9 reasons why counting calories is dumb

Options

Replies

• CountingCaloriesSuxass
    CountingCaloriesSuxass Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I read this and sighed..... There are SO MANY people out there who tell us that what we're doing is dumb, unhealthy, stupid, etc.etc.
    A calorie, is a calorie (or kilo-calorie to be exact). A kilo-calorie is the amount of heat required to raise one gram of water through one degree centigrade So if you eat 10 calories of protein, or ten calories of fat,. then you need the same amount of energy to burn that 10 calories off. The only difference in the calories is the order, and how, your metabolism burns off calories. That's an exact science, and too involved to dump into a blog.
    I know that counting calories works, it IS sustainable, and it IS a healthy way of losing weight. That is all there is to it. thousands of other people on MFP will agree, we have counted calories and we have lost weight. The only addition to counting calories that we make, and that we know is essential for our success is that we run, walk, swim, cross-train or lift heavy.

Eat less, exercise more, count calories = lose weight.

It's not rocket science - and please excuse the quote - MFP works. Count calories.

to hell with all your simplicity and logic!

Everyone knows that counting calories is pointless and you can eat more than you take in and still lose weight as long as you do master cleanses, followed by ketone cleanses, and then go on the cabbage diet for a month ...

calories in vs calories out pffffffffft who does that????

Who does that?? People that cant do it any other way..
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I read this and sighed..... There are SO MANY people out there who tell us that what we're doing is dumb, unhealthy, stupid, etc.etc.
    A calorie, is a calorie (or kilo-calorie to be exact). A kilo-calorie is the amount of heat required to raise one gram of water through one degree centigrade So if you eat 10 calories of protein, or ten calories of fat,. then you need the same amount of energy to burn that 10 calories off. The only difference in the calories is the order, and how, your metabolism burns off calories. That's an exact science, and too involved to dump into a blog.
    I know that counting calories works, it IS sustainable, and it IS a healthy way of losing weight. That is all there is to it. thousands of other people on MFP will agree, we have counted calories and we have lost weight. The only addition to counting calories that we make, and that we know is essential for our success is that we run, walk, swim, cross-train or lift heavy.

Eat less, exercise more, count calories = lose weight.

It's not rocket science - and please excuse the quote - MFP works. Count calories.

to hell with all your simplicity and logic!

Everyone knows that counting calories is pointless and you can eat more than you take in and still lose weight as long as you do master cleanses, followed by ketone cleanses, and then go on the cabbage diet for a month ...

calories in vs calories out pffffffffft who does that????

Who does that?? People that cant do it any other way..

Calories in calories out is literally the only way to do it. Some people do it directly, some people kinda wing it or fake it with other methods and the calories actually work out for them.

I prefer to focus on the things that literally, actually matter. At the end of the day, calories in calories out is how this all works. So I exercise direct control over the calories in and the calories out. And it works.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    why you calling me names?

You should report this post. It's in violations of the terms.

I know right!!!
    And...I am not dumb..just for the record..I just suck

I had noticed that.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    9 reasons that article is stupid.

1. NUTRIENT LABELS CAN BE OFF BY 20%
    >Implying I eat enough packaged foods for this to be relevant

2. YOU DON’T ESTIMATE WELL
    >Implying I estimate my portion sizes

3. MEASURING CALORIE EXPENDITURE IS SIGNIFICANTLY INACCURATE
    >Implying I log exercise

4. RESTING METABOLIC RATE VARIES DAY TO DAY
    >implying this doesn't even out over time

5. WHEN YOU EAT FEWER CALORIES, YOUR BODY BURNS FEWER CALORIES
    >Implying I don't already know about and compensate for adaptive thermogenesis

6. A CALORIE OF PROTEIN IS NOT THE SAME AS A CALORIE OF FAT OR CARBOHYDRATE
    >Implying I don't count macros

7. CALORIE COUNTING ISN’T SUSTAINABLE
    Sustainable for whom? It's sustainable for me and has been for a year.

8. NO STUDY HAS SHOWN LOW-CALORIE DIETS ARE EFFECTIVE FOR LONG-TERM WEIGHT LOSS
    Is the author arguing calories in < calories out doesn't cause weight loss? :laugh:

9. PEOPLE DON’T GAIN WEIGHT BECAUSE THEY EAT TOO MANY CALORIES, THEY EAT TOO MANY CALORIES BECAUSE THEY’RE GAINING WEIGHT
    Lol wut :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now if only MFP let us green text.

