My turn for a very silly question...

Options
Alright, so this is something I've been confused about my entire life and never really thought about getting clarified until now.

Water.

Exactly how much should a person have a day? Some people claim it's eight cups others claim it's eight glasses. I noticed this website measure it in cups, are we talking standard baking measurements here? I know it's a silly little thing to fret over, but I have to ask.

Exactly how much water should I be drinking a day?
Is it true I should drink twice as much to loose weight?

So many diet myths floating around. Yeek!

Replies

• bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    There are myths and different opinions here too but I went with the recommended 64 oz a day as recommended here and it worked for me.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    8 Cups = 64 oz

I dont know what the standard for a "glass" is, but you also get water from your food.

If you exercise etc, you obviously need more/
  • ladytap
    ladytap Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've always read 8 - 8 ounce glasses a day, or 64 ounces. Although, lately I've been seeing 80 ounces floating around in a few articles. The big picture is to drink as much water as possible every day...the specific amount is up for debate. :drinker:
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to drink in ounces how many kilograms you weigh. I weigh 63 kilos so I should drink 63 ounces of water, which measures out to 7.88 cups or 8 cups. ;)
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I try and get at least the 8 glasses of 8oz. a day and if I drink more great and if I just get the 8 no biggie.. Just focus on getting at least ur 8 glasses a day..

P.S. 8 oz. = 1 Cup
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    as said above, 8 cups or 8 glasses is equal to 64oz of water a day. i grew up always hearing this one simple rule: think of your body weight, divide it in half, then convert that to ounces of water that you should drink a day. so, for me, at weighing 120 pounds / 2 = 60 pounds = 60oz of water per day. 8 glasses of water per day is always a good foundational guideline.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have stated that you should be drinking half of your body weight in oz of water. Im 185 pounds right now so that would be 92.5 oz of water, or 11 1/2 glasses per day (at the standard 8oz per glass).
    I have noticed that if I drink anything under about 8 or 9 glasses per day that my scale won't budge until I up the amount again.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I believe when they say 8 glasses they mean 8 8oz servings of water, which would be a standard 1 cup measuring cup. As far as how much you should be drinking that depends on you personally. For me I don't feel (and I go off of the pee test, I want my pee as clear as I can get it, lol) hydrated unless I drink at least 12-15 glasses of water. Plus I don't like to feel thirsty (that's a sign of dehydration anyways) so I always have my 24 oz camelbak with me and go through 3 of those within my 8 hour work day. It usually takes me til mid afternoon for the "pee test" to show me that I am hydrated.

It's all how you feel.
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    I've read you should drink about half your body weight in ounces each day. I weigh 200 lbs, so I should drink about 100 oz of water each day, that comes down to 12.5 glasses/cups of water each day. This is very easy for me, as I am active and the only thing I drink all day is water. If you're drinking 64 oz of water a day you're fine, but if you're drinking more that's ok too. As long as you aren't making yourself sick, it's not a problem. If you feel like you're not drinking enough water, you should try to drink more, replace something you normally drink everyday (tea, soda, milk, etc) with a glass of water instead.