Eating 1500 calories a day, exercising and still not losing

Options

Replies

• piggler65
    piggler65 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    yes surprise surprise an overweight vegan:laugh:

I think the water retention idea due to upping my exercise makes sense.

I am secretly loving the thought that I can up my calories to as much as 2400 but that seems like a feast and not a weight loss strategy.

You all must be wrong about this although I can clearly see you have all lost weight so you obviously know what your are talking about.

I will up my calories from today and see what happens.

Thanks.
  • aviator111
    Options
    I've just gone through the same pain.

5'11" and 223lb. I lost 14lb dead easy, but the second 14lb has been torture.

I tried to lose at 2lb-per-week and MFP set the target at 1460 cal-per-day. Add the exercise cals in and even after say a mile swim at speed (by chosen cadio exercise because running incurs too many injuries) and I was still at around 2000 cals-per-day limit.

Naturally I thought 'don't eat back the cals' and I would reguarly run a defit of 400-800 cals (after MFP had calculated -1000 cal-per-day to start off with). So the overall defect would be 1400-1800 cal-per-day.

I thought I'd be a dead certainty to lose the 2lb-per-week as I had before I ran into trouble. But instead my weight plateued and even some weeks increased (a physiological impossibility but plenty of others report it).

Pushing your body into thinking it is being backed into a corner and is on the cusp of going into starvation mode is the problem. There's a fine balancing act between being able to lose weight, and tripping the body into automatically preparing for a period of reduced calorie income, and when the calories do come along, the body stores them like mad as fat to alleviate the next anticipated period of starvation.

Now I've changed my profile to 1.5lb-per-week and my MFP target is much more reasonable. I eat back every calorie from exercise and it seems to be working. Avoiding starvation mode is the key element. Keeping the body pretty much 'in the dark' that you are actually aiming to lose weight seems to be the strategy, whereby your eating routine doesn't substantially change and it doesn't automatically start taking steps to batten-down-the-hatches.

Good luck!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is 26 so you are about to be in the top of the normal range catagory very soon. You aren't very fat at all. Because you actually have very little to lose you have to eat much closer to your TDEE.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you don't weigh your food with a scale, get one and start doing it. You may be eating more than you think. You should be losing on 1500 since that's not nearly enough for a man of your size. I'm a 5'6" woman and at 112lbs I lost eating 1500 calories.

ETA: you don't sound overweight to me btw. I would suggest building up some muscle because that will change your body more visibly and most likely give you the results you are hoping to see :flowerforyou:
  • gmitchell183
    Options
    You may be losing body fat but it sounds like your excersize is more weight training than cardio, hense, muscle mass weighs more than body fat. Try doing more cardio type excersizes. I've been doing this less than a month and I'm already down over 11 lbs.

Keep the faith!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    For the record, I'm a 6'-1" vegetarian at 195 lbs, and my body fat is under 20%, so 197 lbs may not be overweight at all. Have you checked your body fat level?
  • morpheousneo
    morpheousneo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't know but being 6 ft tall at 197 pound does not sound overweight to me. Everybody is different though. Pump weights and get hard :)
  • piggler65
    Options
    yes surprise surprise an overweight vegan:laugh:

I think the water retention idea due to upping my exercise makes sense.

I am secretly loving the thought that I can up my calories to as much as 2400 but that seems like a feast and not a weight loss strategy.

You all must be wrong about this although I can clearly see you have all lost weight so you obviously know what your are talking about.

I will up my calories from today and see what happens.

Thanks.
  • piggler65
    Options
    thinking about weights but I have not been doing that - I have been doing fast interval cardio type run around beakers type thing but I do a regimented program of press ups - aiming to be able to 100 press ups at one time!!
  • piggler65
    Options
    last time I checked my body fat levels I was about 24-26% body fat. I don't look fat, But i know I have a bit of a belly - i don't have a chiseled defined chin - I think if i lost 14 or so pounds and got down to 13 stone (I am 14 stone 5 at the moment) I would look and feel like how I want it to look and feel!
  • piggler65
    Options
    Does anyone think I eat too much carbs?

I feel like I am a carb addict if I was to let myself go. I can easily eat 3 cups of rice although I might have to lie down after - sugar brain fog - and I really mean that.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks very restricted, and why only two meals a day? As a previous poster said, are you weighing your food? Rice is surprisingly high in calories, for example. Why not switch to some boiled potatoes now and again. I agree you need more calories BUT only if you are accurate about weighing and LOGGING everything you eat - that slice of birthday cake from a co-worker for example, still couonts even if you think you'e worked it off afterwards. :wink:

So at least three well-balanced meals with protein, less refined sugar/carbs, log everything and you shoud start to see a difference.

(And you're not remotely fat, just a little out of shape I'd guess:bigsmile: )
  • piggler65
    Options
    thanks I would not say I was fat but I definitely could lose 14-20 pounds

I choose to eat 2 meals a day as it is better for you if your not a manual worker.

I am a vegan so yes it is restricted.

Yes I eat a lot of rice, however I am watching the calories and am usually lower than 1500 calories per day on average.

I am not drinking a lot of water something I am trying to correct as we speak.
  • hamincold
    hamincold Posts: 9
    Options
    I am 5-7" and doing low carb high protein diet. This is an easy diet. No bread, no pasta, no rice.

Keeping your carbs as low as possible is the key. My doctor recommended keeping carbs no more than 50g a day. So far, I have lost 7.5 pounds in less than 28 days.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Does anyone think I eat too much carbs?

I feel like I am a carb addict if I was to let myself go. I can easily eat 3 cups of rice although I might have to lie down after - sugar brain fog - and I really mean that.

personally i think you should look at adding more protein and fat in, rather than taking carbs out.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    personally i think you should look at adding more protein and fat in, rather than taking carbs out.
    [/quote]

Good advice.
  • piggler65
    Options
    I am going to try adding more calories as we speak. It really does seem completely counter intuitive, but I hate to control what I eat, work out and not see the result on the scale.

Not sure how i am to get more fat and protein in as I am a vegan - any ideas TavistockToad?
  • Montarosa456
    Montarosa456 Posts: 133
    Options

As previously mentioned not all calories are created equally, I'm female - 5'7 - A 7 day a week exerciser and I'm eating over 2k calories most days and losing weight (annnnd I started at a healthy weight - trust me it's hard to lose weight when your already active/sensible BMI) the main point is how I take in the calories...Over a the 9 weeks I've been on here I was able to assess that I was not eating enough and not getting enough protein in my diet (i'm a veggie) and with those tweaks I feel amazing.

It's worth looking up some charts with which vegetables contain the most protein etc as you will find these more filling and a good source on a vegan diet. Plus if you like carbs (I'm a addict!) take them from sources like sweet potato - butter nut squash and grains like couscous etc as a alternative to rice :)

I think the 13 stone range sounds healthy for your height (my partner is 6'2 13st 3 and looks ace, just normal & healthy!)

Good Luck! :)
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There: I read your post and may I point out that you are eating alot of carbs.
    Each meal should consist of a protein and a carb.
    And if you eat a fast carb and a slow carb with your protein you regulate the amount of sugar in your bloodstream.
    Sugar in your bloodstream comes from carbohydrates.
    Every carb you eat gets converted into Glucose ( a form of sugar) in your body which can trigger the release of Insulin-the body's primary fat storing hormone.
    Learn about Glycemic Profile and you'll be losing weight!
    Good Luck!