Down 200 Pounds in 17 Months (from 405 to 205 lbs)

Options
I weighed in yesterday and I was at exactly 205 pounds which is a total loss of 200 pounds since I started my weight loss journey. I’m 6-0 in height, male, and age 38. I started at 405 pounds on February 17, 2012 and as of July 7, 2013, I am at 205 pounds. That is a loss of 200 pounds in 73 weeks or 2.7 pounds per week. In the last year, I have been averaging a loss of around 2.2 pounds per week with pretty consistent weight loss. My waist measurement was at around 66 inches at my navel when I was at 405 pounds and now my waist is at 38 inches. I still have more to lose and more fitness goals to reach but I feel great. Hitting the weight loss mark of 200 pounds is a huge milestone for me. I just wanted to share the good news. I still want to work in decreasing my body fat percentage and increasing my muscle mass. For exercise, I have done mostly walking, hiking, and swimming along with lifting weights. I now really enjoy exercise and try to exercise 2-3 hours a day. I did just walking and swimming for the first six months and then added weight training. For diet, I have focused on eating more fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean protein with portion control. I try to eat 5-6 times a deal with smaller meals and snacks. I try to eat at least 10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day (e.g. fresh bananas, apples, green peppers, carrots, cucumbers). I still go out for the occasional pizza or Mexican food but that is only maybe once a week. My lifestyle has totally changed. I feel great and my health is now excellent. I’m 38 years old and I’m in the best shape of my life. I was a mess with pre-hypertension and morbidly obese with a BMI of 55. Now, I’m working on getting ripped with an athletic build with a current BMI of 27. I saw my father last week who I didn’t see in two years and he says I look like an NFL player. I started slow with just walking and then have increased my exercise level with more intensity and duration over time. My father in law now calls me a health and fitness junkie. I’m just trying to live life to its fullest and improve my health and fitness. I can now swim a mile in 37 minutes and run three miles in 26 minutes. My mom has gastric bypass surgery a few years ago but I knew that I could lose weight on my own. I have lost the weight without surgery, fad diets, pills, a personal trainer, or a reality television show. I have tried to use a common sense with proper exercise, nutrition, and relying on my faith in God. I know it’s cliché but if I can do it, anyone can do it. A comparison pic is on my profile.

Replies

• bushokie
    bushokie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    awesome work
  • jlmorgan14
    Options
    Congrats!! Job well done :) Thank you for sharing.
  • costafortune
    Options
    Outstanding dedication! Congratulations! Stories like yours keep me motivated, and focused on the long term. Thank you for sharing. :drinker:
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! You are an inspiration with your dedication and determination!!!
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    That is truely an incredible feat and you should be so proud of yourself. I bet your son will never say that to you again.
    Awesome!!!
  • soxx226
    soxx226 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring! We have similar builds and started around the same weight! I only hope to lose 100 more pounds to be where u are now.
  • canadianbugga
    canadianbugga Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You must feel amazing! Congratulations on your achievement! :)
  • pattypraises
    pattypraises Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    good work! You are an inspiration to us all!
  • mattnjakesmom
    Options
    That is amazing!!
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's so amazing. Thank you for sharing. It's truly motivational. It makes me want to get out there and work even harder!
  • jojo2love
    jojo2love Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations! And you are so right - we can all do it with determination and persistence!
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Fantastic commitment and results. Working towards a similar path myself.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I appreciate you sharing your story. What an accomplishment!
  • the0th3rjen
    the0th3rjen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Congrats on all your hard work =)
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Go superman!!!
  • ellis222
    ellis222 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Incredible results! Congrats!
  • timkane46
    timkane46 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great work man !
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Love success stories like yours. Thank you for sharing.
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Thanks for sharing your story!
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    Go Brian! Awesome job! Your superman shirt is too big! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!