Question for the swimmers

Options
Hey all,

I'm all done vacationing, and ready to dive into a new fitness plan (literally!). My question is about swimming caps. Do you use them when you are swimming laps? I have long hair that I colour, so I'm sure the chlorine will do a number on it.

Thanks!

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I don't, but you can.
  • mltidw
    mltidw Posts: 4
    Options
    I do. I didn't use a swim cap at first, but I started about a month ago to help protect my hair. Aside from any hair protection properties, I like it, because it keeps all the little wispy hairs around my face back. I didn't realize how annoying they were until they were gone!
  • jjjbeans111
    Options
    Yup, always. Just makes it easier to swim, less drag and whatnot.

I usually wear the nylon caps rather than the rubber ones because they are much easier to put on and take off. They might be pricier and need to be rinsed of chlorine but those are the ones i recommend!

Enjoy your swim!
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I use one. Pros - it protects your hair (somewhat), keeps the hair out of your way and reduces drag.

Cons - it makes my head feel hot sometimes.

Pro tip - If you can, french braid your hair, or at least put it into the lowest ponytail you can. Use baby powder on the inside of the cap to make it less "sticky" (ie so it won't pull on your hair). Lean over, flip your braid/pony up to lie up the back of your head. Stretch the cap open with your hands, put it on the back of your neck where the ponytail isand pull up and over until the other side is covering your forehead. It should end somewhere halfway in between your hairline and your eyebrows, and the tops of your ears should be inside it.
  • DucksandOranges
    DucksandOranges Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yup, always. Just makes it easier to swim, less drag and whatnot.

Yes exactly. Your hair will still get wet and chloriney but less tangled and will stay out of your way. If you're not too worried about drag and just want to get some laps in I really like nylon/lycra caps because they dont snag on my hair and they seem to stretch more around my big hair/head. I have this one: http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3106239&camp=CSE:GoogleBase&CAWELAID=1116899851&catargetid=1389836034&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CLDLxJfCoLgCFS9eQgodDUEA8w

this site offers a good explanation: http://www.swimming-caps.info

Oh and I totally second the braid idea! I put my hair in a low braid and flip it up under my cap
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I wear a cap as well. but my hair dresser told me that it is best to get your hair wet first, because already wet hair will not absorb as much chlorinated water as dry hair will. I use Aveda products, and also put a small amount of conditioner on before I put my cap on as well. Works for me!
  • PollyWolly98
    PollyWolly98 Posts: 112
    Options
    I used to use the nylon type, but recently switched to silicon. I always thought that people used the silicon type to keep their hair dry, but that is definitely not the case. My hair gets wet no matter what. I have to use something or my goggles eat my hair and make terrible tangles. I just make a low bun and stretch the cap over.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I always use a cap then again its a cloth cap because if I dont my hair will get into my eyes and also the strap of my goggles will pull my hair!!!!!! My colour will fade in the pool too!!
  • goldk
    goldk Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I always use one to keep the hair out of my face while I'm swimming. :bigsmile:
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't use a cap when I swim laps. Figure my hair is getting wet no matter what. Plus I don't like accentuate my big head :happy:
    I don't have colored hair though so I don't worry about that part.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I do. Gotta protect the combover.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The cap, especially the cheap ones, keep the goggles in place. Without it, the goggle straps slide down the back of my head.

I've seen people wet their hair and put conditioner on under the cap. Otherwise, there are special swim shampoos you can get to remove chlorine from your hair. Sometimes I've seen them at the grocery store. Personally, I have been swimming for about 10 years and my hair is good and I just use normal shampoo and conditioner after swimming.