Quinoa: I'm new to this stuff... recipe help???

Options
darce27dk
darce27dk Posts: 17 Member
Hi! I am starting to venture out on healthy eating. I heard quinoa is a high protein low carb good alternative to rice, potatoes all that (which I love love love to eat). I have never cooked with it and don't know what to cook with it. I would like to start since it has such GREAT health benefits (from what I have read). Recipes, tips, advice would help tremendously for a newbie in the Quinoa world! Thanks!!! :)

Replies

• MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • moonflower0906
    Options
    This one has olive oil so it might be a little high in calories but I do love this tomato caprese quinoa salad: http://fitfoodiefinds.com/2011/06/fresh-caprese-quinoa-salad/

I love these quinoa kale patties: http://yummysupper.blogspot.com/2012/09/quinoa-kale-patties.html

My quick go-to quinoa meal is also a quinoa black bean bowl. I seriously just put quinoa and canned black beans in a bowl with salsa. I saute up some peppers and onions if I have them and you can put some shredded cheese in if you want too. I always keep black beans in the house so this is what I do when I can't find anything to eat pretty much!
  • dmt9544
    dmt9544 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lots of great recipes online by Wendy Polisi, many are available without buying the Recipe eBooks.

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/category/quinoa-recipes

I've made this one a couple of times and really like it.

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/italian-zucchini-quinoa-casserole-2
  • brucebalding
    Options
    Salad mix....you know ,it has lettuce, carrots, cabbage in a bag...add green beans, a diced chicken breast, cucumber, Even a large salad like this is only 200 calories, another good one is yellow squash, zucchini, spray some PAM cooking spray in a fry pan, slice up the items in semi thin slices and get them sizzling....after you get them with a little brown on them poor in 1/8th of a cup of water and put the lid on,,,,,let it steam, turning them every 3 minutes. drain the water out of the pan, spray it with a little "I cant believe itrs not butter" add seasoning -salt-pepper-etc....2 cups of this is only 60 calories. Ive lost over 120 lbs eating like this in only 6 months.....you can do it
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Cooked with coconut mlk its was geat. creamy and sm
    ooth but higher in calories so adjust. accordingly.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Yay! I love quinoa, I like to cook it and dice up zucchini and butternut squash to add to it. If you are really challenged Trader Joes makes a pre made Quinoa that you can just reheat on the stove top. It goes great with fish and lean meats, or you can go vegetarian and just add a bunch of different veggies to it like ( peppers, carrots, peas, zucchini, kale, spinach). You can cook it in low sodium chicken broth to add a little flavor and thats about all you need. I'm sure there are also some great recipes online.

I really love quinoa and encourage all my clients to try it out and add it to there diet. I normally make Salmon and Quinoa, just adding the veggies in the quinoa.
  • daniellewillson3
    Options
    Cooked with coconut mlk its was geat. creamy and sm
    ooth but higher in calories so adjust. accordingly.

that is a great idea! You could do like light coconut milk or half coconut milk half almond milk.... yum!
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    A little time consuming but great for a party - for the 4th of July I grilled some pineapple and sweet potatoes, diced 'em up and tossed them into quinoa with a lime-honey-olive oil dressing. Optional crushed red pepper and cotija cheese crumbles. It got gobbled up at two different barbeques.
  • LyndaMRou
    LyndaMRou Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this chili recipe -- I've made it several times and my hubby is a fan too.

http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2012/10/black-bean-sweet-potato-and-quinoa-chili-with-smoked-chipotle/

Also, I like to toss it into a greek salad for some variation!

Looking forward to trying some of the other suggestions. Also, red quinoa is particularly yummy and has a bit of a crunch.

Lynda
  • LyndaMRou
    LyndaMRou Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My quick go-to quinoa meal is also a quinoa black bean bowl. I seriously just put quinoa and canned black beans in a bowl with salsa. I saute up some peppers and onions if I have them and you can put some shredded cheese in if you want too. I always keep black beans in the house so this is what I do when I can't find anything to eat pretty much!

Oh, that sounds fabulous and a perfect idea for when my hubby is out of town!
  • Momof52010
    Momof52010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    All the suggestions sound marvelous. I may have to get some quinoa and try it out.
  • Teyah04
    Teyah04 Posts: 5
    Options
    Shrimp quinoa spring rolls!! So yummy! :)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I honestly need a QUINOA genius because i have no clue how to make it taste good

IN4RECIPES
  • schertz72
    schertz72 Posts: 3
    Options
    Sounds yummy..thanks for the tips
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • amyjax
    amyjax Posts: 102
    Options
    Cook some in almond milk (or normal cow's milk) at night, leave to cool and put in the fridge. Eat for breakfast with chopped fresh fruit, nuts, berries and/or a big spoon of natural yoghurt.
  • laurachick222
    laurachick222 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to cook up a batch and store it in my fridge. I usually do 1/2 cup Quinoa and a whole cup of water, cover and let boil for 15 mins or unitl there is a thread around each grain.

Then during the week I can easily add some into my cold salads, make into a breakfast by heating up and adding fruit and brown sugar, stir frying veggies or just about anything you want. Add it to chicken dishes or meatloaf too! :)
  • 79smudge
    79smudge Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's good in stuffed peppers with veg.