I don't know what to do...

I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder. I had to take medication to help bring it under control and as a result I've gained 30 pounds. The doctors said most of it is water weight and it will go away eventually. I've been off the dreadful medication for two or three months and taking new ones. Since then I've been trying to drink lots of water to cleans my body and lose the water weight. And I've been tracking my food to make sure I don't exceed my calories and to help make better food choices. And yet I still haven't lost a pound. I have a feeling the weight I have gained is not water weight at all. And to make matters more frustrating, I rarely have a good day where I can exercise. I'm either too fatigued and/or in pain to do anything because of this disorder.

I'm looking for advice on what I can do. My goal is to lose those 30 pounds and perhaps just a few more if I'm lucky (as in 5 more max.)

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Diuretics get rid of excess water - talk to your Doctor.

Look in the mirror and see how much flab you can get hold of one your sides / tummy area - is it really water weight ?

You need to say more about your height / weight / activity / food intake to give people here a clue.
  • Soyajam
    Soyajam Posts: 22 Member
    Are you really too too fatigued and/or in pain to do ANYTHING?

Walk around the house? do some stretches?

You might find that getting moving (even if it's barely anything) will help you with the fatigue (sounds ironic, right?) - it may also help increase your fitness to a point where you can increase your movement with no increase in pain/ fatigue?

It's not about how hard you work out every day, it's about the fact you make an effort every single time.

Food for thought. :)
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Here are a few things that have helped me with retention and inflammation (the real reason you are retaining water).

First find out the foods you are eating that are making you retain water. It can be a med issue but it is often combined with food intolerances that cause edema.

Research then eliminate foods in your diet that cause inflammation and water retention. You will need to google that and do some experimenting because everyone is different. For me wheat, processed junk carbs, and cooked oils make me retain water..and cause inflammation...for some it is grain fed red meat, dairy or eggs (these do not seem to bother me).

You might want to start first by eliminating wheat and other gluten things to just a couple times a week and knock your carbs down, especially gluten carbs to 100 grams max a day. Since you are not exercising you really have no reason to eat more carbs than that. See how that makes you feel. Then maybe try reducing dairy, if you still are having trouble.

Swim...best exercise on the body...really good for fatigue and inflammation. You sometimes have to push past that fatigue. Start slow, just a few minutes at a time. Changing your eating habits to more protein and healthy fat will help with the fatigue so you might find the energy to exercise.