Should I be this depressed?

TdaniT
TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
I weighed in Saturday the 29th of June. I weigh in and record my weight each Saturday morning. This past Saturday I was not at home. I took a mini vacation with my family from Thursday - Sunday. I weighed myself this morning expecting to see a 1-3lb weight gain. But it said I am 7 pounds heavier than I was on the 29th!!! How can I gain 7 pounds in four days?! I know that indulged and I expected a weight gain, but 7 pounds! Really?

Replies

• geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    It's not possible to gain fat that fast. You probably overdid the salt and didn't drink enough water to flush it out. It's likely just water weight. Check yourself next week and don't panic.
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    definitely don't panic! Eat as well as you can (very little sugar) and just weigh yourself on Saturday. :)
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Did you eat 24,500 calories more than maintenance during your mini vacation? If not, rest assured most of it is probably just normal water fluctuation! Don't stress over it.
  • TdaniT
    I am trying hard not to panic however unfortunately I actually have a panic disorder. Smh I am also very hard on myself. Knowing this about me I should handle this better. Sadly I am not. Ok so I am going to get back on track and weigh again on Sunday. Here's hoping I am back down by then. Is it really possible to have that much water weight? Usually I fluctuate between 1-2 pounds due to water. Ugh I hate this!
  • TdaniT
    Did you eat 24,500 calories more than maintenance during your mini vacation? If not, rest assured most of it is probably just normal water fluctuation! Don't stress over it.

I honestly don't know because I haven't tracked in a month. I am trying to apply what I have learned so I do not have to be tied to tracking for the rest of my life. I made the mistake of letting myself indulge and I am paying the price. :(
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    It's not possible to gain fat that fast. You probably overdid the salt and didn't drink enough water to flush it out. It's likely just water weight. Check yourself next week and don't panic.

DITTO!
  • lovenhatelife
    lovenhatelife Posts: 8 Member
    I totally understand how you feel. Last week, July 2-July 5th I went on vacation with my husband. When I came home, I weighed myself to find out I gained 4lbs in a week. I didn't keep track of my cals. We cooked all our food and took it with us. So in general I was eating the same food as if I was at home. But I didn't take any kind of healthy snacks. So if I got snack hungry, I had a sandwhich or hotdog which isn't good. Also doesn't help, we bought fudge, but I didn't eat much of it. After seeing I gained 4lbs, I was a tad bit cranky/depressed for the day. But today is a new day and I worked my butt off this morning.
  • It's not possible to gain fat that fast. You probably overdid the salt and didn't drink enough water to flush it out. It's likely just water weight. Check yourself next week and don't panic.

DITTO!

This is right ^ Happens to me every week or 2 when I have a cheat meal. Don't panic, it's water weight I swear! One morning the scale showed I had gained 10 lbs over the weekend... then I went for a run and I was 6lbs lighter after sweating my *kitten* off haha. Point is consuming a lot more salt then you normally would (I.E. a tasty cheat meal) you're body will hold on to more water.

Don't ever be too hard on yourself though, you are all you have! Tomorrow is a new day, don't let one meal or binge destroy your goals.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    I have had to change from weighing once a week, to every two weeks. I work 3 12 hour night shifts, have two days off, which is where my weigh day lands, work three more 12 hour night shifts and am then off for 6 days. I am always several pounds heavier after working, from holding fluids etc., then I am the following 'off' week.

I was getting upset, but knew I wasn't actually gaining weight, as often my calories while working were extra low, no time to eat. Anyway, try not to panic, because different food, more sodium from eating out, will easily look like a gain, but it is temporary!!

Drink extra water and you will be back down many of those pounds very shortly!! Hope you had a nice vacation.
  • TdaniT
    I have had to change from weighing once a week, to every two weeks. I work 3 12 hour night shifts, have two days off, which is where my weigh day lands, work three more 12 hour night shifts and am then off for 6 days. I am always several pounds heavier after working, from holding fluids etc., then I am the following 'off' week.

I was getting upset, but knew I wasn't actually gaining weight, as often my calories while working were extra low, no time to eat. Anyway, try not to panic, because different food, more sodium from eating out, will easily look like a gain, but it is temporary!!

Drink extra water and you will be back down many of those pounds very shortly!! Hope you had a nice vacation.

Thank you. It was a nice vacation.
  • TdaniT
    I totally understand how you feel. Last week, July 2-July 5th I went on vacation with my husband. When I came home, I weighed myself to find out I gained 4lbs in a week. I didn't keep track of my cals. We cooked all our food and took it with us. So in general I was eating the same food as if I was at home. But I didn't take any kind of healthy snacks. So if I got snack hungry, I had a sandwhich or hotdog which isn't good. Also doesn't help, we bought fudge, but I didn't eat much of it. After seeing I gained 4lbs, I was a tad bit cranky/depressed for the day. But today is a new day and I worked my butt off this morning.

Part of my guilt is because I know that I made poor choices. And unfortunately it wasn't a cheat meal but a cheat vacation. Learned my lesson. :(
  • TdaniT

DITTO!

This is right ^ Happens to me every week or 2 when I have a cheat meal. Don't panic, it's water weight I swear! One morning the scale showed I had gained 10 lbs over the weekend... then I went for a run and I was 6lbs lighter after sweating my *kitten* off haha. Point is consuming a lot more salt then you normally would (I.E. a tasty cheat meal) you're body will hold on to more water.

Don't ever be too hard on yourself though, you are all you have! Tomorrow is a new day, don't let one meal or binge destroy your goals.

Darn, I went for a run tonight and I was up another pound!
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    omg, this same thing happened to me over the last week. between 4th of July bbq's and a camping trip that same week, I ate a ton, and drank way too much beer and soda. End result - 7 pound weight gain! :noway:

i kinda wanted to panic too, but its gotta just be water weight. now i just gotta sweat it all out, haha
  • definately water weight.....flush your system out....drinks more water ....green tea.....and even try warm water with lemon squeezed in it...also hate to ask this, but women and our cycles....you can see increasing weight when mother nature pays you a visit....Dont fret, you will be back to your usual self in no time. Keep smiling :)
  • TdaniT
    Thank you so much everyone for all of the encouragement! You are all helping me to cope with this!