True Love or 'Just Settled' and 'Learned to Love?'

Options
xstarxdustx
xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
'Love that could withstand anything' in various novels, movies, etc. People who are 'destined to be together' and are 'soulmates.'

What's you're opinion on the subject ? Do you believe in this type of thing or in the end, do you think people just settle?

Replies

• faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    A totally believe that the soulmate does exist, but I think 99% are in the other category. I think most have settled or dont know the difference. Just my opinion
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Opinions are all I'm asking for. You're probably right about 99% of the population. Unsure of what I actually believe myself.
  • sparkly86
    sparkly86 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I believed in true love and prince charming,I'm realizing that just happens to some: the exception, not the rule.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I've been married for 20 years to the wonderful man I met 24 years ago. I love him with all my heart and always have. I had a feeling about him within 2 weeks that he was the one. Since I was only 19 when we met I got a lot of the eye rolls and patronizing comments. Ironically several of those people have been married and divorced or did settle. I didn't.
  • jeromykaplan
    jeromykaplan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I believe nice guys finish last, eff it, whats the point!!!! ;(
  • Init2winIt79
    Init2winIt79 Posts: 582
    Options
    I think some people are lucky to be with their true love, that person that you connect with in an unexplainable way inthe first few moments of meeting.....but there is not time frame of when you'll meet this person, could be the person you grew up knowing, or it could be someone you meet in your 20's, 30's, 40's even 80's!
    Some people settle because they think they won't get better, I think this is always sad because the next person could be their True Love, never settle!
    Learn to love...not sure how this works..maybe for someone who is shallow or who doesn't give people a chance based off the first look?..Or for someone who has a long checklist of what they need in someone....I mean you can always learn to love someone but that doesn't mean you are destined for each other
    I do believe there is a true love for everyone but I don't think it is always easy to get to where you have to be in life to meet each other...which is why I believe we have almost endless opportunities to get there(more than one life, but this is a whole different topic lol)
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I believe in true love... soul mates. I hope mine finds me lol.
  • Init2winIt79
    Options
    I think some people are lucky to be with their true love, that person that you connect with in an unexplainable way inthe first few moments of meeting.....but there is not time frame of when you'll meet this person, could be the person you grew up knowing, or it could be someone you meet in your 20's, 30's, 40's even 80's!
    Some people settle because they think they won't get better, I think this is always sad because the next person could be their True Love, never settle!
    Learn to love...not sure how this works..maybe for someone who is shallow or who doesn't give people a chance based off the first look?..Or for someone who has a long checklist of what they need in someone....I mean you can always learn to love someone but that doesn't mean you are destined for each other
    I do believe there is a true love for everyone but I don't think it is always easy to get to where you have to be in life to meet each other...which is why I believe we have almost endless opportunities to get there(more than one life, but this is a whole different topic lol)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    nope i believe that just because someone is your soul mate doesnt mean that they are supposed to be your true love or whatever.

i dont believe in true love.. love is love and most everyone learns to love the people they are with. anyone else is mainly just in love with an idealized projection of the person they've put on a pedestal; it's not surprising that many of these couple end up falling out of love once they really get to know the other person and realize that their partner has changed when in fact the partner was always that way but they were only willing to see an idealized version of that person
  • Jennaissance
    Jennaissance Posts: 212
    Options
    I think it's all about timing. It's great when you meet someone that's just where you are and everything gels. But things change. Maybe true love is when you want that much to make it work despite the changes and see change as an opportunity for relationship growth. If perfection is the status quo from the beginning and the goal for the future, you set yourself up for failure.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of people in this world. I don't subscribe to the idea that people have 'a' soul mate, but rather that they have the potential to be soul mates with many people. With that said, I do think that most people settle.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I'm the romantic in the relationship with my partner. He's the stoic. We're proof that opposites work in a relationship. We are opposite in almost every imaginable way. I'm a big extrovert, he's a big introvert. I love to get up and perform at karaoke, he can't carry a tune if his life depends on it and is terrified of performing in public. He loves to dance, I have 3 left feet. I live in polo shirts, he's never owned one in his life and never will. I'm meat and potatoes, he loves all sorts of different ethnic foods. I've been out only a couple of years, he's been out his entire life. Over and over, in almost every way you can think of, we are total opposites. Except in 2 ways. We both have slightly warped, bizarre senses of humors and value laughter at all times. Our relationship is filled with laughter and humor. And we both have a desire and need for a committed relationship. On our first date we agreed that we wouldn't try to change the other. And we've kept that promise. But we've each changed to please the other without being asked. The differences between us bring a diversity and freshness to everything in our lives. We've been together over 2 years now. And in spite of all the differences, we've never even had so much as a cross word between us. We just know we were meant to be together. Two separate and unique halves to a whole. And yes, it is true love. Because I know we will be together as long as we both are alive. And I'm the luckiest man in the world to have him.
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    I definitely think most lovers start off with the soul mate in love forever intentions. Then somewhere down the line, it just becomes comfortable and what we know.
  • Init2winIt79
    Options
    True love isn't perfect...
    it's true love because things are bound to change, people are bound to grow, progress, digress, regress...anything can happen but true love is worth fighting for, it's the kind of love that allows you feel comfortable with each other but also helps both partners continue striving for better..
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Love evolves with time spent together. Love is not static. Can you find "the one"? your "soulmate"? Absolutely! Sometimes you get lucky and it happens quickly other times it takes time to develop and grow and yet other times its a complete mismatch and never happens. Gotta have faith in fate I suppose.
  • fufi04
    fufi04 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    true love exists :heart: :smile: