Starting Fresh- with low potassium and protein

Options
Hi, my name is Jamie and I am from Michigan. My husband has given me such strength to start taking care of myself. He is so strong and has the strongest will power. He has decided to go ahead and get bariatric surgery and I was seriously considering it as well. However, I am having second thoughts and I felt bad for not being his "get fit" partner because we were going to do the surgery thing together. He told me that I shouldn't be doing the surgery for him but for me. He has encouraged me to use this site and I really love it.

So for all of you out there, I need a way to boost my potassium and protein without a ton of calories.... any ideas???

Replies

• Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Coconut water and protein whey smoothie.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It's tough to know where you are on potassium because so many foods don't include it in the nutrition info. Have you had a blood test that indicates a low potassium level or something? Why are you tracking it?

As for protein, eat meat and protein shakes.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    For extra potassium I drink low sodium V8 juice. Potassium 1,180. Calories 70. In an 11.5 ounce size.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast is almost pure protein, as well as whey protein.
  • BHKLEIN
    BHKLEIN Posts: 104
    Options
    Eat all your foods fresh!!!! Do not anything pre-packaged or processed. Fresh/frozen veggies are a must if you are trying to eat low potassium. Fresh/lean meats. Eat small portions like 1 oz chicken, 1/4 c cottage cheese. Use fresh herbs to season foods instead of salt. Fresh herbs will make your food taste really good and you won't miss the prepackaged foods as much! Choose sea salt over regular processed table salt. Sea salt tasted great and you need must less to get the same taste. If you can find all natural sea salt even better (sometimes it's grey looking). Low potassium fruits include apples, lemons, tangerines, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, grapes, peaches, pears and mango. Low-potassium vegetables include sprouts, canned beets, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, corn, cucumber, endive, eggplant, green beans, lettuce, mushrooms, onions and radishes. Eat more lean meats, eggs and beans. Cold-water fish is another good source of protein that is low in potassium. Cheddar, mozzarella, feta and American cheeses are also relatively low in potassium. Eat whole grains. You have lots of options and plenty of really yummy things to eat.