Exercise induced panic attacks

So I have been dealing with panic attacks for about 3 years now. I am admittedly on as needed medications for these bouts of anxiety. Luckily, I have not had an actual scary panic attack in ages.
Today, my fiance and I went to the gym. I have a polar ft4, and my max heart rate is supposed to be 166. I did the arc trainer and had my heart rate at a steady 171 for a good portion of this workout on a high resistance.
Upon stepping off of the trainer, I was dizzy and just not feeling well. We got home, and immediately panic set in. I literally sat in front of the toilet with my head in between my knees, then started pacing back and forth for about 10 minutes. I think I scared the crap out of my fiance. I even got myself dressed just in case I had to go to the ER. Anyone else here who suffers from anxiety knows that you automatically think the worst in the middle of an attack. Unfortunately, I resorted to taking medication, and within 20 minutes I was okay.

Can anyone maybe explain why this happened? Does going above my heart rate by only 5 bpm really effect me that much, or did I just psych myself out into believing it does?
I'm not particularly scared to go back and work out, I just know I should take it easy this time around. How do you cope with this kind of panic/anxiety?

Replies

• princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    I go in with the mind frame that the exercise will be good at reducing my anxiety. That seems to help. Exercise generally works to reduce my anxiety.... especially if it's something that I find fun like a class or a hike. However, if it doesn't seem to, I do something I enjoy for a while like taking a bath, reading or watching mindless reality TV.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    P.S. I know that answer is probably frustrating seeing how anxiety works. It seems like the more you try to calm down or tell yourself it's a panic attack, the worse it gets. My husband is the worst about saying, "Why don't you just calm down?" or "What are you anxious about?" If I could do that/know why I was anxious trust me... I would fix it!
  • rbarragato412
    rbarragato412 Posts: 42 Member
    P.S. I know that answer is probably frustrating seeing how anxiety works. It seems like the more you try to calm down or tell yourself it's a panic attack, the worse it gets. My husband is the worst about saying, "Why don't you just calm down?" or "What are you anxious about?" If I could do that/know why I was anxious trust me... I would fix it!

That's always what I try to tell myself, but I'm sure as you know we usually talk ourselves into "oh its a heart attack". For some reason I just assume I'm having a heart attack or I'm just going to pass out. It's soo terrible. I don't necessarily mind when people say "just calm down", because I know they don't get it and I'm not exaggerating. This was my fiances first time seeing me this bad!! I think I scared him, but was able to kind of give him some insight!
  • basenji
    basenji Posts: 208 Member
    I am going through the same thing. It really sucks!!! I use to work out hard but the last 6 months, I haven't been able to get my heart rate up very high because I get a panic attack and feel like I can't breath. It is so frustrating. I don't think that going over by 5 beats was the problem, I think you panicked when it did...or thought too much about it?? I try to tell myself that exercise is really good for the body and heart and that seems to help.
  • Something that helped me was a system called A Panic Free Life, it's what worked when the other methods wouldn't. I gave up on doctors and medicine, none of it helped me, I only suffered more because they don't treat the root of the problem only the symptoms. The panic attacks were horrible but this sytem has helped me, not cure but helped me learn to manage the emotions. If you are interested, I have a simple blog with my story and a reviw of A Panic Free Life. Visit me at: http://tonysreviews.com

May each of you find the peace you need and deserve!
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Anxiety sucks. I have been on an anxiety rollercoaster since 2007. Currently, I take 15mg of Celexa once a day and it is helping to keep me level. At one point I was on 20mg and felt like a zombie, then I was off for a while, then I was on 10mg and did great until this past December when I had a crazy panic attack on Christmas Eve and had to take my Klonopin.

You always think the worst during panic attacks. I am learning that my panic attacks are centered around health concerns. Wondering if you feel the same way... since your HR was higher then it "should" be (even though only by 5 bpm)....

If I get a headache, I think I am going to have an aneurism or that I have a brain tumor.
    When my eyes get strained, I think I am going blind or getting glaucoma (because I have high eye pressure to begin with, but not too bad)
    When my back hurts, I can't tell if it is my back or my chest, and throw myself into an anxiety attack about having a heart attack.

I know in my mind that I am being absolutely ridiculous but there is NOTHING I can do to stop it... besides take a Klonopin and I really try to work through it on my own.

I tell myself that the more cardio endurance I can build up, the lower my resting heart rate will be, which will be much healthier for me. Even though its normal at about 75 bpm now.

I wish you the best.... I feel your pain. This morning I was doing some squats and got a weird feeling in my chest (I think it is from doing the squats, my back is kind of achy) and immediately started to feel anxious.

