anyone cut out alcohol completely to lose more weight?

Options

Replies

• asterix9
    asterix9 Posts: 4
    Options
    i'll have a sip or two of wine on the weekends, but once i heard about how alcohol can actually help keep the fat on because the body stores toxins like alcohol in your fat to keep them out of your system, I really tried to cut it out all together. im still drunk on life, but ive basically stop drinking! and i feel a lot healthier than when i was drinking almost every day.
  • michalsk
    michalsk Posts: 1
    Options
    I like the way you roll! Unfortunately now that I'm in my 40's I can't roll that way anymore, kicking up the exercise used to work until a few months ago - ack! But....I LOVE beer like life itself and will not give it up.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Not to lose weight but I have for the most part quit drinking alcohol. I've had 2 drinks since January.
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Here's a funny thing about low-carb / keto diet... you get drunk much much faster. These days I can take 3 drinks (rum and diet) and I am "tipsy". Plan ahead in the macros and just "save" 300 calories.
  • kabarnes45
    kabarnes45 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    1 glass wine = 150 cal x 3 per night = 450 cal per day x 7 day = 3150
    That's almost a pound per week. Cutting back will help a lot, but drinking is fun so I'd try to find a middle ground.
  • hbbeth
    hbbeth Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm sorry for laughing but this is to Me not to laugh. Duh, cutting out alcohol will help tremendously. It has calories plus, if you're like me, it's super easy to cheat after one or two. But lets be real!! I don't even count my alcohol. I mean, wine is grapes and Weight Watchers doesn't count fruits or veggies.....
  • daniellewillson3
    Options
    I loooove my red wine. But since watching what I eat I've had to start cutting back since it give me the munchies which can only be satiated with Dubliner cheese.... not a good calorie combo right before bed. They are my weakness for sure. I just recently started cutting back over the last couple of weeks though so I'll have to be patient about seeing the results :)
  • christengrayson
    Options
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I sure did! If rather eat my calories :)
  • heartworth9
    heartworth9 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a simple sugar, so it stimulates the release of insulin, a fat storing hormone. So, you are drinking at night and stimulating this process.

When you don't eat simple sugars, glycogen is a fat burning hormone that predominates. Glycogen, then by definition is where we want to be at.

Alcohol daily is hard on the liver as well.

I gave up alcohol completely in January. Decided if I am going to indulge in a simple sugar, it would be with gelato without preservatives or chemicals for example. But only rarely.

You might try a week or two without it and see what happens. Or every other day. Experiment.
  • heartworth9
    heartworth9 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    369 of your calories via wine is a lot, given most of us on are 1200 calories a day. You might be missing macronutrients along the way as alcohol does not provide very much nutritionally. :flowerforyou:
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I haven't drank in about 20 years. I had a bad truth telling problem that alcohol just made worse. Gave up cigars about 10 years ago. My wife was having trouble with caffeine, so I switched to decaf coffee a couple of three years ago. Other than an aspirin in the morning, I'm drug free. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I drink coffee and water. The coffee has 2 calories, the water has 0.

Larro
  • SuzieQNutter
    SuzieQNutter Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eat your calouries - don't drink them.

I didn't drink alcohol anyway. But I was having fruit juice with breakfast and cordial at teat time.

I cut them out and what a difference both to saved $$$ and my weight.

It started my weight loss and I lost 40 kgs in just over a year.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    This thread is a year old, people - I'm sure OP has decided what to do by now. :smile:
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting it for my first hundred days(currently day 31). Partially about physical health, and partially mental. I want to prove to myself that I don't need to be intoxicated to be social so the last 3 times I've gone out with friends I haven't had a lick to drink. The first time sucked, but slowly I've gotten used to being in the bar environment while sober. On the physical aspect it always seemed that I got off track after a particularly hardcore alcohol binge. I'm talking about 5k + calories of alcohol not including meals on a single night and sometimes we would do this twice in a row. So if I took in 8k calories(including food) each night and then didn't work out the next week because my system was so screwed up I was looking at a 20K calorie surplus for the week which not only would destroy my fitness goals, but my motivation to succeed. I don't really expect to have one of those nights again now that I am out of college and need to be somewhat responsible.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have not cut out alcohol all together but I do only drink it every once in a while. I think I have had a 6 pack of blue moon in the fridge for a little over a month now lol

I'll be right over!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    369 of your calories via wine is a lot, given most of us on are 1200 calories a day. You might be missing macronutrients along the way as alcohol does not provide very much nutritionally. :flowerforyou:
    FWIW I don't think "most of us" are on 1200 calories a day. Many of the very successful "veterans" eat quite a bit more than 1200 calories a day.
  • Skq1979
    Skq1979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I cut it out completely. Alcohol is a trigger for me. If I drink I want to eat, if I eat, I gain weight, If I gain weight I have to go buy new fat clothes, If I have to go buy new fat clothes I want to drink........ therefore I don't drink. Problem solved. LOLO
  • Skq1979
    Skq1979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe other people are asking the same question. So doesn't hurt to keep it going!
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking for almost 9 years, so I could address some problems I had through intensive group and individual counseling. What I learned was invaluable. I wouldn't be the person I am now, with the job I have now, without that time of abstinence. Not drinking helped me deal with an out-of-control teenager, too. Luckily there are plenty of free self-help, common-problem groups for whatever challenges a person might be facing.
    One food group I used to go to claimed it wasn't about the food, that the food was just a symptom. I took what I needed, and left the rest, which is my motto in many situations. This helps me not blow a gasket because of all the contradictory and crazy-making information out there.
    I don't see how not drinking for awhile could be bad for anyone. Maybe I know too many drunks!! There's a group for that too! : ^ }
    For me, a short time of not drinking turned into a large chunk of time, and I learned to deal with problems without drinking. Now I am trying for the first time in my life to learn to be rational about food.
    Hope some of this helps!