Protein ideas for P90X diet

Options
karamae
karamae Posts: 136 Member
Hello! I'll be starting the P90X diet/program here soon. I'm trying to compile a list of protein sources so I will stay on track better. I am NOT a very good meat eater. I will eat chicken, fish and turkey, but not cold. (as in cold chicken on a salad-yes I know, unbelievably annoyingly picky!). I do however love things like beans, cheese and hard boiled eggs. Soo...

Can you all think of lean protein snacks I can easily prepare and bring to work with me? Thank you! I appreciate all the input. ;)

Replies

• lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'll go with the easy things: low-fat cheese sticks, almonds (nuts in general, but almonds are probably the best), cottage cheese.

I have Bill Phillips's book "Eating for Life" has lots of great, quick ideas that has lots of protein.

I'm not on P90X (yet, cross your fingers that I get to that level), but I plan to consult that cookbook often if I do.

Hope this helps!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Hey! The Metobolic Reset protein shakes are really good! Blend with some strawberries and bananas....greek yogurt also has 14 grams of protein...so its a really good source! I like hard boiled eggs too, so i made sort of a salad chopping them up with some celery, onion, seasonings and a little plain greek yogurt...it was good! The chicken breast strips you buy next to the lunch meats are good warmed up too!! hope this helps...good luck! I do P90X a few times a week, I love Core Synergistics its a great workout!
  • cmann1071
    cmann1071 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree on the cottage cheese. I use 1 cup of low fat cottage cheese (although i hate the taste) and a cup of fruit to go with it. The fruit helps with the taste for me.
    Another great one is greek yogurt. It has 2x the protien that regular yogurt. Good stuff.
    Beef jerky is good for protien if you can take the sodium.

I was thinking of doing P90x diet...you'll have to let me know how it goes.
  • karamae
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm writing all your suggestions down. :)

We did 7 weeks of p90x before summer and we dropped out. It was SO time consuming but I really want to finish it! I hope I stick with it this time!

Any other suggestions would be great!
  • orangegalt
    Options
    fage 0% greek yogurt. i like the plain with a tbsp of hershey's sugar free chocolate syrup (8 cals).
    canned tuna. drain it, mix in seasoning, eat it on celery or a cocopop (google that for somewhere to buy it).
    organic turkey jerky or buffalo jerky. i buy mine at trader joe's or whole foods.
    arctic zero--the most amazing ice cream replacement ever. it's like a protein shake, disguised as a pint of ice cream. vanilla maple is about 140 cals and 20g of protein for the entire pint.
    vitatop muffins for breakfast are good--banana nut has 5g of protein and 100 cals. you make them in the toaster.
    almonds--try emerald brand cocoa roast almonds if you want chocolate.
  • st27
    st27 Posts: 101
    Options
    Hello great to see your planing ahead. You can use Protein bars.Just check sugar levels and calories. Cheese sticks,and Nuts.
  • gebona
    gebona Posts: 11
    Options
    One thing you could try to save time while on th eP90X diet is to make your sauces ahead of time, and freeze them in ice cube trays. Defrost the portions needed for a couple minutes in the microwave and you turn a 30-45 minute meal prep into 15 minutes.
  • skydiveskier
    Options
    Greetings.

If you want a protein rich diet guide, look no further than the blog post that I just put up. I've been doing P90X for a number of months and have had awesome results. I included a guide that will help you along even farther than the P90X guidebook.

I called this post "AAE - All About Eating" - http://jakebradleyfitness.com/blog/aae-all-about-eating

Let me know if you've got any questions.

-Jake
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Here are some things that've really helped me:
    - LF cottage cheese, w/fruit
    - LF string cheese
    - hard-boiled eggs
    - greek yogurt (Dannon fruit-on-the-bottom tastes much better than yoplait)
    - tuna (I like to put it on soda crackers)
    - peanut butter on celery (but go natural w/o the preservatives)
    - protein bars/shakes (LF chocolate milk if the cost of the shakes is too much)
    - beef jerky/nuggets

Hope some of these help. Good luck!
  • slimline1
    slimline1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    From UK, not heard of P90X diet, intrigued to know more about it please, Carol
  • cat1110
    cat1110 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hey there - I feel ya on the protein! I have been doing P90X since January and I'm always trying to get more protein in!
    As far as supplements - I like 4EverFit Protein Isolate in Strawberry Kiwi or Mango. I can' t believe how good it is with just water!
    Also, a carton of greek yogurt, fruit and a little milk makes a great smoothie. The greek yogurt has lots of protein!

Best of luck! If you want to try and stick with P90X I would definitely hit the message boards on teambeachbody.com.
    I could NOT do it without the support from my buds on the message boards. They keep me going!!
    If you do go on there, look me up (atlcat), I'm already part of some awesome threads that I could suggest.

Good Luck! P90X DOES work if you stick with it!
    :)
  • slimline1
    Options
    Beginning to think I am invisible, I never get any responses to my questions. Booohooo
  • karamae
    Options
    I'm not the best person to explain the P90X diet, but it correlates with the P90X program. It's a workout program that is 13 weeks long and about an hour a day. (A dvd system) the diet includes lots of protein and eating several times a day as apposed to a couple big meals. You can look it up online, you should be able to find something about it! :)
  • MayberryMama
    Options
    I'm on month 2 of P90X and I have had to get creative with my protien. Right now I am into these Polish Pickle things. You take a slice of low fat ham lunch meat, spread low fat cream cheese on it, then put a pickle spear in the middle. Roll it up and put a toothpick in it. I take them for lunch and they are super yummy.

I also have been making my own sort of trail mix with nuts and flax and low carb granola. For dinner I've been doing a lot of shrimp and stir fry but only small amounts of brown rice. It's hard cuz I am a total carb addict.

One fast thing that my husband does is he buys the low carb whole wheat tortillas and melts low fat mozzarella cheese and tops with Salsa. It works in the lunch box too, so it's good for desk lunch.
  • slimline1
    Options
    I appreciate your response, thanx.