Deep breathing exercises really help me. I lay on my back and put my hands on my stomach and focus on my stomach rising when I inhale and falling when I exhale.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Sorry you had to go through that! You're right, people who have never had panic attacks just don't understand. I think it would be beneficial to keep going in spite of this and maybe just give yourself permission to leave if you don't feel well or it gets too bad. I am just worried that in avoiding it, you would just increase the anxiety of going back (that vicious cycle). And if the gym is the problem, there are other ways to get a good workout without going there. Sounds like you have a good support system and you will get through this xo
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    I took an over the counter weight loss drug once and ended up with a panic attack. The short term consequence of that lovely little experiment was a visit to the ER room and three hours of watching my heart rate slowly decrease. The long term consequence was that for at least a month, I could not drink caffeine because the heightened heart rate scared me which lead to a p/a. I read a few tips on how to lower heart rate. I would suggest the following: try a few yoga poses, the slower breathing will lower your heart rate and the motions will distract you. And my second tip, which always works for me, is to watch a comedy show or a video because laughing immediately lowers your blood pressure (probably not feasible in a gym). I've also heard that being around a significant other can help to calm you down so if you work out with your bf, maybe a quick hug will be enough to bring you down. It's been three years and I haven't had another since. :-)
  • liz_pitt
    liz_pitt Posts: 2 Member
    166 isn't your max heart rate, it's 85% of your max heart rate which is probably a target for your workout. being 5bpm over that shouldn't generally be a major concern, but you could relax the intensity of what you're doing if it causes you concern.

a simple formula is 220 - your age = max heart rate. so for a 25 year old, your max HR is 195. the different % targets are usually to help you gauge the intensity of the workout and caloric burn.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    As for ways to cope while you're in an attack, for me it helps to focus on my 5 senses - what I can hear, touch, see (if you're at the gym don't focus on smell too much though hehe). Anything to stop focusing on my heart rate. Listening to calming music (sometimes if the music is too energetic it might make it worse) and just focusing on breathing. Hope this helps!

Edit to add: maybe just ditch the HRM. maybe it's focusing on your heart rate that is part of the problem.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Actually, it sounds to me like your dizzy spell and not feeling well might have triggered it. Panic attacks often are caused by something, I know they don't seem to be, but they are. There is always something that triggers it. In this case it may have been something to do with the dizzy spell and not feeling well.

I get mild panic attacks and have learned what works for me to deal with them. I know how hard they can be to do that. Panic Attack because of some anxiety to something, it is often hard to find the root cause because there could be so many reasons. Sometimes a certain smell could be associated with the last panic attack and trigger one. It may be that part of your brain, subconscious got scared that something was wrong because you didn't feel well after a perfectly fine work out. And eventually that unacknowledged worry totally freaked you out.

I wouldn't avoid exercise at all because of the panic attack.

Good luck!
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    I used to get panicked when I would start breathing harder. I just slowed down until I got my breathing under control. I used the mantra, there is more than enough oxygen in this room and kind of meditate until it was under control. Then, over time, as I lost weight and was becoming healthier, the panic just stopped. I have only had one incident, due to working out, in the last two years and that's because I pushed myself too hard and was becoming lightheaded.

I never took medication but I have always found that a meditation of sorts can normally calm me down. If I feel that it's going to be a bad one, I go to a place I feel comfortable and let it happen. Good luck to you.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Actually, it sounds to me like your dizzy spell and not feeling well might have triggered it. Panic attacks often are caused by something, I know they don't seem to be, but they are. There is always something that triggers it. In this case it may have been something to do with the dizzy spell and not feeling well.

I wouldn't avoid exercise at all because of the panic attack.

I was thinking the same thing.
    Your HR didn't go high enough to be of a worry. Someone else commented that about 195 is your max HR. I've exceeded it before, up to 198 I remember, and quickly slowed my roll, but knew it wouldn't hurt me.

Lately, I've pushed myself too hard and/or been dehydrated and/or not had enough to eat when I worked out and ended up dizzy. Sitting on the floor of the gym, head between my knees, dizzy -- not only did I worry I'd pass out, but I felt like an *kitten* (like everyone was looking at me, wondering if I was a drama queen, thinking what a fat weakling I was, etc etc... those negative panic attack thoughts). Luckily I didn't have a panic attack.

I think yours could have been due to being dizzy. You noticed a jump in your HR that caused slight concern. You became dizzy and a panic attack ensued after your brain had time to sufficiently freak out. I think it was simply situational, not exercise induced.

The only way you will know is to try it again and see what the outcome is. Another poster said they had the same problem, so maybe you will continue to have the same problem, but maybe not.

