Protein Bars

I'm having a hard time eating a good breakfast in the morning lately. I know I feel better all morning when I start with some protein. I don't usually like processed food but I'm curious to try something different.

Does anyone have any recommendations for protein bars? Ones that actually have protein and good stuff in them that are tasty and will satisfy me for a few hours.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    IMO the healthiest ones out there are Quest bars, they have 20-21g of protein, 1-2g of sugar, and 17g of fiber. They're not the best tasting ones out there though, IMO, but I guess it's because the others are more like candy bars, lol.

Have you tried protein shakes? If I make one with protein powder, some yogurt and fruit, it typically keeps me full longer.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    I like oats mix that with scoop protein n milk then microwave good brekky there
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    My husband likes Cliff Builder bars.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    the 'pure protein' bars are awesome and HIGH in protein. their shakes in a can are my favorite too. 35g protein, 1g fat, 2 carbs and only around 160cals.

but another option is to have a CHOBANI yogurt for breakfast! ive had one EVERY DAY since ive started my weight loss. @140cals, 14g protein, 0 fat, 1g fiber, ~20g carbs. THEY ARE SO DELICIOUS!!! xx
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    I suggest u make your own, then u can control whats in them. It only takes 15 mins and they. Ill last f or a week or so.
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    I love Quest bars. Most are under 200 calories, they have 20 or more grams of protein and an awesome amount of fiber. My faves are the ones with the coconut, chocolate chip cookie dough, the brownie ones, and vanilla almond. I haven't had one that I thought was gross yet, but some are better then others. You can order them online and do a google search for free shipping so u don't have to pay for shipping thru the website. You can also order on amazon. I'm hearing GNC has begun selling them as well now.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    IMO the healthiest ones out there are Quest bars, they have 20-21g of protein, 1-2g of sugar, and 17g of fiber. They're not the best tasting ones out there though, IMO, but I guess it's because the others are more like candy bars, lol.

Have you tried protein shakes? If I make one with protein powder, some yogurt and fruit, it typically keeps me full longer.

I have to second the Quest bars.. Lots of protein and fiber and also some fat.... all things I WANT in my diet.. Not a lot of sugars either. There's also no wheat in them which is great for me since I'm sensitive to wheat. YAY! I think they taste great.. not as great as say, a Snickers Marathon protein bar..... but you can guess why the Snicker's Marathon tastes better.

Another easy way I get protein in the morning is just toss a scoop of protein powder in my coffee with some real half and half. Just make sure the coffee is not too hot or the protein powder won't mix... I mix 6 ounces of coffee with 2 ounces of half and half then add the protein powder and stir... then add the other six ounces of coffee and it makes an awesome 16ish ounce tasty coffee drink with 27 grams of protein and under 200 calories.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Thanks everyone, lots of good suggestions here. I'm going to the grocery store after work today to see what they carry.

I'd really like to try making shakes, but I just don't want to drag out my blender every morning. I used to have a boiled egg every morning but a stupid fox ate my chickens. We got new chickens but it will be a few months before they start laying and I just can't bring myself to buy eggs. They're just not as tasty.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Thanks everyone, lots of good suggestions here. I'm going to the grocery store after work today to see what they carry.

I'd really like to try making shakes, but I just don't want to drag out my blender every morning. I used to have a boiled egg every morning but a stupid fox ate my chickens. We got new chickens but it will be a few months before they start laying and I just can't bring myself to buy eggs. They're just not as tasty.

highly recommend BLACK CHERRY chobani. MY FAVORITE!! also strawberry and blueberry are the bomb. sorry about your chickens thats so sad, but i do love foxes they are beautiful creatures. nature....
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member

I have to second the Quest bars.. Lots of protein and fiber and also some fat.... all things I WANT in my diet.. Not a lot of sugars either. There's also no wheat in them which is great for me since I'm sensitive to wheat. YAY! I think they taste great.. not as great as say, a Snickers Marathon protein bar..... but you can guess why the Snicker's Marathon tastes better.

Another easy way I get protein in the morning is just toss a scoop of protein powder in my coffee with some real half and half. Just make sure the coffee is not too hot or the protein powder won't mix... I mix 6 ounces of coffee with 2 ounces of half and half then add the protein powder and stir... then add the other six ounces of coffee and it makes an awesome 16ish ounce tasty coffee drink with 27 grams of protein and under 200 calories.

