Weight for 5'9 women

Options
I am five feet, nine inches. What is a good weight for me in your opinion, I know how to calculate BMI.
Thanks! :)

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Around 138 lbs.
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Part of it will be influenced by your age, shape, etc. I'm 5'9" and weighed 125 to 130 in college. After 30 additional years and 3 children, I'm around 155 and am nearly to my goal weight. Only you can know what is right for you.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    129-170 depending on build?
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and big boned so 145 is right for me! Any smaller and I'll see my ribs, which I some what see now.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You're tall...
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 10" and have a medium frame.

My goal weight is between 150-155 pounds and I've been maintaining there for about 3 months and am for the most part happy with it.
    I think much lower and I would look too thin.
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and would look sickly at 140lb. I have an apple shape, so 150-165lb is more my size.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and weigh 125. I have a very small frame though, I've always been tiny.
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    im 5'9 and i fluctuate around 150 - 160. Im trying to lose a few lbs though.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and I'm shooting for 180.
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'9" (my Drivers License says 5'10"--oops!) and right now I'm ~ 175lbs. My goal is 150lbs. I'm an inverted triangle--broad shoulders and large upper body but really narrow hips and freaking bird legs! At around 155lbs my top half and my bottom half actually begin to look like they could belong to the same person!

I've never (as an adult) weighed less than 150lbs, but I don't think I'd want to. Also, I'm working out to help tone, and I've noticed that I'm in smaller sizes at a considerably higher weight than I was when I was thinner before.

Maybe that elusive size 8 will one day be "my size"....and, maybe not!
  • morrigananne
    morrigananne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, and am shooting for 165. After that, I'll take a look at myself and then see if I want to go any lower than that.

Thanks to a lot of reading I've done around here, I did my measurements to calculated my Lean Body Mass; and according to the Lean Body Mass calculator, my ideal weight would be around 163. I think that's because I've been swimming almost all of my life - since I was 2 years old - and so am still quite muscular from that. One time a few years ago, when I was actually heavier than I am now, I had a fitness trainer who took my measurements and told me I still had my swimmer's build, even after all the weight I had gained, and didn't have much body fat.

I was actually 145-ish pounds, or about that, after my first year in college, and people thought I was anorexic because I was so thin. So I know I don't want to go below 155 or so if I do decided to go lower than what I'm shooting for now.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Around 138 lbs.

This is about right for my small frame. 135-140 with plenty of lean muscle.
    5'9" currently, 145. Not quite where I want to be just yet.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and 155. When I was 140-145, I looked healthy and fit. Not overly thin but healthy. I think the lowest I could be is 135 before looking too skinny.

It all depends on your body. Everyone is different.
  • nedabelle
    nedabelle Posts: 5
    Options
    I have a fairly large hourglass fram, wide shoulders, wide hips, large bones. Right now my goal is 200. After that I'll re-evaluate to see if I want to get back down to my high school weight of 180.

You have to just get to what you are comfortable with and where you feel healthy. :)
  • iorion
    iorion Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with other posts saying it depends on your body shape and what you feel most comfortable with. I'm 5'9, started at 208 and felt very heavy, now I'm down to 190 and working on getting to 170-75. I know at 175 I'll be a size 10, which is perfect for me, I like having a little extra meat on me, especially since I am an hourglass shape. I think you should pay attention to your shape and what you feel comfortable at. For me, personally, anything lower than 165 is too skinny.

P.S. BMI is ridiculous. It says my ideal weight is overweight, which is ridiculous by my standards.
  • msstatz
    msstatz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and am 117 and would like to maintain.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am just a hair under 5'10 and am currently around 140. I am aiming to get down to 133 where I was a bit more comfortable.
    Whether that is possible is another matter as I have gained some lean mass over the last year.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on your build - I have very fine bones and am 5'9". I am shooting for no less than 130. I'm fluctuating between 133 - 135 right now, trying to get down just a little more before finding maintenance, to eliminate error.