How to stop eating all the time!

Options
I can get try and get to see a therapist, but the waiting list is ridiculously long.

Doesn't matter what I do to distract myself, it's foodfoodfood on the mind.

It's like bulimia without the throwing up!

Help...

Replies

• SweetE1983
    SweetE1983 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I read a tip yesterday that you should eat at the same time everyday so that way you can say to yourself I can have the food but just have to wait for 'x' o/clock.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I can't survive on three meals a day and so I snack all day long.
    As long as I limit the portions and stay within my calorie limit for the day it's all good.
    You can look back through my open food diary and see how my snack calories normally are always way higher than any "meal" I eat. Plus my lunch is normally made up of several items which I space out over time, I don't sit down and eat lunch as a meal.
  • jenhanke
    jenhanke Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have had this exact problem for as long as I can remember. I finally did start seeing a therapist. I was brutally honest from day 1 about the food issues, family issues, self-esteem, marriage, career, EVERYTHING. And now, suddenly I don't constantly think about food! I don't binge anymore! I'm not saying I'm never bad (I had a gigantic Mexican lunch yesterday) but it's not my #1 priority anymore (for example, that's the last thing I ate yesterday, because I was so completely full). I started looking at the reasons why I was always thinking about food and eating impulsively. It is a long process but it's SO worth it. Also... do you have insurance? If so, you might have more counseling options than you think. I found one that had no waiting list at all, and it turns out I love her. GOOD LUCK! You can overcome!!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Some people find that fasting helps with control. You don't even have to fast all day, just allow yourself a window of time (3 - 4 hours) everyday when you are allowed to eat.

Just like any addiction, when you think about eating, do something else. Something that will take you away from where the food is. Go for a walk, or a bike ride. Read a book. Brush your teeth. Take a shower. Whatever takes your mind off it.,
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    As long as I limit the portions and stay within my calorie limit for the day it's all good.
    You can look back through my open food diary and see how my snack calories normally are always way higher than any "meal" I eat. Plus my lunch is normally made up of several items which I space out over time, I don't sit down and eat lunch as a meal.

THIS. I eat every two to three hours, especially on the weekdays when I'm at work and I have lots of slow times.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    What helped for me was trying to think of how i could eat 20 different fruit and veg in a week. That way instead of obsessing over what i shouldn't be eating, it became how can i eat some peas etc.
    Also preplanning/ logging helps.
    If i know when myy next scheduled feed is i don't. Think about it as much.
    Also brush teeth, mints and peppermint tea keep the mouth/ hands busy.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    See, and I do so much better when I don't snack and miss breakfast most mornings. Then you can eat a very satisfying lunch/dinner and maybe a little square of dark chocolate and be done with.

To the OP, I don't know specifically what's going on, but have you tried increasing protein/fat? Sometimes that can help.

Otherwise, try to do something else when you get hungry, like go for a walk. And get the junky foods out of the line of site. I'm sure there are other tricks.

Good luck!!!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    No easy answer here, as there are lots of things that can go into that.

Are you eating ENOUGH food every day? Getting enough sleep? Emotionally healthy? What kinds of things are you eating when you do eat?

You may hear some more people from the intermittent fasting crowd chime in. I've personally adjusted to an 8 hour eating window.

Your eating schedule can have something to do with when you "feel" hungry. This may be simplistic, but if you eat at 9, 11, 1, and 3 every day, you essentially train your body to be "hungry" then. I believe grehlin is the hormone responsible for this.

And there is the old-fashioned advice... just don't. Run away from the fridge if you have to.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Eating is part of life. Make better choices. Eat more veggies and fruit. Give up garbage like fast food, processed foods and soda. Start there. I feel the urge to binge when I don't eat enough. Check out the group Eat More To Weigh Less and learn about TDEE and BMR.
  • WestCoastWild
    WestCoastWild Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Was there a time in your life when this wasn't an issue? What do you think the difference was, and how can you work to get back to that mentality? I've never had a problem with weight, until a couple of years ago. It was an obvious transition, and now my flexible and pretty open schedule makes it really hard to get food off my mind (since technically I could go eat whatever whenever). I just try to stay busy, and when I start getting food obsessed I go outside for ten min before I allow myself to eat anything. I know it sounds silly, but it works pretty well for some reason.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Get into your car and drive to the middle of nowhere. Try to go at least an hour or two out of town. Do not bring any food. Bring some water or other calorie free drink. Once you reach the middle of nowhere (desert, mountains, plains, whatever), park your car and enjoy the scenery. Walk around a bit and appreciate the wilderness. Stay an hour or two, take some photos and enjoy your time there.

Then simply get in your car and drive home. Try to resist stopping for food on the way home, just drive straight there. Eat a meal once you get home.

The point of this exercise is to prove to yourself that you can go without food for many hours in a row. Since you have no food with you, you don't have to obsess about not eating it. If the thought of doing this exercise scares the hell out of you, you may have a phobia or compulsion. It will take professional help to get over a phobia or compulsion.

Regardless, you should still make an appointment to see a therapist. Even if you have to wait a long time, what else are you going to do? If you manage to overcome your struggle between then and now, you can always cancel your appointment.
  • Woodsmoke
    Woodsmoke Posts: 360 Member
    Options

This sounds like the best idea for me personally.... Many thanks!

(For the record, I live in the UK... so no need for insurance)

I know. I live in the nanny state. ;)

Thanks for all the tips!
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I read a tip yesterday that you should eat at the same time everyday so that way you can say to yourself I can have the food but just have to wait for 'x' o/clock.

This seems to be what I do - it totally works for me. In the afternoon, I pair this with distraction. Sometimes I will remind myself all afternoon that I can snack at 3:30 - then 3:30 rolls around and I either forget all about it or I'm not interested in snacking after all.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I found that taking my calories and dividing them into 4 to 5 small meals a day, with a larger evening meal, helps me a lot!! Try to eat every 3 hours or so. You will find that it is much easier to know that you will eat again in a short amount of time.

The only time I have a problem, is when I am at work, as I often don't have enough time to eat. For the most part though, I am never hungry and always feel satisfied as I am eating often.