New Doctor=New weight loss strategy?!?!?!

Options
OK,

So I went to the doctor today. THis is a brand new doctor (My old dr was just too hard to get in touch with and it was impossible to make an appointment) I discussed several issues that I have been having including my weight loss plateau. He told me that my old dr gave me restrictions that were too low for someone my age, body frame, and activity level. He told me that I need to be eating anywhere between 14-1500 cals a day and exercising at mininum 30 minutes a day 5 day a week.

OK....SO my first dr told me 1230 cals a day and exercising 20 minutes a day for 3 days a week. What's a girl to day?!!

My new dr says that my body is not getting the amount of good fat, vitamins, etc that it needs with only 1230 a day, but I was losing soo well on the 1230 a day that I am afraid that if I up the cals, I will start to gain. Suggestions?

What do you all think? Am I over reacting?

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    That's confusing to me because it seems like y ou would be at a really similar calorie deficit regardless of the plan. On the 1230 plan you are eating less calories and exercising less, while on the 14-1500 calorie a day plan you are eating more but working out a little more.....I'm not sure which is going to solve your plateau...maybe try zigzagging your calories?
  • antiadipose
    Options
    i say go with what the new dr says. 1200 is hardly anything. itll just slow down ur metabolism. anytime i was in a plateau, i ate more, upped my cals and my exercise. that does it =]
  • dawnsant
    dawnsant Posts: 44
    Options
    I say go with the new doctor. I understand what you are saying. I eat only 1,200 calories a day and if I am lucky I drop one pound a week! That is with my working out! So, I too am scared to increase the calorie intake. Good luck. Try what the new doctor says and let me know how it goes!
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue a couple weeks ago. I was gaining weight!! I looked closely at what I was eating... I was only intaking 1200 calories and burning 300-500 calories a day. So... decided to up my calories to 1400-1500... and starting losing weight again. Now I still have days when I only eat 1200... but overall, giving my body the fuel to burn seems to have helped - at least for now! :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    WTH, give the new guy a shot. If you have been at the 1200 a while then your body is ready for a shake up. Give the higher cals a chance for a couple weeks, you can always go back down.
  • Certified_Femail
    Certified_Femail Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am new and been logging in for a week. my cal intake says 1340 but thats with no excersice due to injury at the moment healing from it. My problem is the sugars i am having a hard time keep them low. I am eating less then the 1340 because i keep hitting the sugars to high. So i guess in my mind im thinking over on sugars then its ok to be lower on cals. I am going to try to balance out the sugars as the days go on but its kinda sad that a apple a day is suppose to keep the dr away but its boosting my sugars lol. If i get a low carb burger at Carls jr with no mayo but end up putting more catsup on it then the sugars are high so maybe i should try keeping the mayo and less catsup lol.....o im soooo confused lol.....any suggestions:ohwell:
    27 sugars is all it says i get per day is that correct amount
  • crazybxrmom
    crazybxrmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That's confusing to me because it seems like y ou would be at a really similar calorie deficit regardless of the plan. On the 1230 plan you are eating less calories and exercising less, while on the 14-1500 calorie a day plan you are eating more but working out a little more.....I'm not sure which is going to solve your plateau...maybe try zigzagging your calories?
    I too would agree the calorie deficit would be pretty close, but with more calories you will be getting better nutrition. If you ahve been staying the same on the scale then you ahve nothing but more pounds to lose by trying this. If you increase calories and exercise then the worst that happens is you break even and nothing changes. The best that can happen is you start losing again.

Either way I vote go with the new doctors suggestion.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Keeping the sugars low is definitely hard work!! But you can do it. Make one adjustment at a time... I noticed a difference once I started doing that just one week ago!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I went 6 weeks without losing. Upped my calories from 1200 to 1300 and made sure to log the exercise and eat most of my exercise calories. I started losing again. I just thought I would share my experience with increased calories.
  • bluehorsesjp
    Options
    I am new and been logging in for a week. my cal intake says 1340 but thats with no excersice due to injury at the moment healing from it. My problem is the sugars i am having a hard time keep them low. I am eating less then the 1340 because i keep hitting the sugars to high. So i guess in my mind im thinking over on sugars then its ok to be lower on cals. I am going to try to balance out the sugars as the days go on but its kinda sad that a apple a day is suppose to keep the dr away but its boosting my sugars lol. If i get a low carb burger at Carls jr with no mayo but end up putting more catsup on it then the sugars are high so maybe i should try keeping the mayo and less catsup lol.....o im soooo confused lol.....any suggestions:ohwell:

There have been a lot of threads about sugars. You can do a search and see them.
    But basically, the sugar in an apple is fructose, the sugar in milk is lactose and the sugar that is refined is called sucrous. Fructose is easily converted by the body. Sucrose is not. MFP does not differentiate between the 3, so you will always be over in the sugar range.
    I finally just knocked sugar out of my readings so that I wouldn't have to look at it.

I basically stay away from all refined sugars (and yes you are right there is sugar in ketchup which is refined sugar. ) and still eat fruit and milk. Those have good sugars.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me today I can eat 2000 calories and still lose. He said if I dont lose, then drop 100 cal. at a time. This site says I should eat 1500, so I changed it to 1700. Theres no magic number, try increasing and see if it works.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

the thing to remember is that natural sugars aren't going to adversely affect you like candy sugars, or refined flour sugars. Unless you are fighting diabetes, the sugars you are getting from the apples are ok. Now, the ketchup sugars are what you need to be careful about!
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Up the cals, and eat frequently. Every 2-3 hours.

For example:

8:00 Breakfast (300 Cals)
    10:00 Snack (100 Cals)
    12:00 Lunch (300 Cals)
    2:00 Snack (100 Cals)
    4:00 Snack (100 Cals)
    6:00 Dinner (400 Cals)
    8:00 Snack (100 Cals)

Think really small meals, and healthy HEALTHY snacks. (1 cup of Brocoli and Low fat dressings= 100 cals) Also eat your exercise calories.

I know that a ton of people believe that you shouldn't eat after 6 or 7, but really if you do that you are just putting your body into a temporary starvation mode.

Give these things a try
  • Certified_Femail
    Certified_Femail Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help on the sugars. I did search sugars and People were going back and forth about shakeoloy. I figured it was best to talk with people who could answer me directly. Thanks for the help everyone