What Bad Habits Have You Kicked?

Options
Mine:

*Eating a snack (or fast food meal) on the way home from work because I was too hungry to wait until supper...and then still eating a full supper.
*Eating the lunch I brought to work, and then going out for more lunch (usually fast food) because what I brought didnt seem like enough.

GLAD to say I have not done either of those things since getting back to MFP after the birth of my son and I hope I can continue making better choices!!

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've actually kicked anything but things I've been doing oodles better at...

1. Being more careful in both they types of snacks I decide to eat and deciding if I'm actually hungry and want a snack.
    2. Getting off my *kitten* and moving.
    3. Planning more well rounded, nutritionally balanced meals.

I still struggle with my sweet tooth, I fear that'll be a life long struggle.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I am making a sandwich, I don't feel the need to eat a ton of pieces of lunch meat before eating the sandwich. Also, I don't feel the need to go back for seconds or over-eat.
  • jnwigwe
    jnwigwe Posts: 4
    Options
    I Haven't necessarily kicked any bad habits, but I look at it as starting new habits. I decided to start a new habit every three weeks. I began with food tracking and then moved on to exercising M/T & Th/Fr/Sat. My new habit is not going back to sleep after the alarm goes off. I'm still working on it, but on the days that it works, I find that I am able to have breakfast at home rather than buying at work. Or I may get up and do morning yoga. I'm by no means perfect, but I hope that at the end of 3 weeks, it'll be ingrained (and maybe i'll have saved a little bit of money too). Who knows?!
  • RebeccaSarah16
    Options
    I stopped eating calorie and sugar filled cereal bars every morning for breakfast!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Smoking and not eating breakfast. Those were my two worst.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    smoking, not eating breakfast like ^^^, overconsumption of bread and white rice.
  • michybeans
    michybeans Posts: 106
    Options
    1. Quit smoking. (6 months as of Thursday, yay!)
    2. Planning out my food for the day.
    3. Exercising more.
    4. Cutting out junk food (for the most part. I still have it when I crave it but I used to eat a chocolate bar like every day... not good!)
  • DoctorCheeba
    Options
    One of the worst habits I kicked was take-out food... Now I cook myself almost every meal I eat, but a few years ago I didn't know how to cook a lot and I'd order in dinner sometimes 5-6 days a week. It got to the point where I was getting sick of the take-out menus in my area and had ordered almost EVERYTHING off them... I don't even know this person now haha.
  • sealevels
    sealevels Posts: 123
    Options
    I almost completely cut out soda a few years back. I used to drink it everyday...now I'll have it a few times a year.

I cut down on portions for breakfast and upped portions for lunch, when I get very hungry. I now eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm satisfied. No more binge eating.

If I'm stressed out, I workout or listen to music...I don't eat.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    1. Quit smoking. (6 months as of Thursday, yay!)
    2. Planning out my food for the day.
    3. Exercising more.
    4. Cutting out junk food (for the most part. I still have it when I crave it but I used to eat a chocolate bar like every day... not good!)

Me too! and congratulations on quitting smoking... I'm 4 years and never missed that nasty smell ;-)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My habits come and go, but I've changed my attitude overall. I used to think that I had certain limitations because I felt lightheaded or because my foot hurt. It turns out that there were some lifestyle changes that could ease those problems and I have a lot more control over my life than I previously thought.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    When I'm full, I stop eating. It sounds absolutely ridiculous, but coming from a family who chastised me for not finishing my plate, (with food piled on it to the max) it used to be hard for me to kick the habit of overeating. I think I have improved significantly, but there is always room for improvement
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    1. I still drink beer
    2. I still drink whiskey
    3. I still scratch
    4. I still walk around in my boxers
    5. I still eat ice cream
    6. I still snack late at night
    7. I still order out for pizza
    8. I still forget to shave on weekends
    9. I still eat pancakes

So . . . pretty much nothing
  • tiffanyraylene
    tiffanyraylene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Eating half a package of oreos in one sitting. HA. Sad thing is I'm serious. something like 190 cals in two double stuff oreos. UGH!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Celebrating with food! and that was pastries type of food.
  • Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    WTG!

I've pretty much given up Pepsi. Will have one occasionally but not 2-3 a day like I used to.
    I've cut out white carbs and switched to whole wheat.
    I've cut out a lot of processed foods and have started cooking from scratch more.
    I've cut out snacks like hoho's and cookies. I snack on fruit and healthier stuff now. Though I still enjoy a small bowl of ice cream or frozen yogurt now and then.
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Soda. And I love Mountain Dew! But I haven't had any for 3 months. Don't miss it.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Large chocolate shake from Jack in the Box. 1400 cals and delicious. But those cals just kill.

Now I have yogurt at 225 cals for 8 oz. Or a DQ ice cream cone if I am close to one. But no more 1400 cal Chocolate shakes.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Don't know how bad it was,but I no longer eat bread & butter with a meal.Gave up soda,tho can't say I ever drank much of it.One sandwich does me for lunch,with a lot of lettuce.
    Evening snacks are measured,along with chips etc .
    My biggest habit that usually derailed attempts to lose weight was buying extras for my husband,things like bakery goods etc.Now I haven't been in a bakery in months.
  • Kai81109
    Kai81109 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking, smoking, eating fast food, soda, chips, baked goods and i think thats about it