Menapause

Options
Hello anyone have suggestions on menopause belly fat. I am losing everywhere but the mid section. I sure could use some advice on what to eat and exercise. Thanks Lisa Pooh:sad:

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You can't control where you lose fat from first. We are all genetically programmed to carry extra weight in different places. There is no special diet, no special foods, no exercises that will target or spot reduce this fat. The only thing you can do is keep losing weight and/or reducing your body fat percentage until it is gone. To do that, eat at a moderate calorie deficit, do some exercise (strength training is great for reducing body fat percentage), apply some patience and give it time.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you cut carbs, especially simple carbs, and processed foods and up protein, that belly fat will go away. Carbs cause us to store 4 grams of water for each gram of carbs that is stored.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    If you cut carbs, especially simple carbs, and processed foods and up protein, that belly fat will go away. Carbs cause us to store 4 grams of water for each gram of carbs that is stored.

No. Well, no to the part about "if you cut cabs your belly fat will go away." Food in excess - of any type - causes us to store fat. She wasn't asking about three or four pounds of water weight.

What Lora said above is spot-on. Maintain a calorie deficit and exercise to lose fat from your body. You will lose it wherever you are genetically predisposed to lose first. But eventually, if you continue to lose body fat, your belly will go down.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Sorry, but no. The only thing that causes belly fat is too many calories. Carbs intake can result in glycogen storage, if the individual isn't exercising and staying active enough to burn that off......but the actual fat comes from excess calories of any macro.

I eat carbs all the time. I love them. They are fuel for my body. And yet, as you can see by my profile pic, I've managed to lose quite a bit of belly fat. Funny how a calorie deficit will work for that.
  • lisapooh1
    lisapooh1 Posts: 90
    Options
    Thanks Lora for your advice.....:smile:
  • lisapooh1
    Options
    Thank you also...:smile:
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    There was an article in today's paper on weight gain after menopause. The average woman gains 12 pounds and the fat moves from the hips and thighs to the belly area. This was a research study conducted by the Mayo clinic. The conclusion was that to lose the belly fat it is necessary to cut the carbs and increase the protein.
  • lisapooh1
    Options
    thanks! :smile: