Your Trigger Foods

Options
So my binge today helped me realize a bit more about myself.. especially what foods trigger a binge for me! (I'm not bulimic, I do suffer from uncontrollable binges from time to time though). Mine so far seem to be:

Peanut butter, almond butter (kinda) and honey. Once I put a little honey on something, I start eating it by the spoonful -_- from now on I'll buy smaller containers and keep them out of sight. Having such a large amount of it makes me feel like just drinking it from the bottle! That and peanut butter- best to buy small containers and keep them up in the fridge. Also, once you learn what your trigger foods are, you get an idea to not eat them in the first place.

So what are your trigger foods? and also, any tips on stopping binges/keeping trigger foods out of mind?

Replies

• Katey12891
    Katey12891 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My trigger foods are corn chips or anything take away eg fish n chips. I just have to keep eating after ive eaten a little bit even if im not hungry at all and my stomach is sore! My advice is, don't buy it then it wont be in the house and it wont be in your sight. Also, come on mfp when you feel a binge coming on and read peoples stories for motivation. Or even better, LOG THE FOOD YOU PLAN TO BINGE ON before you binge, then you can see how many calories it will have and how that will affect your net. And you have to be honest! Today I ate a medium bag of popcorn at the movies and I logged it when I got home and I was mortified! If I had logged it before hand and seen the damage I wouldn't have eaten it!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Chips/crackers are my big problem. I have no problem with portion sizes on anything else, but put a box of cheez its in front of me and it's gone. The only thing I've found that really works for me is logging everything before I eat it. More than once, I've sat down with the intention of devouring an entire bag of gardettos, but once I enter the totals into MFP and see the numbers staring back at me, I often find I'm not quite as hungry as I thought. You can control the binge if you try, but you have to think about it consciously. Binging is an irrational impulse, so it helps to figure out why you do it. For me, I like to eat when I'm bored. I don't really want the bag of chips, but I'll sit down with it to watch tv and eat the entire time without paying attention. For me, prelogging breaks the impulsive cycle and forces it to be a rational decision, and reason comes down on the side of not binging. Maybe this will work for you. Good luck.
  • ThatGirI
    ThatGirI Posts: 3
    Options
    Thai & Chinese food,Caffeine and highly sugary things.
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Chips and chocolate.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Peanut butter, tortilla chips, and cereal. I don't know hat it is about those foods, but they always tend to make me eat way more than I should. I also find it impossible to eat these foods in moderation :grumble:
  • bspikes86
    bspikes86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Anything chocolate, oh and cheetos.
  • thegatti
    thegatti Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is a biggie for me, but lollies are worse! I didnt realise how bad i was with those until a friend brought a bag of lollies with her to my place. After she left, i finished the bag plus grabbed anything chocolate out of the fridge.
  • thinlove333
    Options
    cake and pizza. i could never do just one slice
  • Alatariel2002
    Alatariel2002 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Not really a food per say....but buffet bars are my trigger. It's like food overload, and it looks all so good that I want to try it all. Hard for me to stop...:embarassed:
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I have foods that are so delicious to me I don't want to limit myself, however none actually trigger me to binge and I'm able to stop at a decent sized portion (whatever I can fit into my calories).

The only time I binge is if I'm undereating.
  • Zenjaeie
    Zenjaeie Posts: 95
    Options
    Peanut butter, tortilla chips, and cereal. I don't know hat it is about those foods, but they always tend to make me eat way more than I should. I also find it impossible to eat these foods in moderation :grumble:

Ooh, forgot about cereal. So easy to just grab handfuls of it right out of the box :embarassed:
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    triple double oreos vanilla. I bought a package for my daughter and ate the whole thing at 100calories per cookie.
    I even had a dream about them.
  • russbittles
    Options
    1) Italian, whether it's marinara, alfredo, or garlic butter sauce. Doesn't matter. If it has noodles, I'm looking for seconds.

2) Pizza, a variant of Italian, but deserving of its own place in hell.

3) My favorite restaurant has the best french fries and ranch dressing. They load the plate with them, and I'll go through 6 tbsp of ranch. It's horrific.

4) Indian food. Especially Butter Chicken. Dear God, that stuff is good.

Looking at the list above, basically I like creamy, buttery, cheesy things, a little too much.
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Cheese, cheese and more cheese - I could easily sit with a block of it and eat the lot, especially if accompanied by lovely bread just out of the oven and lashings of pure butter. Hell, when I was at my worst as a child I use to make sandwiches which consisted of 2 thick slices (hand cut) of cheese, with orange marmalade in the middle - heaven!

I still have to have a "fix" of cheese nearly every day but I have learned to curb my cravings into calorie-manageable portions. Between that and my hubby very kindly refusing to have more than absolutely necessary in the house, I am not "cured", just in better control of it.

Oh and chocolate doesn't do anything for me - or at least not since I worked on a placement at Cadburys for 6 weeks. Teh first week was fine, floating on air, the 2nd a bit so-so but by the 3rd week I never wanted to see or smell chocolate ever again. Nowadays, I can take or leave a piece of chocolate - it really doesn't bother me.

Hmm, perhaps I ought to do aversion therapy by working in a cheese factory for several months....
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Cookies, and cupcakes, and sugar oh my! I'm not a huge fan of chocolate...but put candy or baked goods in front of me and I will pig out like there is no tomorrow.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    A trigger for me is sugar. I can do honey and other natural sugars with no problems. But I have sugar and I will be craving sugary and carb foods for a week or so. It is very hard to resist. So I try to stick with honey when I can.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Coke zero is my gateway food... if I'm drinking that- I'm usually not far from overeating/self-destruction. If I have soda, I usually way under-hydrate as well. Vicious vicious Coke Zero. Weird that a calorie-free drink has such a detrimental effect (self-imposed)
  • talisamb
    talisamb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Cereal! I rarely eat it but when I do, I could eat the entire box. I avoid it by not purchasing it frequently
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    So my binge today helped me realize a bit more about myself.. especially what foods trigger a binge for me! (I'm not bulimic, I do suffer from uncontrollable binges from time to time though). Mine so far seem to be:

Peanut butter, almond butter (kinda) and honey. Once I put a little honey on something, I start eating it by the spoonful -_- from now on I'll buy smaller containers and keep them out of sight. Having such a large amount of it makes me feel like just drinking it from the bottle! That and peanut butter- best to buy small containers and keep them up in the fridge. Also, once you learn what your trigger foods are, you get an idea to not eat them in the first place.

So what are your trigger foods? and also, any tips on stopping binges/keeping trigger foods out of mind?

Mine is chocolate, so I do not eat it lol