Hot Yoga

Options
2»

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I would also be bored silly practicing the same 26 poses every time, considering the variety that yoga offers.

Sounds like you're trying to give advice on a subject you're not familiar with. If you had even given these 26 postures a try, you would know that there is no way to become bored with them. Even for a seasoned practitioner, there is always work to do in each pose.

OP- definitely give it a try, and listen to your body, don't pull yourself past your your flexibility, it can be easy to do in the hot room, and you don't want to hurt your tendons!

Other than the previous caution, have fun!

I have 13 years of experience practicing yoga and am quite familiar with the poses :)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    this is my favorite style of yoga: http://www.baronbaptiste.com/
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sounds like torture. But with all you peeps endorsing it, I must admit I'm curious...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I go to a heated vinyasa class. LOVE it!
  • avidisson
    avidisson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The hot yoga studio I've recently started going to also offers warm yoga classes that are done at 82 degrees instead of 95+ degrees. I really like the warm yoga classes, because there is still enough heat to help my incredibly tight muscles loosen up, but it's not so hot that it's uncomfortable. I would recommend seeing if the studio you are looking at going to has any warm yoga classes, and maybe start with one of those before trying a hot yoga class to see how you tolerate the heat.

I'm an excessive sweater and I really don't like the heat. But I've done warm yoga and I love it. My yoga mat and t-shirt usually get soaking wet :-)
  • martintanz
    martintanz Posts: 280
    Options
    Even if you are not bothered by Bikram Choudhury's antics, there are some problems with that program. The biggest of all is that the sequence and nature of poses is not tailored to the individual, which is a bad idea for any exercise program (but is especially against the spirit of yoga). I would also be bored silly practicing the same 26 poses every time, considering the variety that yoga offers.

If you are a beginner, I would recommend finding a teacher certified in Iyengar yoga; they have to undergo rigorous training in alignment and adjusting poses to individual ability levels.

Actually, his antics bother me quite a bit. I would try hot yoga, but I don't want to put money into the pockets of a rapist.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've done heated vinyasa classes- loved them. I've done Bikram off and on for years- love the heat, love the sweat, love the style- but it's pretty pricey (for me, anyways) and the founder is an *kitten* and I can't stand the idea of (even marginally) supporting him. That being said, I NEVER sleep better than after a Bikram class.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyones advice, both positive and negative. I'm definitely going to give it a try, the first class is free which is good cause at $20 a pop I don't want to pay and hate it :-)
    The studio here has just installed all new infrared heating which I have been reading up on and seems to have a lot of benefits.
    My first class in on Thursday so am looking forward to it
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Options
    Hot yoga is really fantastic. I cant rave enough about how it loosened my flexibility up or how great you'll feel afterwards. The first few times I did it my body really wanted to pass out, but I struggled through and at the end the rush you get from it is amazing. Even if you have never tounched your toes or done the splits within a few sessions you'll notice a marked improvement both in and outside of the studio. My favourite aspect of it, Bikram yoga especially, is the combined spritual element - a healthy mind alongside a healthy body; they really remind you that your journey to fitness is your and yours alone. You never feel embarassed practicing because its a very self focused form of exercise, were the focus is on your own improvement and not on watching other people in the room and comparing.

Its a pity that for so many people there isnt a studio nearby or its just priced out of their fitness routine. There is a Bikram studio only a minutes walk from my house, but I cant afford to go more than once a month if that.
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Options
    Even if you are not bothered by Bikram Choudhury's antics, there are some problems with that program. The biggest of all is that the sequence and nature of poses is not tailored to the individual, which is a bad idea for any exercise program (but is especially against the spirit of yoga). I would also be bored silly practicing the same 26 poses every time, considering the variety that yoga offers.

If you are a beginner, I would recommend finding a teacher certified in Iyengar yoga; they have to undergo rigorous training in alignment and adjusting poses to individual ability levels.

Actually, his antics bother me quite a bit. I would try hot yoga, but I don't want to put money into the pockets of a rapist.

Wait... WHAT?!?
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    this is my favorite style of yoga: http://www.baronbaptiste.com/

^ agree! I used to live in Boston and my 2nd home studio was this, in Brookline! If you can find an instructor who is Baron inspired you'll enjoy it! I love hot yoga but I haven't found a studio/instructor that I'm comfortable with!
  • martintanz
    martintanz Posts: 280
    Options

Wait... WHAT?!?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/14/millionaire-yoga-guru-bikram-choudhury-accused-of-rape-and-human-trafficking/
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

Wait... WHAT?!?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/14/millionaire-yoga-guru-bikram-choudhury-accused-of-rape-and-human-trafficking/

yeah, Bikram the dude is kind of a *kitten*.
  • WestCoastWild
    WestCoastWild Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hot Yoga is the BEST! Tried Bikram a few times, but got too repetitive, and I can't imagine it would be good for your body to do it every day. The studio I go to does hot vinyasa classes, hot flow classes (some w music), Moksha classes, Hatha classes...always a great workout and makes me feel great afterward!
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I did a hot Bikram class once, and it was okay. I'm not a fan of bikram yoga in general. My only disclaimer is please be VERY careful if you have asthma or allergies or any breathing problems.My asthma never acts up and I had a really bad attack during this class from the heat. I will stick to my "warm" vinyasa (my studio is not air conditioned well, so it gets hot enough for me!).