Just eating calories and no exercising?

Options
Here lately I have become very lazy with my exercising :( Very simply put, I want to know if I NEED the exercise? As long as I am still eating at or below my calorie requirment, I should still lose weight right? Or not?

Replies

• skinnybride2b
    Options
    Same thing happened to me last week. I didn't work out for a full week, but stayed at or under my calories. I'm sure you will still lose weight, just not as fast. But I don't really know :)
  • kellyteresa
    kellyteresa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started off exercising when i first joined MFP....but I simply dont have enough time. So I do my best to stay under 1200 calories per day and Ive lost 6 lbs in 5-6 weeks. So, it is possible with little to no exercise. But it looks like its a slower process.
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You should still be able to lose weight, as long as you stay below your BMR, but remember this:
    It would still be good to get some excercise... so you can build muscle. If you want a toned body, you have to work for it.
  • lavondrew
    Options
    Yes, you'll still lose weight. I hate to admit it, but I only get a 30-minute walk a couple of times a week. That's it. :0(

However, by tracking my food, I've lost 19 pounds in 6 weeks, so it's apparently still effective to just track what you eat. :0)
  • hmlayman
    hmlayman Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's what I figured but had to make sure. On the other hand... basically exercising to eat more calores right?
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not work out, never have and I wish I wanted to but it's just not me. I still lose weight. I know many people who have lost lots of weight and never worked out. So YES you will still lose weight. I try to walk but not on a regular basis I know I should move more but right now I just don't. Don't stress about it for sure:)
  • dale49
    dale49 Posts: 37
    Options
    From everything I've read weight loss is a 'simple' in and out equation: if you expend more energy than you take in you'll lose weight. So...strictly speaking you cna lose weight just by reducing calories. And weight loss is generally considered to be about 85% food and 15% exercise. But that doesn't mean that exercise isn't vitally important. It tones and stengthens you and causes a rush of endorphins that make you feel better mentally and thus be more likely to stay the course of a lifestyle change. And losing weight needs to be a whole package - a real change in lifestyle - so that you are more likely to stay with it. So even if you don't absolutely need to exercise to lose weight there are just too many reasons why you should. And you've got one of them in your profile picture...exercising will keep you healthy and active for your little one and I know you think she's worth it, right? :happy:
  • 80sfiend
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing right now, I just haven't found the time to do any working out. I totally plan to change this, but so far I'm still losing weight! :D Reducing calories is HUGE. At least for me so far. :D
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's what I figured but had to make sure. On the other hand... basically exercising to eat more calores right?

Well yes u get to eat more BUT I exercise to lose more weight and to tone my body.. I would suggest maybe some situps here and there and some bicep curls or something just to stay toned.. IDK just my opinion.. PLUS exercise makes u feel soooo much better about what u r doing.. Hope everything works out for u.. Goodluck!!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    :huh: yes you can still lose weight ,your young you could lose all your weight:indifferent: is it a good idea:noway: noooooooooooooooo your body needs exercise, for so many reasons more than i could go on about me i am exercising alot i mean like 5 hours a day i stopped smoking at it takes my mind off cigs the next reason is i have a lot of fat i mean alot so i have to turn that to muscle before i really start dropping the weight than theris the fact i will look really good at 150 pounds before i get to my goal of 120 and i'm close to 50 years old and exerciseing makes you look younger and move better and those are just my selfish reason for exercise i havent even said anything abut the health benfits:bigsmile: good luck
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Will you lose weight without exercise? Of course you will.

Can you still be healthy without exercise? Eh...not as much. Your heart and lungs need to be worked out, they need to be stronger. So while you may be lighter, you may not be all that much healthier.

And know, the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns, just by being alive. So in order to burn MORE calories (aside from exercise calories), you need muscle mass. And I'm not talking body builder big or anything.

Making time to exercise is just like making time to eat, to do your hair, to watch tv. If you say you don't have time, you won't. If you say you'll figure it out, you may. If you say you WILL exercise, you'll find the time.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    The reason I exercise is that per pound muscle takes up less room then fat. Looks smoother. And muscles burn more calories at rest then fat does. That idea motivates me for sure.
  • hmlayman
    hmlayman Posts: 70
    Options
    This is a reply for everyone. I am definately planning on exercising.!!! This was just a hypothetical question because at the moment and times in the past, I haven't been able to find time or have been just lazy. Personally, I LOVE exercising and I am aware of all the benefits. I was just wondering!! Thank you all so much :smooched: :smooched:
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Okay, well you will lose weight. But in the process of losing weight, if you aren't exercising, your body may start to use muscle mass as an energy resource. Remember your body knows that "famine" is around and would rather hold onto fat (future energy stores) than unnecessary unused muscles, which just use up more calories anyway.

What may eventually happen is that you will be losing weight, muscle included and eventually hit a plateau because your body has gotten used to the lower number of calories and doesn't demand them anymore because you have less muscle mass.

I would recommend you engage in light exercise to at least try and maintain the muscle you do have.

But you will still lose weight. Muscles really do make a difference in long term health and wellness, and can help your body maintain its new form once you've lost the weight.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight without exercise. You exercise to help keep the weight off, to be healthy, to have energy, to have a healthy body, strong bones, endurance, strength, a healthy cardiovascular system, muscle burns calories 24/7. You sleep better, your body looks better, It increases your balance, coordination, and agility. Helps prevent osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, and non–insulin-dependent diabetes. Strengthens bones and muscle, giving you the functional strength for everyday living.
    It increases muscle strength and endurance and improves flexibility and posture, regular exercise helps to prevent back pain. Exercise can cause release of chemicals called endorphins into your blood stream. These chemicals give you a feeling of happiness and positively affect your overall sense of well-being, which means lower stress levels. Exercise also aids your digestive system, increases flexibility, reduces varicose veins, can help balance the metabolism, can help you you regulate an out-of-control appetite, improve circulation....point being it does more then just allow you to eat more calories.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    exercise will help a out of control appetite