How often do YOU weigh in?

Options

Replies

• RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Every Monday morning I weigh in and record my measurements (bust, waist, bellybutton, hip, Body Fat) on MFP.

Started doing it on Thursdays as well since I made some major changes to my diet.

Weight is fluctuating by up to 2kg/4 pounds a week, but measurements over the past year have all been going down.

Have been thinking that I will cut it back to weighing in once a week, but am undecided which day (as I will generally be bigger & heavier on a Monday than I am on a Thursday morning - ah, vanity).
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Nowadays once a week. It used to be only twice a month. I don't own a scale, so I just do it at my gym.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Whenever I lose and am able to keep that weight for two days.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I do my official weigh ins on Saturday's just so I keep better logs of it, but I weight myself at least every other day (only cause I forget everyday), just to monitor my fluctuations.
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Officially on Friday mornings.. that is the one I record here on MFP.

Else, I weigh myself every few hours a day. I kind of like watching how my weight fluctuates through the day.... but then again the important thing is I don't let it get to me and thankfully, I have a super supportive husband to helps me humor the loss/gain throughout the day.

The only numbers I take seriously are the ones I see on Friday morning.

Hush Hush: I try and have a low sodium meal on Thursday :wink:
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I wrote the following on another thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/999355-how-often-to-you-weigh-yourself

I weigh myself daily but I take the long-term picture into account. I got into the habit of daily weighing in 2001-2002. During that weight loss I took a weekly average:

8058380998_ed08a62411_b.jpg

The averages give a smoother decrease than either daily or weekly numbers because the fluctuations are evened out.

These days I log only a decrease in weight. This shows my progress from Sept. 2012 to Feb. 2013:

130217-30lbsdown-graph.jpg

(To update to the present day, just continue that line at a bit shallower angle.)

The long stretches between diamonds represent plateaus and are where my scale numbers go up and down and up again for a while, until they continue to go down. I just make sure I'm doing the right things and remain patient.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Daily, and I write it down + enter it into MFP. It makes the weight jump around a lot but after doing it for month and months and months (actually.. probably over a year) its given me a really good idea of what makes me gain weight and what my weightloss pattern is.

Lots of people don't like weighing in everyday because they are upset when the loss isn't consistent or by small gains, but if you chart it long term then it's easy to see that small gains are the normal and generally it's moving in a downward pattern

When I was maintaining, weighing in helped keep everything in check. Small gains were fine, but if they stuck around for over a week and a half then I'd either up my workouts for a bit or eat more moderately. Stopped the weight from creeping up without having to actually count calories.

This.

I've been badly bitten by only weighing myself weekly, when i first started trying to lose weight. I saw a gain of 2lbs making me want to jack it in (and clean out the fridge). Anyway, still deep in a funk, I weighed myself the next day and, lo and behold, I had lost 4lbs on the previous day, meaning I actually had a 2lb loss on the previous week.

So, I've decided I need to weigh daily to learn how my body reacts to different foods. I've found that even a moderate amount of booze results in a temporary gain, for example. As long as the trend is down, I'm happy. If the scales don't move, then I remind myself that I'm still 16 lbs lighter than I was and that's something to be proud of.

For me, weekly weighing is setting myself up to fail, because I have no idea if it's a phantom gain or not.
  • mile626
    mile626 Posts: 29
    Options
    I weigh myself daily using a scale that sends my weight and body fat percentage to an online service via wifi.

The benefit of this is that it can show a trendline of my weight, and it also smooths out the bodyfat readings which can be erratic.
  • wfp76
    wfp76 Posts: 26
    Options
    I try to wiegh in every thursday or friday morning. I work 12 hr nights and days so some weeks its thurs, some its fri. never after work always after sleeping for an offical wieght then every now and then during the week to satisfiy my curiosity. when ever you do it try to do it around the same time because wieght can flucuate.
  • joetalk
    joetalk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i try to keep it once a week this allows me a little breathing room as i know my largest loss's are early week and my few treats fall on the weekends, so monday is the day to anti up and see if i need to moderate those treats better :)\
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning when I wake up (unless I'm traveling or wake up very late).

