Clothing sizes and mind set

Options
So, i have dropped down to single digits in clothing. Here is my dilemma. I have some skirts and jeans that are made SMALL. I mean really really small. I would have to be a size 2 or 4 to wear these size 10 items. Does anybody else struggle with the tricks your mind plays on you when you KNOW you have lost weight and are looking better, but you still cannot fit into a piece of clothing that is larger than what you normally wear? I swear this alone could cause me to workout way more than necessary.

Replies

• PLoveElliott
    PLoveElliott Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I think we all do. Different designers can have the same size (e.g. size 8) be either bigger or smaller. I hate it...but have gotten used to which designers I know are a true size. Hang in there and remember to stay focused on what you have lost and how far you have come. Don't let a little sizing difference through you into a tail spin...that could lead to burn out.
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options
    I've had to learn what brands run really small and what runs really big. I have several pairs of jeans that are size 10 and 12 that fit me perfectly (various brands). But I have a pair of size 16 jeans that I can't even pull up over my thighs. It is very frustrating. I do have to agree but as long as I'm getting smaller I keep in mind something run small (generally clothes in the junior section, anything that says petite, and dress pants...not to mention various brands)...Sometimes I wish they did women's clothes the way they do men's (by in seam and waist, or is it hips)

Generally I like to just buy the brands that run a little large so I can feel skinnier lol
  • gmmendenhall
    gmmendenhall Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    LOL, the problem is my desire to feel smaller fights with my desire to get a bargain. When i can get a great pair of jeans/skirt/dress for $5 that would usually cost me $50, I can't hardly turn it down.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm getting better at not paying attention to the tag. I just bought a size 18 dress when I'm actually getting ready to drop down to a size 14...it fits me like a glove. I already had a similarly styled dress in a size 18 that just absolutely hangs on me now. There are some clothes that I just accept run small...for instance pencil skirts. I always have to go up 2 sizes for a pencil shirt, but can actually go down a size for a-line skirts. I watch a LOT of What Not to Wear though, where they address this issue frequently. So I do my best to just accept it, and realize that no matter what the tag says, the scale says I'm better than I used to be!
  • Lind5ay90
    Lind5ay90 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you mean!! I hate that so much. :( I seriously can fluctuate like 5 sizes between pairs of pants. It's so discouraging sometimes.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    YES. Beware - some brands run HUGE (ahem GAP brands, especially Old Navy), and some brands (ahem juniors clothes in general and formal dresses) run small. It's really frustrating and upsetting, but remember where you started and how far you've come :)
  • gmmendenhall
    gmmendenhall Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies!!! You have helped me immensely. I am down almost 17 pounds overall, (15 pounds from when I started tracking my weight on MFP) in the last 6 weeks. Very excited. But I have this one particular Worthington skirt size 10 that I am dying to wear. My size 8 jeans are loose on me, but I still cannot get that stupid skirt zipped up. Sunday I was actually in tears over the silly thing.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I know that feel. I'm into a size 6 now (a 4 at old navy. I<3Old Navy) but I have this one pair of size 8 crops I can just barely get up my thighs. I got them as a gift two Christmases ago when I was ten pounds lighter than I am now and I couldn't get them up at all then, so I guess that's some kind progress that at ten pounds heavier I can button them.

Anyway. I don't know what's up with them, but they are basically the devil.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    So, i have dropped down to single digits in clothing. Here is my dilemma. I have some skirts and jeans that are made SMALL. I mean really really small. I would have to be a size 2 or 4 to wear these size 10 items.

Size 2 or 4 was size 10... 40 years ago. I know because that's what I wore back then. When I was 20 I weighed about what I do now, though no doubt my BF% was lower. I wore 34C and size 5 underwear top and bottom, size 8 shoes, and was reliably a Misses size 10 in practically anything that came in Misses sizes. Now I wear 34C and size 5 underwear top and bottom, size 8 shoes, and mostly Misses size 4 or 2 with an occasional size 6. If I live long enough I expect to get down to zeros.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate the printed in labels (as opposed to the little silky fabric size/washing labels)
    I have clothes that fit that range from size 8 to 14. For the most part I used to just cut the tags out.

Lately jeans and tops have printed in labels right on the fabric--drives me to drink. LOL
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate shopping.
  • bhannana
    bhannana Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's really silly the way different brands, and event different lines within those brands, have completely different sizing. Whenever I go shopping, I start with a size 6 and hold it up to myself. If it's a shirt or dress, I see if the side seams are halfway around my body. If it's pants, I see if the leg seams wrap half way around my thighs and the waist half way around my hips. If yes, then I grab one size bigger and one smaller. If not, I find the size that does and grab one above and below that as well.

I'm sure the retail employees hate me, but after I've tried on my "test" shirt/pants/dresses I at least have an idea my "size" for that particular brand or store. Also, it helps keep me from trying on absolutely everything I want to because I just can't carry it all! I currently have dresses (all different brands) that I wear from "size 2" to "size 10"
  • vealcalf2000
    Options
    This is why sometimes I wish they'd size women's pants like men's (do the waist in inches and the length in inches) All they'd have to do is add a hip size and VOILA all the guesswork would be done!

I like Lee Rider Jeans with the stretch fit because they are a higher waist...I absolutely cannot do low riders or anything of the sort! and I notice even the different washes are sized differently! Pretty much the medium wash seems true to size but if you go with the khaki or dark wash they are sized smaller! So frustrating! Especially since I hit a plateau!