Half Marathon Training

Options
lexoxoc
lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
Hey Guys,

Hoping I can get some insight into training for a Half Marathon.

I just completed Active's Couch-to-5K program this past Saturday. Today I started Active's 5K-to-10K program which I should be finishing the first week in September. The 2nd week of October (October 13th to be exact) there is a half-marathon a few of my friends are doing and they want me to do it with them. Is there any way I could feasibly get myself to the point where I can run a half in only 6 weeks after I finished the 5K10K program? Any training tips or websites I should look into for it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    yes...be prepared to walk when your body needs rest..and run when you can. i did my first 1/2...and i finished in 3:27...not a great time..but awesome for me...I say do it..!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Congrats on joining the dark side :) When I was training for my first 1/2 and now that I'm training for a full I used a program by Hal Higdon. It's actually an android app. It tells you exactly how many miles to do on what dates, and many other helpful tips! I have absolutely loved it!

Best of luck on your 1/2 :)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible, but not advisable. The more you up your mileage without a sound base (several months of consistently running 3 or more miles a day, 3 or 4 times a week), the more likely you are to injure yourself when running. That said, if you are really interested in it and think your fitness level is good enough, there are several run-walk programs out there designed to help you achieve your goal of running a half. Hal Higgdon and Jeff Galloway are to names that come to mind. You would probably want to start them sooner rather than at the end of the 5K to 10K bridge program.
  • IronMan_DuhamNC
    Options
    That's a tall challenge for a novice. Better be very careful. Do a ton of research on the web first. Check out beginner triathlete . Com great help there.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    As long as you okay with a good bit of walking and not worrying about time or running the whole way, you could do it. But if you want to run your first half marathon, six weeks is too fast to comfortably go from 6.2 miles to 13.1 miles.

I'll third the Hal Higdon plan. It's what I've used for both of my half marathons as well as using his training plan outlines for shorter distance races as well.

But most half marathon plans are around 12 weeks long so trying to cram it into six weeks would be asking for injury.
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think six weeks could work bc most plans have one long run a week and it gets one mile further every week...if you are at 6 miles...and then weeks 1-6 your long run would be 7-8-9-10-11-12...you'd actually be at a good point! Go for it...the training is one of the things that makes finishing a half marathon so fulfilling bc you realize all the hard work has been worth it:)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    6 wks to better than double the distance?

Considering the last week will mainly be taper with little useful training, and first week may still be recovery from 10K, that leaves 5 weeks.

Very carefully it can be done, I've done it and trained others too.
    Last week you need to scrap the diet and eat at maintenance, you'll require the extra carbs loaded up, sadly they store with water, thankfully that increases LBM and metabolism and endurance, so all good.
    You'll also need to cross train, because that kind of increase in just running will likely cause injury, and there won't be time to recover.
    And lifting won't fit in the schedule barely, except upper body.
    And eat correctly for level of exercise.

Need to get endurance increased fast.
    Studies on Short Interval Training (SIT) have shown a 100% increase in endurance in just 2 weeks, 3 sessions a week, 4-7 bouts per session.
    Forget the page link name (you don't want HIIT right now), it's really about SIT - http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/HIIT.html

So first 2 weeks after 10K is finished, 3 days spread out each week. Like Mo - We - Fr
    10 min warm-up walk/jog.
    30 sec all out sprint, followed by first walk and then slow jog for 4 min total. Repeat 4 times first day, then the rest 7 times.
    10 min cool-down jog/walk.
    For those 2 weeks, Tu & Th are easy spin class or bicycle day. You need recovery from those sprints to truly benefit. Can do upper body lifting on these days too.
    Sat is rest day.
    Sun is 6 mile jog, Aerobic HR zone. You'll need energy leftover for Mon SIT session.

3rd week. Switch to HIIT to develop anaerobic zone, but balanced with training fat-burning zone, which you'll require to make it.
    Mon - 7 mile jog Aerobic HR zone. There, you just did 13 miles in 2 days - now you know you can finish the race.
    Tue - walk or slow bicycle to help legs recover. Upper lifting if done.
    Wed - 60 min slow run in Recovery HR zone (badly called fat-burning zone now), because still recovering probably.
    Thu - HIIT
    10 min warm-up walk.
    30 sec all out sprint, followed by 90 sec of walking. Repeat 8 times.
    10 min cool-down walk.
    Fri - 60 min Slow cycle in Recovery HR zone. Upper lifting if done.
    Sat - rest day.
    Sun - 7 mile jog, Aerobic HR zone.

