Advice needed - take a look at my diary

Options
Hi everyone,

I am trying to get this 10 pounds off of me, and I'm having a really hard time. I think I eat relatively healthy (except weekends, but I'm still staying within my calories). I exercise regularly. I run, box, cross fit, and yoga. I took a little over a month off back in April/May due to a shoulder injury and a lot of work travel, and I gained five pounds.

I've been consistent for a month with tracking and workouts, and I haven't seen any change on the scale, and it's depressing me.

I leave for Maui in 6 weeks.

I'd love some advice from fellow MFP'ers!

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    First thing that jumps out is you logging almost 400 calories for 45 minutes of "circuit training." What do you do during those 45 minutes?

I also see some days with incomplete logs.

Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Bread: try dropping bread and all spreads. I'd suggest oatmeal (I eat cooked Rolled Oats -- Old fashioned oat meal -- with whole bran (1/4cup), some granola (1/4c-1/3c), chia seeds (1 scoop), honey 3/4TBS and cinnamon.

Lunch: try whole grains again -- maybe 1 cup of whole grain brown rice or whole grain mixed rice and quinoa

Oil: try getting some of your fats with Olive Oil -- it's been shown that women who eat olive oil daily tend to be lighter.

Calories: try to NOT eat less then your goal daily and set your goal reasonably (perhaps 1lb/week) then do extra cardio to work off any extra cals you might want to eat but only eat back about 50% of earned.
  • steph268
    steph268 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I log 386 for circuit training it's for a crossfit workout that incorporates a lot of running. Even if MFP says I burned a huge amount of calories, I still keep my calories at 1500.

I didn't log last thursday - went to the fair (actually didn't eat anything crazy, but just didn't log), and I'm really working on keeping weekends in track.

I did just purchase a scale, and am getting into the habit of weighing my food.

I do think dropping the bread is a good option for me.. sigh...
  • jonnythan
    Options
    When I log 386 for circuit training it's for a crossfit workout that incorporates a lot of running. Even if MFP says I burned a huge amount of calories, I still keep my calories at 1500.

I didn't log last thursday - went to the fair (actually didn't eat anything crazy, but just didn't log), and I'm really working on keeping weekends in track.

I did just purchase a scale, and am getting into the habit of weighing my food.

I do think dropping the bread is a good option for me.. sigh...

Dropping bread is nonsensical. Calories in and calories out are what matter for weight loss.

Anyway, I see less than a month of logging here. It's normal to gain a bit of water weight when you get back into exercising, as the tissues become damaged and retain water for repair.

Use the food scale religiously to weigh any non-liquid food. Other than that, it looks pretty good. Stick with it and see how it goes in another month.

What's your height/weight/age?
  • steph268
    Options
    Okay - will do.

I'm 40 and I'm 5'3 and 3/4 and I'm weighing between 140 and 142
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    weigh everything on a scale... except for your body. Use a tape measure for that.

I suggest using the TDEE -10-15% method if you are not using it already. use your activity level and you don't have to worry about logging or eating back exercise, it figures it into your daily allowance.

those last 10 pounds are slower, and need to be. keeps things real and sustainable.

be consistent and trust the method.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Okay - will do.

I'm 40 and I'm 5'3 and 3/4 and I'm weighing between 140 and 142

Your goals seem pretty appropriate then. Just stick with it.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options

Dropping bread is nonsensical. Calories in and calories out are what matter for weight loss.

Nonsense.

In the last 7-8 months I have noticed a trend and while I LOVE bread and I make it myself (often with home milled flour so it's the very best) I ALWAYS see poorer weight loss or even reversal whenever I eat bread EVEN small amounts that are WELL within my caloric intake range.

This week is a good example: down to 230.8, make two loaves of bread, eat some at dinner, get up at 231.8.

It makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE to me at all that bread could do this and I've fought with this EVERY TIME I have eaten it but in the end, for whatever reason whenever I eat bread I struggle but when I don't eat bread I have the very best weight loss.

I've lost 3-5 lbs on weeks I do not eat bread and either only lost 1/2-1lbs on weeks I do or GAINED.

Sadly, while this does not make sense to me I've come to accept that bread calories are either underestimated or they are somehow my weightloss bane. Either way, I recommend trying to lay off the bread (specially if you buy it) and trying something else for a while. After all, it can't hurt.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Nonsense.

In the last 7-8 months I have noticed a trend and while I LOVE bread and I make it myself (often with home milled flour so it's the very best) I ALWAYS see poorer weight loss or even reversal whenever I eat bread EVEN small amounts that are WELL within my caloric intake range.

This week is a good example: down to 230.8, make two loaves of bread, eat some at dinner, get up at 231.8.

It makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE to me at all that bread could do this and I've fought with this EVERY TIME I have eaten it but in the end, for whatever reason whenever I eat bread I struggle but when I don't eat bread I have the very best weight loss.

I've lost 3-5 lbs on weeks I do not eat bread and either only lost 1/2-1lbs on weeks I do or GAINED.

Sadly, while this does not make sense to me I've come to accept that bread calories are either underestimated or they are somehow my weightloss bane. Either way, I recommend trying to lay off the bread (specially if you buy it) and trying something else for a while. After all, it can't hurt.

Whatever your personal experience or whatever, there is absolutely zero basis for the claim. There is no plausible mechanism for it either. There's something else going on to explain whatever your experience has been. Replacing bread calories with some other calories won't help the OP.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options

Whatever your personal experience or whatever, there is absolutely zero basis for the claim. There is no plausible mechanism for it either. There's something else going on to explain whatever your experience has been. Replacing bread calories with some other calories won't help the OP.

I can't argue with this really -- it's just that I've found when I eat bread it has the above affect.

But then I also find the science doesn't seem to always work -- perhaps it's not the science but the data. Either way, I've lost more weight when not eating bread over the last 8 months so I'll stick with that belief :) If I am wrong no harm no foul.

If I'm right I'll be lighter next month! lol
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I would be miserable at such a low calorie goal. Check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less and learn about BMR and TDEE.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    your diet seems a little tooo good lol maybe 1200 cal is too low and maybe have a cheat meal here and there.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Maybe lay off the alcohol until you get to Hawaii.
  • steph268
    Options
    Alcohol, I admit, is my biggest obstacle. This past weekend though was the first time in a month that I really indulged. The most I had let myself have was a glass of wine on the weekend.

I'm interested in learning more about this TDEE, so I'm going to join this group. It's just so frustrating. I do think I eat a healthy diet. I like to eat healthy, but I think I have no metabolism, and I like beer and wine a little to much.

I do appreciate all your responses. It seems like I should just keep on doing what I'm doing, and look more into this TDEE.