Do the coffee thing as well, but if you mix the protein with 4 oz water first you'll have no clumping issues.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member

If your interested in Quest, they are not in grocery stores but in nutrition stores i.e. GNC whose ridiculously over priced but you'll be able to choose single bars and try the flavors.
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    I picked up some think thin bars at the grocery store yesterday for when I'm in a time crunch 240 cal/9g fat/20g protein. The one I've tried so far (peanut butter) tasted pretty good. They do have sugar alcohols tho, so if you're sensitive to that they may not work for you.
  • LizAnn925
    LizAnn925 Posts: 20 Member
    I'm going to be honest here. As a clean-eating hope-to-be bodybuilder, I am definitely not a fan of protein bars unless you make them yourself. I used to eat PowerBars all of the time with my mom who is a runner, but looking at the ingredients, they are really just candy bars with added protein. Most contain an immense amount of sugar and other questionable ingredients (PowerBars contain a whopping 26 grams of sugar...that is more than the daily recommendation for women!). I will not lie, I think that a PowerBar would be great right before you are about to run a half marathon or climb a mountain, but chances are, not all of us do that every day.

I highly recommend researching some recipes for making your own protein bars. Oxygen Magazine always contains great recipes like this. This way, you save money and you know EXACTLY what is going into your protein bars. Here is the link for a recipe to make chocolate goji berry protein bars. There are endless lists online of easy-to-make protein bars...some of them don't even require baking!

http://www.oxygenmag.com/nutrition/dark-chocolate-goji-protein-bars/

Also, why not start your day with a filling protein shake instead? I do this often and it is a great way to boost your system as soon as the day starts, not to mention it is quick and easy to make. You can add a cup of whatever leafy green you like (it won't taste like greens, it might just look green) such as spinach or kale, 1 cup of any fruit, 1 scoop of protein powder, and either a cup of water or almond/soy milk.

You can plan ahead small breakfasts ahead, too, that will be much healthier than the sugar-stuffed "protein bars." Today I had a slice of whole grain bread with 1 tablespoon of natural peanut better and 3/4 a plantain with my coffee. I must say that I am very full! On other days I will have a morning salad with kale, tomatoes, and avocados, but usually I just make a protein shake and I am satisfied. With the protein shakes, you can get a lot of nutrients depending on what you add into it. With store-bought protein bars, you aren't really getting as many fresh nutrients at all besides protein.

Hope this helps you out!
  • lottogirly
    lottogirly Posts: 26 Member
    I usually have a top care chocolate protein shake in the morning with a vitamin supplement. I don't need a blender cause all I use is my shaker cup. (Any cup with a lid will do so you can shake it up and go!). It's pretty filling but I usually add eggs and such just cause I want something to eat too. I mainly started the shakes for the amino acids. I use top care which is only $11 at food city and its only 110 cals if you mix with water like I do. It's not for everyone but it works for me. I'm out right now and I can sure tell the difference in my day.
  • lottogirly
    lottogirly Posts: 26 Member
    I usually have a top care chocolate protein shake in the morning with a vitamin supplement. I don't need a blender cause all I use is my shaker cup. (Any cup with a lid will do so you can shake it up and go!). It's pretty filling but I usually add eggs and such just cause I want something to eat too. I mainly started the shakes for the amino acids. I use top care which is only $11 at food city and its only 110 cals if you mix with water like I do. It's not for everyone but it works for me. I'm out right now and I can sure tell the difference in my day.
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    I suggest u make your own, then u can control whats in them. It only takes 15 mins and they. Ill last f or a week or so.

this. here's a link to a great formula for making your own:
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemade-energy-bar-recipe/
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Pure Protein bars aren't bad. 20g of protein for about 200 calories or less. They almost taste like candy bars.

If you have some protein powder you can mix in half a scoop (slowly) with a container of plain chobani for about 30g of protein or more.

If you have an extra five minutes you can whip up some eggs. They're not as good if you nuke them, but they're pretty quick to cook.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Quest bars!

I own a box of every flavor...
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    I love Quest bars. Most are under 200 calories, they have 20 or more grams of protein and an awesome amount of fiber. My faves are the ones with the coconut, chocolate chip cookie dough, the brownie ones, and vanilla almond. I haven't had one that I thought was gross yet, but some are better then others. You can order them online and do a google search for free shipping so u don't have to pay for shipping thru the website. You can also order on amazon. I'm hearing GNC has begun selling them as well now.

Where do you buy the Quest bars? I have been looking all over for them and can't find them in stores, just online.

Edit: If I had read your WHOLE post I would see that you said online or GNC, sorry!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    I'll add my name to the Quest Bars list. I like the Cinnamon Roll and the Strawberry Shortcake ones. The lemon ones are "meh." At 20g protein and only 170 calories, they're pretty efficient little guys (makes me wonder how they do it, but I'll decide to not play Pandora on that box). As for where to buy them...teh intarwebz!!! http://www.questproteinbar.com/

I'll also throw out PR Nutrition's chocolate mint bars. If you like Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies....OMFGWTFBBQ. That's all I have to say about that.