Fruit & Vege calories ! ? :)

Does everyone include fruits and vegetables into their daily calories? I've been told mixed things about the calories from fruits and vegetables and get confused!

Some people have been saying you should add them, as they are calories that you're intaking. But others have said not to add them, because they are so good and nutritious and the calories act in a totally different way to something as meats, carbs etc.

What does everyone think? :)

Replies

• punk_uss
    punk_uss Posts: 20 Member
    Tend to add them as I am also tracking fiber in my food log. I normally fall short on fiber and the veggies help.
  • The calories can add up. If it were spinach or lettuce, which only come out to about 15-20 calories for several cups, then not logging might be fine depending on your deficit. But a medium sized banana has 100+ calories. For myself, I just log anything with calories. Keeps me honest.

If it gets tedious for you, then you might quit and stop logging, so I would weigh that against the issue of an inaccurate diary.
  • sarahhorrigan
    sarahhorrigan Posts: 64 Member
    I add them - I'm vegan and without them, what would I be logging???!?! Plus, there are carbs in vegetables and fruit.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    I log them because fruit is about 50 cals per piece, a 100 cals per cup. That adds up fast. Veggies I log because I want to track my fiber and nutrients like Vit A and C...

I don't worry about the calories too much from them because it takes a lot of energy to process raw foods, but calories do count, so I log them.
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    I never really thought about it. I log every last thing I eat!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    How can you calorie count if you don't log all the calories?
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    I add them - I'm vegan and without them, what would I be logging???!?! Plus, there are carbs in vegetables and fruit.

Ditto! There are carbs, fats AND proteins in fruits and vegetables. Depends if you want to be on top of your diet or not.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    I log fruit cause they certainly pack calories and sugars etc. but Veggies i'm not so anal on being measure perfect just take an general measurement not each item perfectly and since it's usually in the form of Beans/peas, carrots, pumpkin, broccoli and cauliflower just log as mixed veggies either steamed, roasted or boiled, which really doesn't matter since they don't pack alot of calories or bad stuff , sure there are carbs and proteins but minor amounts unless you are eating a hell of a lot of them so other then having a log of vitamins and minerals which you don't see anyway there's no point logging exact.
  • joolsmitchell
    joolsmitchell Posts: 53 Member
    I add them...I eat lots of veg.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I add them. They still contain calories, carbs, sugar etc. if in one day I'm eating a nectarine, a banana, peas, carrots, broccoli and courgette for example, that adds up in calories.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Does everyone include fruits and vegetables into their daily calories? I've been told mixed things about the calories from fruits and vegetables and get confused!

Some people have been saying you should add them, as they are calories that you're intaking. But others have said not to add them, because they are so good and nutritious and the calories act in a totally different way to something as meats, carbs etc.

What does everyone think? :)

If it is a food or drink, it contains calories (apart from plain water), I log all fruit and veg.
  • xheatherwright
    xheatherwright Posts: 19 Member
    Cool thanks for the help guys, i tend to agree that they are counted as calories and should be added in, and i have been adding them in. Just wanted some more opinions :)
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    I think the idea that people have when they suggest fruit and vegetables are "free" is that it will be an incentive for people to eat more of those foods, which is good because they're so wonderful for you. It doesn't help much when you're counting calories though, because you might incorrectly estimate your intake.