Heavy Lifting

Options
Ok I am convinced - I need to start lifting. I am running regularly and doing Insanity when I can - as well as a couple of classes - but this is all cardio..... Doing insanity makes me realise my arms need to be stronger anyway - and I have been doing some dead lifting with my PT who is a huge proponent of HL. However - when at home I do need some assistance to make sure I do the right thing in the right place. Can anyone recommend a good lifting programme maybe on DVD or available to download? I have the weights and a bench - just need a programme or I run the risk of over developing the wrong muscles. Any help appreciated.

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Im not clued up at all on workout DVDs ... a simple 3 or 5 day split should work . Im sure there will be lots of answers on this one
  • alisam567
    alisam567 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hope so! I kind of need someone to show me if you know what i mean! its like a virtual class - I dont like the gym for loads of reasons - but I have the kit I just need the guidance!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Maybe try bodybuilding.com ?, the female section has loads of routines you can choose from
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Chalean Extreme is a good one :) I'm currently doing an Insanity/Chalean extreme hybrid. 3 days insanity and 3 days of lifting with Chalean. Love it!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com and jefit.com are good resources for finding begginer lifters. The former has some good bodyweight circuits and stretching routines, as well as a number of informative videos and articles. The latter has a huge database of exercises and routines broken down by muscle group and experience level. It's easy to find a routine that works what you want and meets your level of experience, and the website shows you the proper form for each exercise.
  • Rhayahana
    Rhayahana Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    For starting with lifting, you can try StrongLifts 5x5 (free, easy, but needs barbell/squat rack/bench) or NROLFW (new rules of lifting for women) which also requires some gear but it has more variations you could do at home.

There are groups for both right here on MFP, also stronglifts for women group which gives a good summary without all the RAWR-I-R-MAN-TESTOSTERONE crap.

Nia Shanks is aimed at women, Starting Strength is mostly what stronglifts is based on (from what I can see) only is very technical, and there's a ton more where those came from.

Find what works for you, and good luck on your lifting! I know I love it.