need a fitness regime

Options
I have been going to the gym for a month now. I need help in a workout plan. I looked online for somethng but they all seemed generic.
i would like details:
eg: how may calories to burn on the treadmill? and for how long i should be on it?
how many calories to burn on the elliptical? how long should i be on it?

what should my heart rate be to burn fat?

what is RPM?

i am pretty clueless when i step intot he gym and i am VERY shy to go ask the trainer coz i am thinking everyone can hear me ask these silly questions and probably thinking-FAT girl! just get on the treadmill that wud be the first step.

:(

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com and jefit.com are two good resources for you. The former has some good warmups/stretching and body weight routines, as well as some videos and articles with a lot of helpful information just starting out with exercise. The latter is a huge database of exercises and workout routines broken down by type, muscle group and experience level, so you can find something you like that has sets/reps/time already defined as well as number of times per week. You can also search fitness blender on youtube for a lot of good, free videos you can use.

I think you meant "BPM" in your quesiton, which stands for "beats per minute" and is the typical way of defining heartrate. If you take your pulse, every time you feel you heart beat, that is one beat. If you use a heart rate monitor (HRM), it will automatically count your heart rate and give you your BPM.

Consider doing some resistance training as well as cardio. You won't gain muscle mass if you are eating at a deficit, but it will encourage your body to burn fat instead of muscle, which is what you want. Take body measurements rather than relying purely on the scale. When you first start working out, you are going to retain water and glycogen in your muscles, which is going to cause an increase on the scale. Many people lose hope when this happens and give up. Weight increase is not the same as fat increase. Give it two to three weeks, and you should stop retaining and lose again. Losses will still show up on the tape measure. The scale can lie, but the tape will tell you the truth.

Lastly, don't be afraid to talk to the trainers - that's what they are there for. It's better to ask a "stupid" question than to hurt yourself because you didn't. Everyone started out not knowing what to do, so there's no shame in not knowing, only in not trying to find out.
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Options
    Those sites seeem really great.

This is something I always struggle with as I get bored easily and cant afford a PT to change my routine up as frequently as I need. I'm not really sure what is good for me yet and I think I'll be able to use those to build myself something thats good for me and varied enough that I wont get bored.