Giving in late at night!

Options
I am SO diligent during the day and really have no problem eating healthy/mindfully. However, when the clock strikes 9-10 pm, suddenly I NEED food. The thing is that I know late at night is the WORST time to be eating carbs/sweets (I will typically go for sweets) because I don't have a chance to burn some of it off before bed! :(

Any tips? Tea isn't going to cut it ;)

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is almost irrelevant for weight loss. Unless you are a top grade athelete, eating later in the evening will have no discenable impact on your results. If you get hungry at night, leave some extra calories so that you can eat at night. I typically work out fairly late in the day, so I'm eating up to half an hour before bed. Eating late can make it difficult for some people to sleep, but if that isn't a problem for you, there is no reason you can't eat late. As long as you leave room budgeted in your calories and macros for late-night sweets, feel free. You don't have to completely abstain from the things you want to lose weight, just watch portion sizes. Hope that helps.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Actually, you can eat whatever you want so long as you stay within your calorie deficit. I usually eat a bowl of cereal at night or anything along with a glass of milk.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Try planning ahead and making another meal for late evening -this way at least if you consider it a meal you might put more thought and healthful planning into it.

Or one thing I just discovered for me - sunflower seeds (in the shell) they take so much work to eat so its easy to keep to 100-200 calories and it takes half an hour to eat them, or cherries with pits in them, or sugar snap peas, or something crunchy and low cal. but brushing your teeth and chewing gum can also help.

^ oh and what he said about cereal ones like rice crispies or something in the 150 calorie range with a bit of milk is really satisfying before bed!
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It helps to have a nightly ritual. Eat sitting at the table -- or at least not watching television. Choose your favorite tea and add ginger snaps or whatever your craving might be (be reasonable -- try to keep it under 250 calories.) However, I would suggest not eating really late, that kind of smacks of boredom rather than hunger --- it's called "mouth hunger" and not real hunger. So, make youre rituat at 9 p.m.

A few years ago, I used to start off my day with a chocolate croissant and tea. I had that every day for three months and I ate sensibly the rest of the day and exercised. My food craving was satiated and I lost 25 pounds.
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Options
    By a bullet blender and go for smoothies. Nothing naughty in them and they can be made as filling or as low-calorie as you want to suit your mood. Also, if you are anything like me there is a distracting entertainment value in coming up with new recepies that helps me forget the "OMG I AM SO HUNGRY" thoughts.

Failing that, the dieters stand-by - celery and cottage cheese. I am lucky that I love celery.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I know you said no tea, but there are teas flavored like chocolate and raspberries, cookie dough, and many other kinds of sweets that are delicious and zero calories.

If not, I'd just work whatever I wanted to eat into my calorie deficit and practice portion control.
  • touchafaith
    touchafaith Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with what other posters have said, it doesn't really matter what time of day you eat, weightloss is basically calories in vs calories out. I'm the same as you and find myself to be a late night muncher:blushing: I just make sure I leave enough of my allocated calories for a snack or 2 then. And when I snack it is cake/chocolate most of the time but at the moment while this is so new (3 weeks in) its keeping me from binging and in a way easing me into a new lifestyle. Hopefully it works for you too :-) Just stick at it.
  • autumndjones
    Options
    I have also been giving in to the snack monster... Glad I found this topic!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I just remind myself that I'm never hungry while I sleep and rarely wake up hungry. It's conitioning and I can change that. I used to eat whole meals before bed.
  • Roblyssa
    Roblyssa Posts: 125
    Options
    I am really glad for this post because it is around 9pm when I am feeling like chocolate or chips, something 'snacky' to eat. I think the replies you got are all very good advice, and I have taken a lot away from this post!

Thank you everyone!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Drink a shed-load of red and pass out.

Or do some meditation, find your inner peace and all that guff.

Heroin addiction also works.

Just sowing seeds ;)
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I too, suffer from this affliction. I generally try to save calories for this occasion. I try to fit a bit of protein in for my late night eating, that way I look at it as getting some extra protein.

Last night I had one slice of sara lee 45 calorie whole wheat bread with 1/2 serving (weighed) of natural peanut butter.

Other nights, I enjoy frozen greek yogurt in bars or little tubs. Basically tastes like an ice cream treat.

A few nuts. I like the sunflower seeds suggestion.

H
  • 63lab
    63lab Posts: 80
    Options
    I go to bed !
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    eat less during the day, and allow yourself more calories at night.

there is nothing against allowing yourself 200 calories for dessert. man, i usually allow myself 200 calories a day for alcohol.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I save 100 cals every day and before bed I split a candy bar with my husband. No matter how much I've eaten all day I always get a craving for a snack around 8.30pm, so it's better for me to know what I can have.
  • MrsMck22
    MrsMck22 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I know it's not very helpful, but after I eat dinner and have a skinny cow ice cream... I brush my teeth and go to bed by about 9 most nights. If it's a night I'm staying up late to watch a show, I'll save my ice cream until half way through the show.

These are really great ideas you've got here though. If you're going to give in and go over your calories anyway, why not plan for the late night munchies? :)

Good luck :)
  • SniffTheSweat
    Options
    Drink some water at 8pm. It's not hunger, it's thirst.
    Your body is mostly water, not night time snacks. Prioritise consumption accordingly.
  • misspersistent
    Options
    WOW - thanks for all your help! I seriously appreciate it so much and will put your advice into action :D

Thanks again!! (:
  • misspersistent
    Options
    I know you said no tea, but there are teas flavored like chocolate and raspberries, cookie dough, and many other kinds of sweets that are delicious and zero calories.

If not, I'd just work whatever I wanted to eat into my calorie deficit and practice portion control.

What brands have good teas that are sweet? (: