1 year on, over 4 stone gone and 5k in less than 30 mins

Options
serenalesley
serenalesley Posts: 58 Member
A couple of years ago, I got ME/CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). This left me barely able to walk, relying on a walking stick and sometimes a wheelchair, and gaining weight due to fast food (preparing food was mostly impossible) and lack of ability to exercise. 'Lose weight and get fitter to get better', said my doctor, so that's what I did.

One year ago, walking up an incline was basically impossible for me and I was well into an 'obese' BMI.

Last week, more than four stone lighter than when I joined MFP (and half a stone below my original goal weight), I got married to my best friend in a dress that had to be made SMALLER after I slimmed OUT of a UK size 8.

Today, I ran 5k in the Race For Life, raising over £140 for cancer research on behalf of my auntie (R.I.P.) and my mother (a cancer survivor). I ran it during the hottest part of the day, during a heat wave, in less than 30 minutes, setting myself a personal best time.

I am so proud of myself right now that I might actually cry.

Replies

• maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all of your successes! Enjoy the feeling!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Best post!!!

Great job!
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago, I got ME/CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). This left me barely able to walk, relying on a walking stick and sometimes a wheelchair, and gaining weight due to fast food (preparing food was mostly impossible) and lack of ability to exercise. 'Lose weight and get fitter to get better', said my doctor, so that's what I did.

One year ago, walking up an incline was basically impossible for me and I was well into an 'obese' BMI.

Last week, more than four stone lighter than when I joined MFP (and half a stone below my original goal weight), I got married to my best friend in a dress that had to be made SMALLER after I slimmed OUT of a UK size 8.

Today, I ran 5k in the Race For Life, raising over £140 for cancer research on behalf of my auntie (R.I.P.) and my mother (a cancer survivor). I ran it during the hottest part of the day, during a heat wave, in less than 30 minutes, setting myself a personal best time.

Please tell me how you did it:)
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I would have felt like crying too if I was in your shoes. You are a proof to see what we can achieve by loosing weight and doing exercising. Congratulations on your success. Thanks for inspiring us.
  • serenalesley
    serenalesley Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Start small. Walk more. Build up so. so. slowly.

Listen to stuff which motivates you to walk - 'Zombies, Run!' phone app is amazing, it gets you into the story so you walk more to listen to it, and then turn 'zombie chases' on when you think you might be able to jog for short periods during your run.

'Couch to 5k' podcasts, available on the NHS website, or the 'Zombies! 5k' version on the phone.

Calorie counting, sensibly.

Jillian Michaels DVDs, as HIIT workouts increase your CV ability and your running speed.

A great partner who joins MFP WITH you and supports you, no matter how much and how often you crash due to being stupid and overdoing it.

Stubborness. Belief that you CAN DO THIS. Standing back with pride, just for a minute, when you reach your goals, then setting NEW goals.

It's achievable, I faithfully promise. All you have to do is WANT it hard enough. :)
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You have the attitude that shouts "winner", very inspiring :flowerforyou:
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Anyone else from my side of the pond love reading these posts of Brits losing stones and speaking in cryptic metric parlance?

I mean, "over 4 stone gone" just sounds more interesting. I think maybe it's because the british aren't afraid to measure their money in pounds but measure their weight in rocks. Makes me reconsider the whole phrase, "throw the first stone" though.

Anyone else think this?

P.s. Great job Sarena! (or Lesley, whomever).
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have to say thank you for posting this. I have an auto-immune disease and have a lack of energy and muscle pain and weakness at all times. I have been back at this routine for 3 weeks and I am ready to quit. When I read your post, I realized I can do this. You are my inspiration to continue!
    Thank you and congrats on your amazing accomplishments!!!!!!!!
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Start small. Walk more. Build up so. so. slowly.

Listen to stuff which motivates you to walk - 'Zombies, Run!' phone app is amazing, it gets you into the story so you walk more to listen to it, and then turn 'zombie chases' on when you think you might be able to jog for short periods during your run.

'Couch to 5k' podcasts, available on the NHS website, or the 'Zombies! 5k' version on the phone.

Calorie counting, sensibly.

Jillian Michaels DVDs, as HIIT workouts increase your CV ability and your running speed.

A great partner who joins MFP WITH you and supports you, no matter how much and how often you crash due to being stupid and overdoing it.

Stubborness. Belief that you CAN DO THIS. Standing back with pride, just for a minute, when you reach your goals, then setting NEW goals.

It's achievable, I faithfully promise. All you have to do is WANT it hard enough. :)
    Thank You!!!:smile:
  • gfreerunner
    gfreerunner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You deserve to be very proud of your accomplishments! You have come a very long way, you are a real inspiration!
  • russbittles
    Options

I teared up. Way to go!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!