4th week. Same as last, but no long run on Monday.
    Mon - 30 min jog, whatever HR zone you can manage, try to make it race pace, but only 30 min, plus warm-up/cool-down walking and stretching.
    Tue - Sat - the same as last week.
    Sun - Foot-time training. Estimate how long the Half will take you worse case scenario but realistic. Divide by 3. Wear the race clothes you plan on wearing. Do it early morning, eat dinner and breakfast as you plan to on race day. This will test everything out.
    Walk 1/3 the time.
    Jog 1/3 the time at race pace.
    Walk 1/3 the time.
    There, just spent on your feet the same amount of time you plan on running. And you've tested out diet and clothes and hydration, ect. And you didn't kill your joints requiring many days of recovery as after race.
    Now you've done the distance in 24 hrs, and done the time all at once - you are ready.

5th week, same as last basically.
    Mon - Sat the same.
    Sun - 9 mile jog, Aerobic HR zone.

6th week, taper week. Eat at maintenance.
    Mon - Wed the same.
    Thu - 30 min Aerobic HR zone and cycle 30 min.
    Fri - Cycle 30 min easy and walk 30 min.
    Sat - walk 30 or rest.
    Sun - Half Marathon!
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Wow heybales!! very informative.. This may come in handy for me as well. I am also doing the same thing, with a half marathon fast approaching i am getting nervous that I wont be able to do it.
    But I have also already consented to myself that I might not be able to jog the whole thing, might half to walk, but my goal is to complete it.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I get wanting to do it with your friends. Otherwise, I'd say why rush it. Instead train so you can actually do the distance rather than just survive the experience. But again, I get wanting to do it with your friends.

If they are better trained for the 1/2, don't get caught up in trying to stay with them. Be prepared to walk a lot, and plan for it from the beginning. Feel free to try heybales approach, but don't expect it to be an easy task.

Do it because your friends are also, don't worry about time, walk often. Have fun and be proud of finishing.

Then I'd recommend take a step back and actually learn how to run the shorter distances. Ideally, you should get better at running 5ks and 10ks before tackling a half. That results in you having a better base, which translates into lower injury risk during training and a body better prepared to run the half distance.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not! There is no rule that says you have to run the entire way. Perhaps if you plan on completing active's 5 to 10K training look at picking up a specific Novice Half training program and follow it from where the long run taps out at 6 miles. Goodluck with whatever you decide :)
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    Hey,

I also completed my very first half this year in May, and did it in 2:13..... I trained for 4 months ....started at 2.5k, increased to 4, then 5k....I ran on my treadmill at home , every other day 5 k....and did longer runs once a week....I never followed a real training schedule, but listened to my body. I also cross training, (weights, etc)...people forget that cross-training is also essential.....most marathoners forget that I find. Also, I am not a marathoner by any stretch, but I do recall ...people telling me to wean down on the long distance runs, 2 weeks before D day.....also , carb up the week before I think.

Good luck, it's an amazing feeling to get one under your belt.....You will do great!! Best of luck
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    And sorry, one more thing, I agree with the one of the other MFP responses ...the training is the most fulfilling...it's the journey not so much the destination. Completing the Half was just the end result, but the early morning training for 4 months is what I reflect on the most!!! You can do this...just remember that and you'll do it :)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    just make sure you go at your own speed, don't try and keep up with your friends...
  • iamaelephant
    Options
    Yes you can very easily be ready by then and no you won't need to walk any of it. How ridiculous. You have 13 weeks to prepare, this is more than enough time to go from 5km to 21.1km if you're dedicated.
  • StephTanis
    StephTanis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump. Training for my first half coming in September.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    If you are able to comfortably enough run 5k right now, I'd say you have time to train to just finish a half marathon in October. But if I were you I'd scrap the 10k program and start working on a half marathon program now. If you are able to run 3 miles 3 or 4 times a week, you could conceivably train for a half in 12 weeks. I agree with the hal higdon recomendation for his novice 1 plan. I don't think you should do the 10k program and try to cram the 7 mile jump in 6 weeks. I think you are more at risk for injury that way.

I trained for a half marathon last year after I just started being able to run 5k. I started training at the end of july for an october half like you and was able to do it. I also felt well trained, not over trained and great once it was over. And I've run another half since then. Just don't choose a plan that starts too far off from where you currently are and listen to your body. If you are tired, you may need to rest even if it's a run day.