Don't give up yet :heart:
    Good luck!!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    I had to stop using my heart rate monitor because it would send me in to a panic, raising my heart rate even higher. I was sure I was going to have a heart attack. Now I only use if I am doing a new exercise, then I put it away.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Firstly, as the above poster mentioned, 166 can't be your max heart rate - you just proved that. 220-age is an approximation, statistically 30%percent of people fall within 10 bpm of that, 60% within 20 ( I believe) - I've hit 220 on occasion, so I guess I am a bit of an aberration :-p

If you exercised that hard, feeling dizzy, even nauseous can probably be attributed to dehydration or low blood sugar. Which doesn't help thinking rationally. So if you are prone to panic attacks, it's probably not too far a leap to go there.
    Try hydrating better before and during exercise, getting a few carbs in the day before...
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I just want to say - you are not alone with this. I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety and I have had a panic attack at the gym before. Usually, working out does help, but sometimes when I'm so anxious over something, my mind starts to wander, I start thinking about things, and then along with working out hard, I suddenly can't breathe... it has happened at least twice where I've been on a machine (and once in a spin class) and had to leave because I couldn't catch my breath and the tears were coming and panic had set in. It was once explained to me that even though exercising can reduce stress and anxiety levels (I guess because of the endorphins?) it can also increase it because it's a physical stress on your body and therefore that increases stress hormones. It hasn't happened to me in a few months and my anxiety is pretty high these days... I guess my only suggestion is to continue exercising but just use caution and listen to your body and be kind to it too!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Unfortunately, I resorted to taking medication, and within 20 minutes I was okay.

Nah.... FORTUNATELY you had meds you could take and make the panic attack go away.
    I have my meds and have finally accepted that if I'm having a panic attack, I need to pop a valium and let the attack subside, assuming I can't work my way out of it mentally within a short period of time.
    There is NO SHAME in taking medication for panic attacks.

And to jump on my soapbox,
    there is NO SHAME in taking medication for depression, bipolar disorder, ADHD, or any other mental illness/syndrome. Mental illness and medications have such a terrible social stigma that is horribly unfair. Medication to help resolve a medical problem is perfectly fine for physical ailments within society.... diabetics take insulin shots when they need them, so why should a person with panic attacks feel badly for taking medication to fix their medical situation?
    No shame, my dear.... no shame :flowerforyou:
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Unfortunately, I resorted to taking medication, and within 20 minutes I was okay.

Nah.... FORTUNATELY you had meds you could take and make the panic attack go away.
    I have my meds and have finally accepted that if I'm having a panic attack, I need to pop a valium and let the attack subside, assuming I can't work my way out of it mentally within a short period of time.
    There is NO SHAME in taking medication for panic attacks.

And to jump on my soapbox,
    there is NO SHAME in taking medication for depression, bipolar disorder, ADHD, or any other mental illness/syndrome. Mental illness and medications have such a terrible social stigma that is horribly unfair. Medication to help resolve a medical problem is perfectly fine for physical ailments within society.... diabetics take insulin shots when they need them, so why should a person with panic attacks feel badly for taking medication to fix their medical situation?
    No shame, my dear.... no shame :flowerforyou:

^^^^ AMEN! Said beautifully :)
  • Kelly_2013
    Kelly_2013 Posts: 117 Member
    Anxiety sucks. I have been on an anxiety rollercoaster since 2007. Currently, I take 15mg of Celexa once a day and it is helping to keep me level. At one point I was on 20mg and felt like a zombie, then I was off for a while, then I was on 10mg and did great until this past December when I had a crazy panic attack on Christmas Eve and had to take my Klonopin.

You always think the worst during panic attacks. I am learning that my panic attacks are centered around health concerns. Wondering if you feel the same way... since your HR was higher then it "should" be (even though only by 5 bpm)....

If I get a headache, I think I am going to have an aneurism or that I have a brain tumor.
    When my eyes get strained, I think I am going blind or getting glaucoma (because I have high eye pressure to begin with, but not too bad)
    When my back hurts, I can't tell if it is my back or my chest, and throw myself into an anxiety attack about having a heart attack.

I know in my mind that I am being absolutely ridiculous but there is NOTHING I can do to stop it... besides take a Klonopin and I really try to work through it on my own.

I tell myself that the more cardio endurance I can build up, the lower my resting heart rate will be, which will be much healthier for me. Even though its normal at about 75 bpm now.

I wish you the best.... I feel your pain. This morning I was doing some squats and got a weird feeling in my chest (I think it is from doing the squats, my back is kind of achy) and immediately started to feel anxious.

Deep breathing exercises really help me. I lay on my back and put my hands on my stomach and focus on my stomach rising when I inhale and falling when I exhale.

I know how you feel completely!! I've been able to start talking myself down... I've really learned that people who do not have anxiety or panic attacks have no idea whatsoever! I've actually had really bad anxiety the past week or so for some reason
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    I haven't read all of the other responses but I wanted to touch base with my experience. I get like that when I push too hard doing cardio with too little fuel in my body. I get dizzy and start not feeling well once I stop or just as I'm finishing. The "not feeling well" is what makes me panic. I start feeling like I'm going to die or at least pass out in the middle of the gym with strangers everywhere. Then things escalate...well, you know how that is. Anyway, I find that eating a good snack like a banana or a granola bar on the way to the gym generally helps me to workout without the awful feelings that prompt the panic.