why does it change?? anyone?

Options
Hi i am new to this board and trying to figure things out still...looking back i notice that my daily goals change daily and range from about 1300 to 1900 for caloric intake. I am also nursing exclusivly and finding i am still hungry. is there a way to add that so that i keep my daily goals around 1500 - 1600?
thanks in advance!!

Replies

• FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If you are nursing and finding yourself hungry, you will need more calories in order to function. i don't know exactly how many, but some other moms on her might be able to help you out.
    Also, your caloric intake shouldn't change un less you are tracking your calories burned through exercise, then you are allowed more calories and should eat them!
  • brendan05
    Options
    thanks! i figured out how to change my daily goals to allow for nursing i am allowing myself about 1500!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that your starting at 1300 cals. When you exercise you earn calories. So, if you exercised 600 cals. you would earn 1900 cals. for the day.
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    the daily goal changes whenever you log exercise. Anytime you log your exercise, MFP allows for you to eat those calories back if you'd like. For example, my daily goal is 1200, if I log in 300 calories burned then my daily goal becomes 1500. make sense?
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Hiyas Brendan05 :smile:

If you're nursing exclusively, you'll want to ADD in at LEAST 500 cals on a daily basis to your MFP recommended daily calories (which will NEVER go under 1200 calories, no matter how much you have to lose, and with 21 lbs to go, you really don't have a "lot" to lose, even though it might feel otherwise!)

That means a typical nursing mommy should not eat less than 1700 calories per day, or you risk losing your milk supply. That figure could even be too low - make sure you discuss it with your ob/gyn and your pediatrician, they'll be able to give you a more exact figure that will work best for you and your little one. Sometimes you have to play around with the amount a little. Make sure you're drinking a lot, that helps too!

When I was nursing, I just added in a daily "cardio exercise" at 500 calories - every single day. Try to make it healthy food, not candy, chips, cake, etc.... and you'll still lose, while maintaining the ability to provide for your baby. I went for a lot of protein and high-quality carbs, veggies, etc.

Congratulations on getting healthy, while still providing your baby with the best nutrition you can possibly provide!!!

:smile: :flowerforyou:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    addition: Yes, as stated above, by all means, EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!!!! This is particularly important while you're breastfeeding, as NOT eating them can quickly put your body into a deficiency.

Example: 1200 "recommended" calories by MFP (plug your number in here, it may be higher but not lower than 1200 cals/day)
    500 calories for nursing
    300 calories burned by exercising

That day, you should eat a total of 2,000 calories. Make sense? In my educated opinion, 1500 calories is WAY too low to support exclusive breastfeeding for your little one.
  • brendan05
    Options
    thanks everyone...i upped my intake to 1800 and i am counting nursing in my excercise and burn another 500 cals!
    so a little playing around and asking is helping! thanks again!