Exercise at home ( No Gym/ at home gyms)

Options
2»

Replies

• EndorphineReceptive
    Options
    My advice to you is to find something that you like to do. If it is dancing, then find a program that incorporates that. It is a great way to keep motivated to continue the workout on the days that you are one the fence. If it is something as simple as walking in the park, include that as part of a routine, or use it for a change of pace. Find what activities you love, and use that with the motivation you have to workout, and things will progress and evolve as you find what works for you.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have lost all my weight without a gym, or gym machines for the most part. I do have a treadmill because I can't be in the heat during summer as they trigger migraines, but when it's not hot out I take a walk to the park or go hiking a lot.

Other things that I do that don't include machines: Jillian Michaels video's such as 30 day shred, ripped in 30, Fitnessblender which can be found on youtube, or their website at fitnessblender.com Dumbells are a good idea to have around, and they aren't that expensive and store easily. If you absolutely cannot spend money on dumbells right now, soup can's would work, or water bottles for substitutes. You can find zumba video's on youtube as well. If your looking for something super intense, I recommend Zuzka Light, however, when I mean intense, I mean intense. I thought Jillian was intense, until I started doing Zuzka's workouts and now Jillian is nothing. But Jillian's 30 day shred is a really great video to start out on, I've had great results from it, and so have many other people!

I also go hiking a lot. Actually, a LOT of the weight I have lost has mainly come from walking/hiking and some Jillian. Swimming is another one of my favorites, especially when I have a river less than 5 minutes away and a lake that is 15 minutes away. Unfortunately can't do the lake right now due to algae, so that's out probably for the entire summer. Hmm, if you have a bike you can go for a bike ride, I recently got one and love to take it down to the library to rent out books :) Tennis is inexpensive really, just have to have a place to play it, which hopefully you should have a few around, and another person to play with.

Zumba is a really great way to get cardio in and lose weight, you can find these on youtube as mentioned earlier. Most places (at least around here) offer a 1 hour zumba class for $5 or 5 for $20 Which is actually really cheap. I'm actually going to a zumba class on Sunday with a friend, I'm looking forward to it :D

Anyway, these are a lot of the things that I do, just ideas to get you started that are not that expensive. ^_^
  • BrookeLee2
    BrookeLee2 Posts: 39
    Options
    There's this girl on YouTube who's channel is called Blogilates. She uses very little materials, and when she does, it's typically stuff you have around the household. (Chairs, stools, cans/other heavy-ish objects if you don't have weights).
    It doesn't seem that hard on some videos but once you get going it's just awesome.

*Edit~
    Go hiking or walking. The only equipment you need for those are shoes:D
    Swimming?
    Biking

That's what I do:)
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I hate gyms, so I haven't stepped foot in one since high school. My fitness is all outdoors until winter, and then it suffers. In the summer I run 3 days a week, walk every day that I don't run, and go canoeing and hiking as much as I can. In the winter I just do Zumba and Pilates. (DVD and Kinect). I also use the internet for inspiration for stretching etc...so I also am doing sit ups, squats, planks, light weights (should get into something heavier, but lack of money for now), push ups etc, at home.
  • caoimhe0
    caoimhe0 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is what i used, there is loads of threads on here showing before and after pictures have a wee look see what u think, though id deffo recommend it :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I jog in place, do calisthenics, and find heavy things to pick up and put back down.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You lose weight primarily by reducing calories, but I have done exercise at home. I've had machines at times, but my simpler equipment has included:

Dumbbell weights and a weight bar
    A weighted vest
    Stools for stepups
    A Swiss ball
    An electronic jump rope
    Resistance bands
    A Bosu
    A balance board
    Stretching straps

A heart rate monitor
    A counter
    An interval timer
    Gloves (they weren't necessary)
  • brynnlantz
    Options
    I really like dailyhiit.com they have new workouts everyday and its free and you don't have to sign up or anything either. They do a blog as well and all the trainers post good tips and encouragement on their Facebook pages. Zuzka Light is good too, she uses to be with the dailyhiit folks when it was bodyrock, hers is a little more intense though.

For dailyhiit you can do most workouts with no equipment, I just have 5 lb weights and everything else I use things in my home in place of actual equipment.
  • BeastlyMaple
    BeastlyMaple Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are awesome! This really motivated me that I can do this at home, and it takes the pressure off of me, I was thinking I wasn't going to do well without a gym and the gym equipment. Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to this thread and helping me learn.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    There's this girl on YouTube who's channel is called Blogilates. She uses very little materials, and when she does, it's typically stuff you have around the household. (Chairs, stools, cans/other heavy-ish objects if you don't have weights).
    It doesn't seem that hard on some videos but once you get going it's just awesome.

Ooh great suggestion here, forgot about Blogilates! Cassey is awesome. On her website she posts a calendar each month telling you which workouts to do on which days. Then you just do the videos for each day and you're done! She's so high-energy and fun, but the workouts are tough if you do them right. I definitely recommend checking her website out.
  • dBree
    dBree Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :)
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This website has tons of the most popular at home workout routines (Insanity, Zumba, etc) uploaded for free :)

http://healthysexyhappy.tumblr.com/moveyourassnow

But right now I'm doing the free 30 day get fit challenge on Hasfit.com (they have free meal plans and such too, but I haven't used them).

Lots of great, free stuff for at home work.

And youtube has tons too, even the first levels for the 30 day shred and (my personal favourite) the Butt Bible.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Nike Training Club is a free app full of great workouts.
    DVDs, as many mentioned - check out your local library, they may have a decent selection so you can try before you buy, or just rotate through whatever they have.

All my progress has been accomplished at home with dumbbells & body weight exercises, plus running & walking outside. No gym membership needed!
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Try looking up You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG). A friend of mine highly recommended it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Workout videos and bodyweight strength exercises will be a big help to you.
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    Youtube is my best friend! lol.. I have found lots of yoga and low impact aerobics on there. Dancing, ab workouts, martial arts, you name it, youtube has it. Yes, even Zumba! I also found hasfit.com (via youtube. lol) which I absolutely LOVE! You don't have to spend dime. Just clear some space in your living room and get to work!
  • jeninfl
    jeninfl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii also and enjoy the WiiFit but I REALLY love Just Dance 3 (and I've heard 4 is even better). I really enjoy the dancing and can't use the weather (too hot, too cold, too rainy) as an excuse since it's right in my living room.
  • igbok
    igbok Posts: 1
    Options
    If you are looking for a way to do something at home and for free, DVR Classical Stretch on PBS. It is kind of cheesy and comes on at 5am, but if you use the Tai Chi method, you will get a good workout. If you need a more strenuous workout, check out YouTube for aerobic workouts, Tai Chi, Kick Boxing, etc. Everything is on YouTube. Of course, there is also taking a brisk walk for 30 minutes each day.