Jorge Cruise THE 100 DIET- Anyone Done It??

Options
Deev79
Deev79 Posts: 74 Member
A friend and I just finished reading Jorge Cruise's The 100 Diet -- really fascinating book about the way Americans Eat and they way that all came to be. Anyway, I've been on this diet for a week now and am having mixed results. Has anyone out there done this? Any pointers? Success stories?? I guess it is working -- I've lost 3.5 lbs in 8 days. I am just impatient and expect big results when changing my diet this dramatically. Just thought I'd see if there are others out there doing this same thing.

Replies

• Fedup85
    Fedup85 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My sister started a week ago, and she seems to be doing well. I think i am going to start on Sunday. I'll update you. Im going to try it out for a couple of weeks
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Quote from his website ....

"Everything you've learned about weight loss is WRONG. Burning more calories, eating less calories, or even thinking of all calories as equal does not work. The secret to true, lasting weight loss comes from avoiding HIDDEN SUGAR. Why? Because sugar stimulates the weight gain hormone, insulin. By keeping insulin levels low, you guarantee weight loss.

However, we now have a new understanding of what "sugar" is, and it may seem shocking. We are all aware that sugar lies in candy, soda, and cookies, but it has been hiding in CARBOHYDRATES.

Carbs are molecularly structured as sugar and break down the same in our bodies; therefore, it is important we consider carbs as sugar when trying to keep insulin in check and lose weight"

LOL @ backed by science. This is bogus...
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I wish I could get gifs on my phone. Where's that Finn the Human Boy "SCIENCE" gif when you need it?

Anyone?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

"Everything you've learned about weight loss is WRONG. Burning more calories, eating less calories, or even thinking of all calories as equal does not work. The secret to true, lasting weight loss comes from avoiding HIDDEN SUGAR. Why? Because sugar stimulates the weight gain hormone, insulin. By keeping insulin levels low, you guarantee weight loss.

However, we now have a new understanding of what "sugar" is, and it may seem shocking. We are all aware that sugar lies in candy, soda, and cookies, but it has been hiding in CARBOHYDRATES.

Carbs are molecularly structured as sugar and break down the same in our bodies; therefore, it is important we consider carbs as sugar when trying to keep insulin in check and lose weight"

I didn't even look at the website, but let me guess...the "science" it's backed by comes from either Taubes or Mercola? lolololol.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Its a fad diet, are you really going to eat his way for the rest of your LIFE!! that's why I do all MFP, its a lifestyle change, not a loose my weight and go back to the way I was eating change :) just saying. I mean you can use some of his recipes to go along with your lifestyle change, but I wouldn't follow his book 100%
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options

came in expecting to find something like this. left satisfied and lol'ing
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    man, if all insulin did was make you gain weight, diabetes wouldn't be such a problem.
    that's some butts science right there
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Hey, I love Gary. Back off, lol.
  • Deev79
    Deev79 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well, much of the info on how the typical American/Western diet has evolved is pretty interesting. And I do think this could be adapted into a lifestyle change. However, two weeks into the diet I had lost 4.5 pounds, and then gained it back. And, I've been training for a half marathon and the no-carb thing was NOT helping my mileage any. So... back to MFP-ing. It was worth a shot!
  • Turtlejeni
    Options
    I have been on "the 100" for 8 days now and have lost 7 LBS. My mom has been living on a diet similar to this for a year and a half with cheat days and not as strict now as she was in the beginning. She has lost 60LBS and it has been a lifestyle change for her. Sugar and carb cravings are gone for me which I NEVER thought would happen.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    It's just another weight loss "strategy"...nothing more, nothing less.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It should be possible to sue people who say "backed by science" for improper use of the word science.

This might work for some, not for others. Having fewer slurpees, doughnuts, and other sugary things we're told are a food group in america can't be bad, but calorie counting is key as well. You can eat 5000 calorie of lettuce and gain weight (it'd be difficult, but theoretically possible.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options
    A "disguised" low carb diet. Basically keeping "sugar" to about 25 grams a day. Lol, I eat that much just for lunch. Oh well, some will do it because immediate weight loss is more important than learning how to eat for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I have no interest in his diet plans but his skinny muffins are good!
  • kwalden66
    kwalden66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started the diet last Wednesday and as of Sunday I had lost 10lbs. I could not believe it and I had not been on the diet a full week but I did follow the diet exactly without the wine. Anxious to see if I lose a few more pounds by Wed. Will update on my weight loss.
  • KennyEdelberg
    KennyEdelberg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I read it. Basically to take the total 'carbs' and multiply it by four and that's the number. So if a slice of bread has 25 carb grams times four would give you 100 total for your day.

They also say to start off with 300 and work down to that "One-Hundred" total. Avoid most fruits, some veggies - all breads, pastas and rice.

It seems doable and there is a forward by Dr. Weil, whom I respect, so he has that going for him.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I read it. Basically to take the total 'carbs' and multiply it by four and that's the number. So if a slice of bread has 25 carb grams times four would give you 100 total for your day.

They also say to start off with 300 and work down to that "One-Hundred" total. Avoid most fruits, some veggies - all breads, pastas and rice.

It seems doable and there is a forward by Dr. Weil, whom I respect, so he has that going for him.

^ What the... i don't even?

You mean 25g carbs = 100 calories? Don't they teach this in school's still? Again, this diet is total trash... Why would you avoid fruits and vegetables both of which contain essential vitamins and nutrients?
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    BOO!

Sorry, I was pretending to be a sugar hiding in a carb!

*bangs head on wall, wails, gives up*
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options
    I started the diet last Wednesday and as of Sunday I had lost 10lbs. I could not believe it and I had not been on the diet a full week but I did follow the diet exactly without the wine. Anxious to see if I lose a few more pounds by Wed. Will update on my weight loss.
    10lbs of water and glycogen. First time you eat more than 25g of carbs (say some ice cream, cake, or bread) and watch 4lbs-6lbs come right back on. Science trumps fad diets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mjmorris77
    mjmorris77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    lord lipton lol I eat berries everymoring and a wrap for lunch and my nutrionist has me eating an apple in the afternoon with peanut butter and im supposed to squish a fruit in with my slice of toast and peanut butter at breakfast! theres no way I would try this!