Can't get off plateau :(

Janey142
Janey142 Posts: 50 Member
Hiya i've been in an annoying plateau for weeks. i've changed my rfitness routine, cut cals added cals and I cannot shift :( I have been here before and drowned my sorrows in chocolate and just gained again. I will NOT do it this time but after all the advice I have read I still can't shake things up enough to lose the weight. It seems my body makes me really extra hungry at this weight too.

I'm 5"2 8st 10 and have 5 pounds more to lose

Replies

• lizardcave
    lizardcave Posts: 42 Member
    Do you weigh your food and accurately track your calories?
  • Janey142
    Yes i'm really strict with it and have seen nothing but progress until now :(
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Ugh I'm stuck too so not much to suggest I'm afraid. Do you do strength training as well as cardio? I'm trying to do more strength in the hope that added muscle will eventually lead to my body burning fat for longer than cardio does
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Uhg! Me to. Been like this for almost 3 weeks, tried more cardio, more weights, more cals, less cals..
  • Janey142
    It's really demotivating. I appreciate you guys replying even just to say your in the same boat. I'm sorry that you are in the same boat but im glad i'm not alone. Let me know how you guys get on in the next few weeks? :)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    last 5 pounds are the hardest to lose and in my experience, it really comes down to diet. you have to be near perfect with your diet or the weight won't come off. you may also need to experiment with food groups, i can't lose "the last 5" as long as i'm still eating wheat. i have to cut it out entirely to lose that weight. alcohol is another one for me that seems to prevent me from losing.

another thing to remember, you can't out-exercise a bad diet. so every time you have one of those chocolate binges, you are setting yourself back more than just 400 cals or whatever.

try to eat more veggies, drink more water, and go at least a week without processed foods if you can. also if you've been exercising really hard for several weeks, don't be afraid to take a rest day. sometimes when we are overstressing our bodies with too much exercise it makes it hard to lose.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Hiya i've been in an annoying plateau for weeks. i've changed my rfitness routine, cut cals added cals and I cannot shift :( I have been here before and drowned my sorrows in chocolate and just gained again. I will NOT do it this time but after all the advice I have read I still can't shake things up enough to lose the weight. It seems my body makes me really extra hungry at this weight too.

Maybe stick with something for more than a few weeks, because a few weeks is not that long in the grand scheme of things.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    It's really demotivating. I appreciate you guys replying even just to say your in the same boat. I'm sorry that you are in the same boat but im glad i'm not alone. Let me know how you guys get on in the next few weeks? :)

I'm seeing my nutritionist on Thursday for the first time in 2 months to get some ideas.. ill inbox you what she suggest if you would like :-)
  • jenniferwoodweeg
    jenniferwoodweeg Posts: 45 Member
    I only have 5 more pounds until I reach my goal as well. Everyone seems to tell me strength training is the answer. I have not reached a plateau (yet)-will weigh in on Thur so will see. But, I am not counting on a measly 5 pounds to make me perfect either because I have shed 9 so far and only see a small difference in way clothes fit but, no huge progress on my body toning up. So, starting to lift more and use heavier weights.
  • catbyrd
    catbyrd Posts: 87 Member
    Don't give up. I have been stuck on a plateau for the last 2 months and finally this morning I showed a wait loss of .4lbs. I was so excited you would have thought that I had just started my diet.

I upped my exercise and added more vegetables to my diet. I don't know if that helped or not, or if my body just decided to be nice:)

Everyone hang in there, we can make it:happy:
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    I'm soooo glad it's not just me, I've been stuck for ages and no matter what I do I'm still sitting on the same pound.

BUT- I'm not letting it get to me, in the past I'd have regained it all and more, but not this time.

Patience is a virtue, so they say ....... :sad:
  • jenniferwoodweeg
    jenniferwoodweeg Posts: 45 Member

Maybe stick with something for more than a few weeks, because a few weeks is not that long in the grand scheme of things.
    t
    Totally agree. Only been two months for me. Surely takes more than that to change a lifetime of no exercise for me!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    I was told by someone that when you get down to the last 10 lbs, you need to just forget about losing weight and stick to the program because it will take a loooooong time.

I pretty much agree with that. Getting below 19% body fat has been an epic battle for me.
  • Janey142

I'm seeing my nutritionist on Thursday for the first time in 2 months to get some ideas.. ill inbox you what she suggest if you would like :-)

Thank would be fantastic thanks so much :)
  • truppcl
    truppcl Posts: 2
    Have you tried something like switching to super low carb?? I personally don't think that's a good option long term but for short term "shake-ups" I've seen that work really well for other people. I feel your pain, I'm there right now too but mind is prednisone induced. =/ GOOD LUCK!!
  • Janey142
    last 5 pounds are the hardest to lose and in my experience, it really comes down to diet. you have to be near perfect with your diet or the weight won't come off. you may also need to experiment with food groups, i can't lose "the last 5" as long as i'm still eating wheat. i have to cut it out entirely to lose that weight. alcohol is another one for me that seems to prevent me from losing.

another thing to remember, you can't out-exercise a bad diet. so every time you have one of those chocolate binges, you are setting yourself back more than just 400 cals or whatever.

try to eat more veggies, drink more water, and go at least a week without processed foods if you can. also if you've been exercising really hard for several weeks, don't be afraid to take a rest day. sometimes when we are overstressing our bodies with too much exercise it makes it hard to lose.

Good point :) i'll try change about my diet a bit.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Uhg! Me to. Been like this for almost 3 weeks, tried more cardio, more weights, more cals, less cals..

Fluctuating your calories will take a lot longer than 3 weeks for your body to adjust to. 3 weeks isn't a plateau. Just wait a little bit, and it'll move again. Any time you make an adjustment to your calorie intake you need to give your body a couple of weeks to adjust. Definitely stick with it for a while longer!! It'll come off! :) I'm going on 8 weeks with no loss..now that's a plateau. Lol ugh
  • Janey142
    Have you tried something like switching to super low carb?? I personally don't think that's a good option long term but for short term "shake-ups" I've seen that work really well for other people. I feel your pain, I'm there right now too but mind is prednisone induced. =/ GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks I might do that for a shake up!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member

^^^This. Most dietitians or physical trainers will suggest that you stick with a program at least 4-6 weeks to notice any improvements. Also I'd like to add that if you're that close to your "goal weight" maybe take into account other accomplishments; clothing fit, inches, body fat, etc. I've learn to let the scale say what it wants as long as I am making healthy choices. I have had the most success combining strength training and cardio. I try to eat a good balance of protein, carbs & fat.
  • RelativeChaos00
    RelativeChaos00 Posts: 33 Member
    I know you said you've changed up your fitness routine already, and I know this sounds counterproductive, but have you tried a little time off? By a little time off I mean stick with your diet but take a week or so out of the gym. It allows your body to decondition a little bit and when you jump back on the exercise it feels newer to your body again. I know, sounds odd, but it's coming from the NASM's portion of the Weight Loss Specialization on breaking plateaus, not just bro science. Good luck honey, I hope you find something that kick starts your losses again!!