Not loosing anything :(

Options
I have only been doing this for a week but when do the results start showing? Im 5'10 and weigh in at 190 pounds. I really want to loose 40 pounds. My doctor told me to keep weight I need to eat about 2200 calories a day, in order to loose I needed to cut calories. so for a little over a week I have been eating about 1500 calories. When I got on scale yesterday I thought I would see some great results being I cut about 4900 calories in a week. I actually gained a pound? I don't understand. So how long does it take for the weight to start melting off?

Thnx,
Me

Replies

• chrisc16
    chrisc16 Posts: 94
    Options
    Give it another day or two.
  • leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Since you have just started I suggest that you measure yourself also. If you are working out in any way you may be building muscle in place of the fat! Give it a little while and let your body get used to the new routine, it could be freaking out thinking it needs to hold on to everything. :) Feel free to add me I could always use some friends ;) and I hope to help you as much as I can!
  • crazypt
    crazypt Posts: 3
    Options
    Dnt,

I would not worry about it, you will NEVER see results in 1 week due to the fact that the more we workout, we actually BUILD muscle while losing fat. The key to remember is that muscle is 2x as dense as fat and no matter what we do when we workout, we are burning calories/fat BUT at the same time we are actually building muscle. I have been doing the workout Insanity for about 32 days and I started out at 188lbs, but currently I only weight 184lbs. This is due to the fact that 1) I eat lean protein/shakes 2) I am a Physical Training Leader for the military and MUST stay in shape. You will slowly lose the weight over time, the key is you gotta keep up with your healthy eating habits and workout habits (I work out 6-7 days a week). Just keep hanging in there and you will most likely start to see muscle development BEFORE you start seeing the weight melting off. Let me know if that helps :)
  • Peejer2001
    Peejer2001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In this world of everything being instant gratification, we all lose sight of patience. I am a slow slow loser myself. I wenet to a Biggest Loser Resort for a week. Eating 1500 very regulated calories by dietician and working out 5 hrs a day. I lost 1.2 lbs the first week. I was frustrated but not defeated. I have continued over the past 8 months. Going to gym religiously since February, personal trainer two days a week and eating generally 1200 calorie diet. Whole foods, eliminating almost everything I can that is processed. No sodas ( diet or otherwise) I am down a total of 50 lbs now, 30 since joining up here in January. Keep you focus on the journey, not day to day numbers. I sometimes don't see scale movement for 3 weeks at a time. Hang in there!! You'll get the results with healthy eating and exercise.
  • dntlmom00
    dntlmom00 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • dntlmom00
    dntlmom00 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You are more likely to be retaining water rather than building significant muscle on 1500 calories a day.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    When you first start to exercise, you develop microtears in the muscle fibers as part of the normal muscle building process. Your body retains water and glycogen at the site of the tears as part of the inflammation process to heal the muscle. Water is quite dense, particularly when compared to fat, and so can often balance or even offset any losses from fat on the scale. It typically takes two to three weeks for the retention to stop, and then the scale should start to drop again. A tape measure and/or progress pictures are going to give you a better sense of your progress. The losses may not show up on the scale, but they will in inches. When I started Insanity, I dropped 2" off of my waist, but I gained two pounds. Since I could see that I was burning fat, it was easy to keep the gain from bothering me. Weight loss is a game of patience. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Weight loss is not linear. There will be weeks where it seems like nothing is working and there will be weeks where the weight just falls off. It's normal, so don't let it get you down.
  • Ivonnegarza1980
    Options
    Don't stress yourself out. Measure yourself you would be surprise at how much you can lose (inches wise)
  • dgbaby21
    dgbaby21 Posts: 5
    Options
    dntlmom00 - There are so many different factors that come into play but the most important one is be easy on yourself. You are just about a week in and you are putting a lot of extra pressure on yourself to already see results. I agree with pp - make sure you take photos and measurements. The scale never ever tells the whole picture and can put you in the wrong mindspace. If you have added in activity that you typically have not done before you are going to retain a lot of water bc your body is trying to protect your muscles.

Keep doing what your doing and you will see results! Add me if you would like :)