like I've already overcome the hardest part. Hey congrats on your loss by the way!
  • 4pawsmom
    4pawsmom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm going through a bit of this myself, having just seen a number on my scale that I haven't seen in over a decade. I keep reminding myself to take some deep breaths and to keep moving forward. My fears will not be bigger than my success.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It's been around 3 mos I think since I joined MFP and I was losing a bit prior to started changing things up in mid October last year. Anyway, I still struggle with that issue of feeling anxious. It's like I can't believe I am losing weight. I don't know exactly where I started. One day I sort of figured my TDEE from what was eating and cut way back. Not quite enough though because I was then eating over my TDEE just didn't actually know that. Anyway still lost weight. But, I wasn't really focused on that. I was more focusing on how what I was eating was making me feel. Was I feeling more energetic, less energetic? Did I feel sick to my stomach? Was I bloated? Were my symptoms of IBS better or worse? A lot of stuff like that. Sort of forgot I was actually cutting calories for a month. I was eating better feeling better then I fit into a pair of pants I outgrew and I was like oh yeah I cut some calories sweet they fit. But, I didn't really trust that. I didn't believe that my shirts were fitting differently either, they just felt different. So, I kept at it even though I was in some denial and feeling anxious. And then I found this site. I still deal with the issue of anxiety from time to time, but it's not as intense or it is and I am just dealing better or something. I just keep my other health goals in mind and look at them for affirmation I am doing the right thing. Like today BP in normal range without meds.
  • aliciadub
    aliciadub Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You've been most generous with your advice and encouragement! I feel much better and am cruising on. :)