Breastfeeding may Prevent Type 2 Diabetes

Options
Saw this on the news this morning and found this article! I thought I would share this with all of you! =)

http://www.newsonwellness.com/1276/wellness/breastfeeding-prevents-type-2-diabetes-says-studies.html

Replies

• jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    There are SO many benefits to breastfeeding, for both mother & baby!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information; however, these are retrospective studies that don't take into consideration other fatcors. The correct way to determine the validy of the statement is to have a control group.
    I am a scientist and I was very much involved in clinical studies, until I retired, so I take these news with a grain of salt. I don't disclaim the benefits of breast feeding but there are many woman that can not breast feed their children either for health reason, choice or because the children were adopted; so when I read this kind of articles I fell bad for them and I hope that they don't feel guilty about it.

By the way, I did not breastfeed my children (my choice), I am 66 years old and my fasting glucose level is about 66.
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    Thank you for the information; however, these are retrospective studies that don't take into consideration other fatcors. The correct way to determine the validy of the statement is to have a control group.
    I am a scientist and I was very much involved in clinical studies, until I retired, so I take these news with a grain of salt. I don't disclaim the benefits of breast feeding but there are many woman that can not breast feed their children either for health reason, choice or because the children were adopted; so when I read this kind of articles I fell bad for them and I hope that they don't feel guilty about it.

By the way, I did not breastfeed my children (my choice), I am 66 years old and my fasting glucose level is about 66.

I get what your saying, but there ARE benefits to breastfeeding that have been proven time and time again. and I understand that there are indeed women that cant breastfeed, some choose not too, some cant, some feel bad about not being able or choosing not too, some dont...that doesnt mean we all shouldnt share the benefits of doing so for fear of offending....I dont know what it is about this subject, its like some women are just looking for reasons to be offended when it comes to ANY mention of breastfeeding, id just hope we can all be grown up enough to take the info for what it is and if we dont like it or agree with it we can just move on :)
  • sissytx
    sissytx Posts: 50
    Options
    Breastfeeding is great for baby and Mom. I breasfed but I have type 2 diabetes. So I think it very much depends on the person and their genetic history.