Nice and to the point, love it :)
  • DesireeAshley90
    DesireeAshley90 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, calorie count comes from multiplying carbs, protein, and fat by a certain number and adding them together. In turn, reducing calories :ohwell:
  • BathtubBadger
    BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    One reason counting calories is not dumb:

Comparison-6-13_small.png

Score:
    Counting calories 1
    Not counting calories 0

And my heart just skipped a beat :blushing:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

>Implying I log exercise

Is the author arguing calories in < calories out doesn't cause weight loss? :laugh:

9. PEOPLE DON’T GAIN WEIGHT BECAUSE THEY EAT TOO MANY CALORIES, THEY EAT TOO MANY CALORIES BECAUSE THEY’RE GAINING WEIGHT

Pretty much this. I enjoyed the 'calorie counting isn't sustainable' argument too... I needed a good laugh for the day.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    SImply no.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options

>Implying I log exercise

QFT, and may I add "Low Calorie Diet" is extremely subjective. I eat 2000ish calories daily..,
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

Score:
    Counting calories 1
    Not counting calories 0

Wow. Made my day! So happy I clicked on this thread! :bigsmile:
  • kosuke081
    kosuke081 Posts: 69
    Options
    I don't have much to add to what's been said, but by counting calories I've learned portion sizes. I know what I log isn't exact (even though I do try), but I'm moving more and eating less because the calorie counting taught me what I should be trying to do to lose weight. I may not have to count calories for my entire life, but what I learned from just two weeks of it has helped me make better food choices than if I hadn't.

So I guess I'm dumb. Well, my English is. What I wrote probably only made sense to me. :D
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Nobody said math is hard...I said its annoying, and not the only way to lose/maintain weight..

And again, it works for some, not everybody.
    you do realize that, in the end, this is a numbers game... right?

ETA: Not that I know anything about losing weight, though.. .
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    for me... when i began counting calories, i began choosing better foods.. then i added exercise to the mix.. which has equaled weight/ inches lost..

so in my book : calories counting = good!

This. To me it's like Oakland A's GM Billy Beane in Moneyball or managing a fantasy football team. I have this much to spend. I have find foods that give me value so I can come in around that number or slightly below.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Score:
    Counting calories 1
    Not counting calories 0

❤❤❤ awesome!! My progress pics = reason #2
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    toplel

[citation needed] :laugh:
    9efe80b04460a78a6228a86be34040b5_zpse0d03d34.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    From the article:

"People don’t gain weight because they eat too many calories, they eat too many calories because they’re gaining weight"

Stupidest statement I've seen/heard in quite a while.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Is the author arguing calories in < calories out doesn't cause weight loss?

Good thing I am not on a low calorie diet (1200 or less) then. Has anyone ever in the history of humanity ever lost weight by not either increasing exercise or cutting calories or a combination of both? Oh and without having become sick, I have heard that you can drop weight for no apparent reason and there is usually some kind of illness involved. This article which I didn't read because the headline alone screams stupid and subsequent comments have affirmed my stupid meter is not broken.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    People are saying counting calories does not work for them, but that simply just isn't true, or you wouldn't be losing weight at all. Just because you aren't putting a number to everything doesn't mean you aren't counting calories. You are counting calories, but you are pretty much just using your body as the calculator. You are using how much you eat minus daily activity, and using weight loss or gain as a result which is the same exact thing, just no numbers involved. Some people are better at listening to what there body is tellling them than others are. So some of us need to see that number on paper to do it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    True....but by eating more whole foods, you can avoid this.

This is why I weigh and measure everything. Estimation will get you nowhere.

True, but there are tools that can help. When I tracked exercise calories, I used a heart-rate-monitor. A Fitbit or BodyMediaFit would also help.

That's why averages are important.

Which is why it's often recommended that you take a week or two off now and then. Or at least have cheat days. A lot of people are very successful this way. Also, TDEE-20% is much better to combat this issue than VLCD.

Which is why you should find the macro ratio that works for you and your needs.

I find it very sustainable and plan on counting for a very long time. It takes me 5 minutes per day. The author suggests that I should want "all that time back". I find that I'm happy to give up 5 minutes a day if it helps keep me fit, lean and happy with my body. Surely I'm worth 5 minutes?

That's why I don't eat low calorie. I eat less than I need.

Gary Taubes. Enough said.

+2
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Not counting calories while trying to lose weight makes as much sense as not balancing my checkbook while trying to stick to a budget.