best beans

Options
Which dried beans do you consider best for maintaining a diet and nutrition?

I've been eating great nothern beans, but a change would be nice.

Replies

• Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    I like black beans, myself, but that's probably because, since I live in the southwest US, black beans are kind of a staple in the local cuisine. I'm pretty sure all beans are pretty much equal in nutrition and, to me, they don't taste markedly different from each other. I guess I tend to like smaller ones, since then a mouthful of whatever I'm eating doesn't seem overwhelmingly "beany" and they'll mix better with other ingredients in the dish without overpowering them. Then again, I do like a good vegan chili with big, meaty dark red kidney beans, so I guess it depends on the dish!
  • alexnguyen78665
    alexnguyen78665 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Black beans have the most favorable ratings if I recall correctly according to the Eat to Live book by Dr. Fuhrman. Something about glycemic index and glycemic load and the dark pigmented skin being loaded with beneficial natural chemicals...

Heck if you're not watching your carbs, all beans are pretty much great for your health. Try them all. I like curried lentils or chickpeas mashed up as an extra flavoring in my turkey sandwiches.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    There was a really good soup/stew I ate recently with sweet potato and chick peas. <3
  • patrnbabe
    patrnbabe Posts: 42
    Options
    All beans have slightly different nutritional makeup. Eat a variety to get the broadest selection of nutrients. Besides, they're all tasty :)
  • Project9
    Project9 Posts: 135
    Options
    Thanks for your enthusitic replies everyone. Very helpful, I just bought some Garbanzo beans, not based on research, but based on I was in the mood for garbanzo...OK, carry on.. :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Any beans that you like and that fit into your calorie and macro goals are the best beans.

Personally, I prefer roasted chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and black beans. I do have a variety of cans of other kinds of beans in my pantry though.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Black Beans, Kidney Beans, Chick Peas, Fava Beans (tssstsssstsss)

tumblr_lz27loxERJ1qcygq0o1_500.gif
  • Project9
    Options
    LOL at Lector...

You can even have the Chianti aslo, fits into the myfitnesspal diet quite well.

..................................................................................Calories.......Carbs.....Fat .......Protein... Sodium.....Sugar

Generic - Wine, Chianti 120ml (4 oz)................. 120 ml..........100.........0.............. 0................0.................0
  • Project9
    Options
    Lara, I'm interested in the roasted beans, how do you do that with dried beans? Never had roasted beans (drinking coffee yes) to eat.