Lifting while training for a marathon....

Options
2»

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    When I trained for my first half marathon I continued with my lifting. My friend made me a program which had certain things to do on certain days and even with the miles I was putting in during the week I was still able to keep up with my lifting.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If you were trying to WIN your marathon, then yes, lifting would be bad ;) . But, you aren't, so keep lifting. But also keep in mind, any extra mass, your going to have to carry for 26.2 miles :D
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen him comment, but I know CarsonRuns does both, and he's pretty studly in the marathon department. Maybe poke him with a personal message and ask him what kind of plan he uses. I also do both strength training and running, but my max distance is 13.1 right now. the difference between training for a half and full is pretty significant. If nothing else, time may become a limiting factor. you're looking at 45-minute to an hour "short runs" on most marathon plans, plus an hour to an hour and a half mid distance and two hour or more long run. Finding time for lifting could get tough.
  • katg73
    katg73 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Although I'm not the OP, all this info is very useful to me as I am beginning half training in a week and cannot bare the idea of giving up my lifting. Thanks for all the input from previous posters!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You will hurt your strength gains by training for a marathon. But do what you like.