9 reasons why counting calories is dumb

Options
I thought this article was awesome - http://tomnikkola.com/9-reasons-why-counting-calories-is-dumb/

Not saying MFP is dumb - just that maybe the macros and what we're actually putting in our bodies is more important than the calorie total?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    The problem with that is that it ALL comes down to reducing calories. Have too high a sugar macro and are looking to increase your protein? You cut down sugar and start eating chicken. That's calorie counting. Carbs a problem for you? Reduce that - which means reducing the amount of food you are eating. Etc etc.

Not to mention, if nutritional labels are off 20%, so are their estimates of the nutrients you're getting in those foods. The theory is flawed by it's own design.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    9 reasons that article is stupid.

1. NUTRIENT LABELS CAN BE OFF BY 20%
    >Implying I eat enough packaged foods for this to be relevant

2. YOU DON’T ESTIMATE WELL
    >Implying I estimate my portion sizes

3. MEASURING CALORIE EXPENDITURE IS SIGNIFICANTLY INACCURATE
    >Implying I log exercise

4. RESTING METABOLIC RATE VARIES DAY TO DAY
    >implying this doesn't even out over time

5. WHEN YOU EAT FEWER CALORIES, YOUR BODY BURNS FEWER CALORIES
    >Implying I don't already know about and compensate for adaptive thermogenesis

6. A CALORIE OF PROTEIN IS NOT THE SAME AS A CALORIE OF FAT OR CARBOHYDRATE
    >Implying I don't count macros

7. CALORIE COUNTING ISN’T SUSTAINABLE
    Sustainable for whom? It's sustainable for me and has been for a year.

8. NO STUDY HAS SHOWN LOW-CALORIE DIETS ARE EFFECTIVE FOR LONG-TERM WEIGHT LOSS
    Is the author arguing calories in < calories out doesn't cause weight loss? :laugh:

9. PEOPLE DON’T GAIN WEIGHT BECAUSE THEY EAT TOO MANY CALORIES, THEY EAT TOO MANY CALORIES BECAUSE THEY’RE GAINING WEIGHT
    Lol wut :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now if only MFP let us green text.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Laughable article and it even references Taubes. Hint, anything that sites Taubes is going to be FoS.

I'll keep counting calories and gaining weight on my bulks and losing weight on my cuts. Funny how effective that is for so many of us.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the majority of this article. I'd list the reasons but the second reply you got (justsomerandom) basically covers my thoughts on this.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    so stupid not even worth responding to
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    No.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    compete and total BS...
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Now if only MFP let us green text.

LOL
    Attack of the btards ;)

Calories matter, simple as that.
    As for a calorie of fat vs calorie of protein vs calorie of fibre... that's like saying a pound of feathers is less than a pound of brick. It is still a pound. A Calorie (Kcal) in this case is a defined unit of measurement - 1000 calories, where a calorie is defined as the amount of energy required to heat 1 gram of water by 1 degree celsius. So yeah, a Calorie of each of those things is still 1000 calories, each capable of heating 1g of water by 1 degree celsius.

The defined unit of measurement doesn't change based on the source.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

9. PEOPLE DON’T GAIN WEIGHT BECAUSE THEY EAT TOO MANY CALORIES, THEY EAT TOO MANY CALORIES BECAUSE THEY’RE GAINING WEIGHT

the what now?!?!
  • adamgottlob
    adamgottlob Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I read a similar article why counting calories "doesn't work" and they say things like "a calorie isn't always a calorie" and "3500 calories does not equal a pound of fat"...so what? Counting calories isn't perfect. I sat on the couch on Saturday and stacked firewood on Sunday. I could never accurately calculate my calorie expenditure...

But to say that because it's imperfect and people are imperfect that the concept is "dumb" borders on irresponsible. We have to calculate something and calories are a decent measure. If I am low one day I assume I will be high another day. If I am always high I can reduce my targets.

But I believe anyone who says calorie counting doesn't work, was simply not able to stick with it.
  • rsjoWECHANGED
    Options
    To each their own - its just an alternative perspective that might work for other people...

I've lost 55lbs without counting calories and just focusing on what types of food I eat - never hungry and never deprived - I use MFP every once in a while to make sure I'm hovering around the right macros.

Will be interesting to see what people have to say about Taubes being FoS when http://nusi.org/about-us/board-of-directors/#.UdrI1tLrxfA starts releasing their findings
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

the what now?!?!

yea, that one pretty much blew me away too...
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I needed a good laugh this morning XD
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A very firm believer of this:" A calorie from fat, carbohydrate, protein or alcohol are not close to the same. Each has a different effect on metabolic rate, hormones and satiety."

Of course I don't want to track my calories every day for the rest of my life, but I do think it is especially useful for people who end up getting off track and become completely unaware of how much they are eating. I could see it being especially true for people who are obese. They may not be counting it perfectly , but perhaps they become aware for the first time that they have been consuming a ridiculous amount of calories for their lifestyle.
    I don't track every day. Usually just one week a month. Hormone wise I could eat gallons of ice cream, pasta and a lot of other things.
    Otherwise I listen to my body and choose foods based on a general knowledge of what their calorie content is, which I learned from initially measuring and counting calories.
  • martinescoto
    Options
    Its almost like a Bleacher Report article. TERRIBLE!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    To each their own - its just an alternative perspective that might work for other people...

I've lost 55lbs without counting calories and just focusing on what types of food I eat - never hungry and never deprived - I use MFP every once in a while to make sure I'm hovering around the right macros.

Will be interesting to see what people have to say about Taubes being FoS when http://nusi.org/about-us/board-of-directors/#.UdrI1tLrxfA starts releasing their findings

The lolz keep coming . . .
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of seeing this bull**** at the minute.

Let's not try and overcomplicate something which is essentially very system

Track your calories, track your macros and eat some good greens to ensure you get your micros.

Really do we need so much bull**** pseudo science around this by uneducated 'diet experts'.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The answer to weight management isn’t eating fewer calories, it’s in eating more quality food.

I think in reality it's both.

Interesting article. Lots of food for thought but I doubt it's going to go down well on what is essentially a calorie counting website...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    One reason counting calories is not dumb:

Comparison-6-13_small.png

Score:
    Counting calories 1
    Not counting calories 0
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Is having a gas gauge on your car dumb?

Calories are energy, too much and too little will cause you problems.