Once I've maintained any amount of weight loss for more than 4 or 5 days, I log it into MFP. This means I usually update my weight on MFP a couple of times per month, and on any given morning I probably weigh 1-2 lb less than I've logged here but I'd always rather feel ahead of the game.

So silly...but for some reason I feel like saying I'm at 232 on MFP when I MAY still be 235 would somehow jinx everything LOL
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    once a week every sunday morning when i wake up
  • doc2zombie
    doc2zombie Posts: 16
    Options
    My dietician at the VA clinic recommended this site to me so I could get a better hold on exactly what I eat, and also give me some motivation to keep on track by weighing myself.

Her suggestion was to weigh only once a week upon rising in the morning and before breakfast. I have chosen Saturday morning.

:glasses:
  • lea123e
    lea123e Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask the same question!

I'm a compulsive weigher! I'm thinking of ditching my scales and just use the ones at the gym every fortnight. My theory being that if I know I have a calorie deficit every day I should be losi g weight. The scales are only one way to measure success, I've often been disappointed with the scale reading and ended up comfort eating!! So for me, it's best to weigh less regularly I think :)
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Every freakin' day!
  • iwantodance
    iwantodance Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I told myself I was going to wait 2 weeks from my starting point but, at 5 days today and feeling so good, I couldn't resist. I've lost 2 lbs! I'm so motivated and excited about that!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning when I wake up (unless I'm traveling or wake up very late).

Once I've maintained any amount of weight loss for more than 4 or 5 days, I log it into MFP. This means I usually update my weight on MFP a couple of times per month, and on any given morning I probably weigh 1-2 lb less than I've logged here but I'd always rather feel ahead of the game.

So silly...but for some reason I feel like saying I'm at 232 on MFP when I MAY still be 235 would somehow jinx everything LOL

^^This! I hop on every morning for a look-see but I don't get worry if its up a lb or so. When it drops below my last logged weight though, I have a three day rule and if it's still off on day three that's logged.

It works for me but I think the important thing is not to obsess about it - if you find yourself getting upset because you've gone up a few lb without rationalising it could just be water then maybe leave the scales in a cupboard for a while.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but I take the long-term picture into account. I got into the habit of daily weighing in 2001-2002. During that weight loss I took a weekly average...

I do the same, though I've only been recording my Monday morning weights on MFP.

I recommend daily weigh-ins, with a huge caveat: you need to do some math to find the difference between your actual weight loss and the daily fluctuations, which are much larger. My weight fluctuates as much as 4 lbs. over the course of a day, while my goal of losing a pound a week means that I'll lose only a little more than 2 oz. every day, just 3% of my daily fluctuation.

Your weight fluctuates depending on water, salt, and fiber intake, and other factors having nothing to do with calories. Using an exponentially weighted average can help you filter out the noise and focus on the trend, as John Walker explains in "The Hacker's Diet" (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/). The chapter on "The Rubber Bag" explains, briefly, the source of these fluctuations. The chapter on "Signal and Noise" explains how some simple math can filter them out. Walker explains how to do the math, but you can also set up a free account on his server to do it for you, or use a service like Beeminder.

If you want to see how this works in practice, look at my Beeminder weight loss graph: https://www.beeminder.com/brianogilvie/goals/weigh

The dots are my actual morning weight for the last 5+ months (except when I was traveling and didn't have a scale). The skinny purple line is my exponentially smoothed weighted average. Notice how there are periods such as late March/early April where my daily weigh-ins didn't seem to go down (the rose-colored dots are Beeminder's "optimistic" view of progress, and it's flat then. However, the weights were still all below the skinny purple line, so I could be pretty sure that I was still losing weight.

Meanwhile, if I just looked at my Monday morning weights, I would have had three plateaus of 3-5 weeks each, just due to the vagaries of water and solid retention.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Every Sat. or Sun. I skip the weekly weigh during TOM.
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly. And every fortnight I record body fat, water and BMI too.